February 4th and what?!?!?!?

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 5, 2005
Messages
3,473
Reaction score
27
Location
New Roads, LA
Granted I haven't even been on this earth for a half century yet, but I never have seen clover 2 -3 " tall in late January/early February. 76 here today, with rain all day. I was able to put out hay before the rain really started coming down hard this morning - (even after this front we're still going to be in the high 60's), but I noticed riding through the pastures on the tractor; every pasture is green. Normally we would still be brown, and at least a few weeks away from any green showing it's face (not counting the ryegrass ofcourse). It looks like my pastures are at least a month ahead (As in they look like early to mid March now)

Here's hoping that everyone else out there (especially those dry Texans), are getting what they need and having a mild nice winter.

Puxatonney (SP?) Phil saw his shadow, so I'm supposed to have 6 more weeks of winter. If this is winter, bring it on!

Anyone else having green pastures now?
 

TexasBred

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 15, 2007
Messages
30,788
Reaction score
290
Location
Heart of Texas
Got none of this weeks rain Cypress but it's wet over here. At least we're off to a good start for crops and pasture for springtime. Coure will have to hope and pray that the good rains continue. All I've got right now is a small group of breeding age heifers and they're squirting over a 7 wire fence from all the green stuff. ;-)
 
OP
cypressfarms

cypressfarms

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 5, 2005
Messages
3,473
Reaction score
27
Location
New Roads, LA
TexasBred":ia728h7k said:
heifers and they're squirting over a 7 wire fence from all the green stuff. ;-)


To some this may seem gross, I guess. To me, it brings a smile. A friend of my dad always started off working cows by smearing his hands with cow poop. He would then announce, "It just aint right if you don't have cow ---- on your hands working cattle!"
 

cmf1

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 2, 2007
Messages
962
Reaction score
0
Location
Southeast Louisiana
Can't believe how green it is here.
Haven't pulled a roll of hay out of the barn in almost three weeks now.
Just turned them in here yesterday.

HERDRYEFEB2012.jpg
 

bigbull338

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 28, 2005
Messages
16,565
Reaction score
0
Location
texas
it amazes me at how green our grass is,an how much its growing.we put out 3 bales of hay every week or 2.an they arnt eating hay that fast.
 

Kathie in Thorp

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 1, 2011
Messages
4,710
Reaction score
9
Location
Pac NW (the Drier Part)
Y'all make me chuckle, and be envious. You're in the South; you've got green grass (those of you that have it)! Enjoy!

Still freezing here at night, although today was a beautiful, bright day. Yesterday morning when I left for work, I put the Jeep in reverse -- she didn't move. Put her in drive and she didn't want to move much. Reverted to 4X4, because tires were froze in the mud puddle.
 
OP
cypressfarms

cypressfarms

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 5, 2005
Messages
3,473
Reaction score
27
Location
New Roads, LA
Kathie in Thorp":2q0g5bb0 said:
Y'all make me chuckle, and be envious. You're in the South; you've got green grass (those of you that have it)! Enjoy!

Still freezing here at night, although today was a beautiful, bright day. Yesterday morning when I left for work, I put the Jeep in reverse -- she didn't move. Put her in drive and she didn't want to move much. Reverted to 4X4, because tires were froze in the mud puddle.


I was under the impression that the country as a whole was having a mild winter - excluding this new storm that dumped on Denver and is now going through Nebraska?
 

highgrit

Well-known member
Joined
May 5, 2010
Messages
5,689
Reaction score
1
Location
Helena,GA.
Is a good hard freeze going to kill the clover? I sure hope not, I don't believe winter is over. We had a couple of cold days here, killed most of the oats that I planted this year. Sure would be nice if the temperature stays out of the teens. I don't know what it means but the flys are bad already and some of the trees have blooms also.
 

ddg1263

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 22, 2008
Messages
109
Reaction score
0
I sure have been blessed this winter. I put out some rye grass for the first time and I actually have more grass this winter than I had back in the summer. I pulled the cows off the rye just last week and the rain and the warm days are bringing it back fast.... I don't think I would have made it through the winter if the lord had not blessed me so much with great weather.
 

ABrauny

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 2, 2011
Messages
285
Reaction score
0
Location
Wisconsin
We don't have green grass yet, but we do have lots of mud and 40 degree temps. Spreading manure today was a harrowing experience.
 

Kathie in Thorp

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 1, 2011
Messages
4,710
Reaction score
9
Location
Pac NW (the Drier Part)
cypressfarms":18ib3nit said:
Kathie in Thorp":18ib3nit said:
Y'all make me chuckle, and be envious. You're in the South; you've got green grass (those of you that have it)! Enjoy!

Still freezing here at night, although today was a beautiful, bright day. Yesterday morning when I left for work, I put the Jeep in reverse -- she didn't move. Put her in drive and she didn't want to move much. Reverted to 4X4, because tires were froze in the mud puddle.


