Feed analysis on cotton seed blend

Help Support CattleToday:

rc

Reaction score
i posted the other day about a cotton seed fiber blend. Here is the analysis on what it contains.
Crude protien: 13%
Crude fat:6.92%
Crude fiber:6.1%
Calcium:.077%
Calcium:.079% (This was listed twice)
Phosphorus:.34%

I am putting out 160 pounds per day for 21 cows, some in poor condition and 1 roll of hay. That's about 7 pounds of the feed a day. Do yall think this will be enough to get em in better shape?

rc

7 lb/hd/day will provide .91lb crude protein. Per Morrison, this would be adequate for a dry cow in good BCS. IMO-For dry cows of low BCS, would probably need 9-10lb/hd/day to gain weight. For nursing cows, probably need 10-12 lb/day to maintain weight & 12-15 lb/day for weight gain. The fat content will provide a good source of energy.

If all cows are of equal BCS, it would probably be beneficial to separate dry cows from nursing cows. This would allow the nursing cows to get the additional feed they need, without overfeeding the dry cows.

The nutrtional needs from highest to lowest are:
1. Thin nursing cows
2. Medium fleshed nursing cows & thin dry cows
3. Medium fleshed dry cows

JMO

Good luck & best regards

Brock

Thanks, I guess I'll up it to 3 bags or 240 lbs. daily. Maybe i'll just have to bite the bullet through February and some of march. I'll be careful not to let em get down again.

Latest posts