feed consumption cow versus horse

Help Support CattleToday:

cowspider

Reaction score
HELP, I need documented facts on Carry Capacity on cows versus horses. I have been told 1 horse eats as much as 3 cows?? any help is greatly helpful, Maybe a web site??

Thanks

cattle will eat between 2 and 3 % of their liveweight per day on a forage based diet on a dry matter basis, varies a lot though with breed, sex, age, weight, etc.

[/quote]I have been told 1 horse eats as much as 3 cows??
Havent got a clue about horses, though I suspect its the other way round.

Here's a website on horses:

http://www.equinenet.org/life/feeding.html

Percent of Body Weight A Horse Should Eat Per Day
(dependent on age and condition)

Mature horse at rest 1.50% - 2.0%
First 8 months of pregnancy 1.50% - 2.0%
Last 3 months of pregnancy 1.50% - 2.25%
Lactation 2.25% - 2.75%
Weanling 2.50% - 3.0%
12 to 18 months 2.25% - 2.50%
18 to 24 months 2.00% - 2.25%
Two-year-old to maturity 1.75% - 2.25%

The above chart was compiled by Ginger A. Rich, Associate Professor, Department of Animal Sciences, Equine Sciences Facility at Colorado State University. Feeding and Caring of the Underweight Horse, lecture presented at the National Horse Abuse Investigators School, Denver, CO.

You should visit with your local extension people to find out the carrying capacity of anything on your land.

It's not just the diffence in how many pounds of forage a horse eats versus a cow. Because of their digestive tact, cows can eat stuff that horses can't/won't, thus make use of more of the forage available.

I have cows and horses and I think their grazing requirements are similar here, or perhaps a little less for the horses although the body weight is about equal. We get about 50 inches of rain per year and my pastures are bahia and bermuda grass.
gabby

cowspider":3bcvyz10 said:
HELP, I need documented facts on Carry Capacity on cows versus horses. I have been told 1 horse eats as much as 3 cows?? any help is greatly helpful, Maybe a web site??

Thanks

The biggest difference between carrying capacity for horses and cows is that cows tend to graze without any unnecessary walking. The cows put their heads down, graze, take a step, but keep grazing. Horses on the other hand will eat a few bites, walk a foot, maybe 2 feet, eat another few bites, walk a few more feet, etc. Horses trample out more than they eat so their carrying capacity is higher. Watch them in the pasture and you will see what I mean.

cowspider":3hrn23xg said:

Thanks

They won't necessary eat 3 times as much, but they do about 3 times as much damage. As mentioned above a cow does not wander around as much as a horse. A cow can not eat as close to the ground as a horse. Horses will bite grass off close to the ground, putting it more at risk for drought and weeds. Horses also tend to eat the best grasses then go to another area for more of the best stuff.

Sounds like you people don't like horses! I like mine a lot and they haven't ruined my pastures. Riding clears my thick head and it's a great way to check on my cows.
gabby

That would be an completely incorrect conclusion you have drawn, Gabby. I love horses, particularly Legs, our sorrel mare but facts are facts.

I have nothing against horses as I have a few myself but I know damn well a horse will outeat a cow. It is really noticeable in the winter. Put a 1600# round bale in a feeder in front of 3 horses and it is lucky to last a week. My old man used to call em hayburners. Like I said though I have no bones against horses as I like them too.

gabby":avtl8iqm said:
Sounds like you people don't like horses! I like mine a lot and they haven't ruined my pastures. Riding clears my thick head and it's a great way to check on my cows.
gabby

Actually I am thinking of trading in my 4 wheeler on a horse. I was born and raised with horses and miss them. They are so much easier to work cattle with if you have a good one. They are a real pain in the butt also. After all is said and done though if they can work they are worth it. I wouldn't have one just as pleasure horse though. Just give me a good ole cracker horse and I will be happy.