I was under the impression that the country as a whole was having a mild winter - excluding this new storm that dumped on Denver and is now going through Nebraska?
Wrong! Hasn't been a mild winter every place. Not here. Major highway passes have been closed here several times. Dave, are you past flooding over there in W. WA?
 

JSCATTLE

Well-known member
Joined
May 4, 2011
Messages
2,295
Reaction score
1
Location
S.E TEXAS
Every thing here is green the rye grass grows a couple inches a day . It's soggy now . I hope it's this wet this summer . My coastal field is greening up . And there are patches of clOver 10 feet across and 6 inches tall . Some of it is blooming .
 
A

Anonymous

I don't expect any other frost here this winter so i seeded the new field for the permanent pasture today. Were supposed to get rain tomorrow and a couple other good shots in the 2 wk forecast. If not I'll irrigate but it's worth the risk so I can get a 30 day jump on the growing season.
 

Kathie in Thorp

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 1, 2011
Messages
4,710
Reaction score
9
Location
Pac NW (the Drier Part)
hooknline":2nhsb7ul said:
I don't expect any other frost here this winter so i seeded the new field for the permanent pasture today. Were supposed to get rain tomorrow and a couple other good shots in the 2 wk forecast. If not I'll irrigate but it's worth the risk so I can get a 30 day jump on the growing season.
Wish I could say that here -- we are a couple months from it.
 
A

Anonymous

It's a gamble kathie. Only had a hair over 2" in the last 2 months. I'll only irrigate to get the grass established but we should be into our peak rain and growth season before too long. I hope anyway
 

Kathie in Thorp

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 1, 2011
Messages
4,710
Reaction score
9
Location
Pac NW (the Drier Part)
hooknline":eia0wf50 said:
It's a gamble kathie. Only had a hair over 2" in the last 2 months. I'll only irrigate to get the grass established but we should be into our peak rain and growth season before too long. I hope anyway
Hook -- Hope you get everything, every little bit of water you need, to do what you need to do! If I could send you SOME of my snow that's annoying, I would! But we do need to keep some here -- snow pack up in the mountains, that will provide us w/ irrigation in the summer.
 

1982vett

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 3, 2008
Messages
9,522
Reaction score
318
Location
Central Texas
cypressfarms":1kkck2ta said:
Anyone else having green pastures now?

Since I was on full hay feeding duties last August, September, October and into November...I guess it's only fair I have fed 2 (two) rolls since January 1st. Granted I have just 27 cows left....I'm getting to save the hay I have left for Summer feeding.... :roll:

Oh....and 4.25 inches last night..... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: ...tank is about a foot from running over.
 

Douglas

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 13, 2008
Messages
885
Reaction score
4
Location
Central North Carolina
ddg1263":1apxuc52 said:
I sure have been blessed this winter. I put out some rye grass for the first time and I actually have more grass this winter than I had back in the summer. I pulled the cows off the rye just last week and the rain and the warm days are bringing it back fast.... I don't think I would have made it through the winter if the lord had not blessed me so much with great weather.
Amen
 

SRBeef

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 22, 2007
Messages
2,931
Reaction score
1
Location
SW Wisconsin
1982vett":2z0bvekp said:
cypressfarms":2z0bvekp said:
Anyone else having green pastures now?

Since I was on full hay feeding duties last August, September, October and into November...I guess it's only fair I have fed 2 (two) rolls since January 1st. Granted I have just 27 cows left....I'm getting to save the hay I have left for Summer feeding.... :roll:

Oh....and 4.25 inches last night..... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: ...tank is about a foot from running over.

Good for you, vett!

No grass here and won't be grazing until about May 1. They are still pushing snow aside to find some old grass when they get tired of hay. I am ahead (or behind) last year's hay pace and plan. If this continues will have a few more bales left over for late summer emergencies than planned. But a lot of Feb and March to get through yet. Lots of snow out west today.

It is really good to hear of your rain!
Jim
 

1982vett

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 3, 2008
Messages
9,522
Reaction score
318
Location
Central Texas
SRBeef":1jj1cn7h said:
No grass here and won't be grazing until about May 1. They are still pushing snow aside to find some old grass when they get tired of hay. I am ahead (or behind) last year's hay pace and plan. If this continues will have a few more bales left over for late summer emergencies than planned. But a lot of Feb and March to get through yet. Lots of snow out west today.

It is really good to hear of your rain!
Jim

Sort of overshot my herd reduction...Back in November I was trying to hold as many as I could till mid January and not counting on any green grazing...planned for it being cold. Even if wet, if it were cold like last winter not much green would have grown, but it turned out very mild so now I've sold off to many... but not going to fester over that. Was a decision that had to be made and I made one. I've got 20 acres of oats that hasn't had a cow on it..another 15 that was grazed once but nothing on it for close to 3 weeks. Getting electric partition fences back up and hot. Might be a good Spring hay season...if the weather co-operates. :lol2:
 

Latest posts

Top