Federal grant

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I had a lady tell me that there is Federal or local grants for cattle pastures. We have had the worst drought in 20 years and my Friend says there is a site that you put your zip code in and it shows who and what grants are available. Don't get me wrong I don't want a free handout but we all have paid a good amount of taxes. It must be Federal because she lives out of State.

Contact your County extension agent or your USDA office. They both are good resources and can both help you with this among other things. Get to know them.

Depending on the area they also have cost share programs for a lot of different things.

Florida cowgirl":19c7mh3x said:
I had a lady tell me that there is Federal or local grants for cattle pastures. We have had the worst drought in 20 years and my Friend says there is a site that you put your zip code in and it shows who and what grants are available. Don't get me wrong I don't want a free handout but we all have paid a good amount of taxes. It must be Federal because she lives out of State.
YGBSM !!!!!! Then you really don't want or need a grant...you just need a loan.

I forget the particulars and even the name of the program, but lots of folks in Texas got $$$$ in 2011's drought. I read some on it, counted the # of hoops I would need to jump thru and decided I would pass on it, but it amounted to free money so I guess it was a grant of some kind.

Go to fsa and certify your grazing land and pay the fee( I think it's like 250$ per farm) and that should get you fed insurance that will payout during disasters, so it's not a handout it's getting covered by the gov if you pay your premium,if you ask them they will clarify but it's not nearly as much trouble as it sounds

Turkeybird":1jvmpx9f said:
Go to fsa and certify your grazing land and pay the fee( I think it's like 250$ per farm) and that should get you fed insurance that will payout during disasters, so it's not a handout it's getting covered by the gov if you pay your premium,if you ask them they will clarify but it's not nearly as much trouble as it sounds

Ours was not quite that much. I think it depends on several things like farm size and number of cows. But your right it's not really a handout.

I participated in the program in 2011 that graybeard mentioned. It was simple and paid well. It was based on acreage and normal carrying capacity. The money allowed me to purchase some feed and hay and retain some decent cows that otherwise would have gone to the packers.
One thing I don't understand was why you have to pay taxes on it???

Extension service and FSA or whatever you refer to them. They are supposed to be there to HELP and administer these programs.

How are things going for you? Didn't you take over your dad's operation when you lost him this past year? Hope it is going well, seems like you are sticking with it.

Here in Georgia USDA offers drought relief $, depending on acres and head count. Taxable income.
NRCS offers percentage financial assistance for cross fencing, wells, freeze proof water tanks, erosion control, etc.
They said beginner farmers, less than 10 years, could qualify for up to 90 percent.
I'm waiting for a call from them now. They inspected my place back in November.
Yes I would contact your county:
Agent
USDA
NRCS
FSA

Good luck!

Latest posts