Bama":hr53x9du said:
cowspider":hr53x9du said:

Thanks

They won't necessary eat 3 times as much, but they do about 3 times as much damage. As mentioned above a cow does not wander around as much as a horse. A cow can not eat as close to the ground as a horse. Horses will bite grass off close to the ground, putting it more at risk for drought and weeds. Horses also tend to eat the best grasses then go to another area for more of the best stuff.
We have Horses too. They never stop to even lift there head up. Always eating. problem is they will pull some grasses up by the root.At least cattle will take a break and rest. Keeps the Wife and kids happy.They like to ride a lot. Besides, I like riding things with steering wheels and brakes.

Best way I know to ruin a perfectly good pasture is to throw in a couple of horses. As was said above, they eat close to the ground (they have teeth on the top ;-) ) and will preferentially go back to eat the new growth, which results in lots of bare spots in the field. My thoughts about carrying capacity

1 horse = 1 cow
2 horses = 5 cows
3 horses = dead pasture
6 horses, 4 mules, 2 jacks and a partridge in a pear tree = an idiot with a wife and kids who run his life :p

Lee

I ain't got nothing against horses I have 2 running in my pasture. I bought them to elk hunt with. I hauled 3 horses and 2 mules to Idaho from Alabama once, only once, but that is another story. I don't work the cattle with them. Its much faster to saddle the 4 wheeler to check on them. A good dog works best at penning them, for me anyway. They are just there eating grass that cows could be eating. The kids ride them occasionaly. Those horses have cost me a lot over the years. Feed, feet, and such. There is a lot of money in horses. Unlike cattle the money stays in the horse.

Bama":2mrtnn6a said:
I ain't got nothing against horses I have 2 running in my pasture. I bought them to elk hunt with. I hauled 3 horses and 2 mules to Idaho from Alabama once, only once, but that is another story. I don't work the cattle with them. Its much faster to saddle the 4 wheeler to check on them. A good dog works best at penning them, for me anyway. They are just there eating grass that cows could be eating. The kids ride them occasionaly. Those horses have cost me a lot over the years. Feed, feet, and such. There is a lot of money in horses. Unlike cattle the money stays in the horse.

How much work will a cow do for you? Granted, horses aren't for everybody but they can be very useful and enjoyable.
gabby

My cows do a lot of work. They make babies. Those babies make money. Those cows work to turn all that green grass into beef. Beef equals money. I ain't got nothing against people that want to keep horses. To each his/her own. I'm more interested in a profit. My two horses are high maintenance.

10 years

$666.00 hay
$260.00 grain
$1800.00 feet care
$780.00 Dewormer and med.

$3506.00 To keep them 10 years.

I don't get any colts out of them so no income there. Now I won't be able to get near the price for them as I paid so I am at least $3500 in the hole. Some people can raise horses and make a profit. I'm just not one of them.

horses need to run on 3ac a hd. so they take up the room of 2 cows in the pasture.they can be hard to catch an very stubborn lest was my was that way. could get on 4-wheeler an have job done fore he is saddled . but all said they are fun to have. scott

bigbull338":3qzcrae3 said:
horses need to run on 3ac a hd. so they take up the room of 2 cows in the pasture.they can be hard to catch an very stubborn lest was my was that way. could get on 4-wheeler an have job done fore he is saddled . but all said they are fun to have. scott

It's just not the same riding out among the cows on a 4 wheeler vs. on a horse. No old west cowboy romance on a 4 wheeler, even if you wear a big cowboy hat while you're driving it. :D

gabby":1t5lztnd said:
bigbull338":1t5lztnd said:

It's just not the same riding out among the cows on a 4 wheeler vs. on a horse. No old west cowboy romance on a 4 wheeler, even if you wear a big cowboy hat while you're driving it. :D

I forgot to mention that horses don't sling wet cow poop up on you! :lol:
gabby

gabby":3tjxua2y said:
bigbull338":3tjxua2y said:

Ranching is not a 'romance', it is a lifestyle and a way to make a living. There are too darned many things that need to be done. To not do them in the fastest, most efficient way possible is not only counterproductive, it costs money.