Fawns

Help Support CattleToday:

I had a doe walk around the yard today.. didn't look like she was round enough to be pregnant so there's probably a little one around somewhere... Hopefully I don't find it with the swather

Unfortunately I ran 2 over with the discbine last Monday mowing for my boss. Hay was thick no way I could have seen them.

ohiosteve":vxrvf2qs said:
Unfortunately I ran 2 over with the discbine last Monday mowing for my boss. Hay was thick no way I could have seen them.
I (well they) have been incredibly lucky, I've always managed to stop in time.. sometimes only 1 foot away from them though

Ran one out of the hay last week while mowing. Don't think we hit any, this Spring cutting. Now the turtles and terrapins wasn't as lucky. Had a Doe cross the road in front of my sister in law and me yesterday followed by a little bity squirt. As we slowed down and paused to watch them cross sounded like a little thumb hit the back end of the car. I'm guessing another came out a bit late and ran into the car but I assume it's okay because we didn't see anything in the mirror as we left.

Stocker Steve":1ii4nt0y said:
Caustic Burno":1ii4nt0y said:
Fence you posted a couple weeks ago about the fawn crop.
They are here in mass now looks to be a big crop.

I thought deer bred a lot later in the south, than in the north?
Rut here is usually last of October through first couple weeks of November.

I try to help em out this time of the with my ten barb fence. It doesn't take em long to figure out where the gaps are. This is along my road out it's fenced down both sides. I just missed the doe showing the fawns the hole. On the left side of the road you can see one fawn has crossed, the other one just about to figure it out.

I put a book pole on the back of 2 tractors, and drag a field with a heavy 150' rope before cutting hay. That'll mostly just find turkey nest. Sometimes a fawn will just lay there for it.

Latest posts