Feed and Forage Calculator

Help Support CattleToday:

RanchManager

Reaction score
Hi,
I see many folks here are new to raising cattle and could use a hand in formulating feed. You will find a spreadsheet here:

http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/exten/cowculator/

You will find a link to an Excel spreadsheet here and directions. This was developed by professors from the U of Oklahoma. You will have to have Microsoft Excel installed on your machine to use this.

This is a good starting point. I use a version of this that was altered and added to by the University of Oregon. Whenever I get a new source of roughage, protein, and/or energy I am unfamiliar with (like ensiled beet tops this year), I run my feeding ideas through this spreadsheet. It helps to balance a ration and compute costs based on the percentage of feed types you have. There are many different hay/feed templates you can start with if you do not have a lab test for your feed stuff. You will most likely find one that is similar to your feed sources.

Again, this is a really good starting point. I've always said feeding is part science, part art. This will help you with the science. Experience will help you develop the art.

If you like this and want my expanded version, I would be happy to share it with you. Just leave me an email address or FTP site to put it on. Hope this helps.

Gee I'd like to try it but it seems to need Windows 95. I wonder if there is a version that will run with Vista.

nap":9qgsst29 said:
Gee I'd like to try it but it seems to need Windows 95. I wonder if there is a version that will run with Vista.
Don;t know about vista but it works with 98 and XP

nap":2l9qing4 said:

System Requirements:

Any IBM Compatible Machine with a 486 processor or higher
Windows 95 Operating System
MUST HAVE Microsoft Excel software or Internet Explorer 5.5.
A VGA (or better) graphics display.
At least 8MB of memory (RAM); 16MB Recommended

I would read that as minimum requirements. Although Vista does seem to a bit hardheaded at times.

RanchManager":21lgjn11 said:
Hi,
I see many folks here are new to raising cattle and could use a hand in formulating feed. You will find a spreadsheet here:

http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/exten/cowculator/

You will find a link to an Excel spreadsheet here and directions. This was developed by professors from the U of Oklahoma. You will have to have Microsoft Excel installed on your machine to use this.

If you don't have Excel, OpenOffice will read/write it too (http://www.openoffice.org/).

Hmm ... the doc uses macros which openoffice doesn't like (since they can contain viruses). Best stick with excel on this one.

It works on vista with office 2002 and I didn't show any viruses (looked at the zip one). I did find some good info on it and has a nice setup. Someone put some time into making that.