Favorites

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Do you have a favorite cow and if so what makes her special to you? My favorites are usually old and get to the top of my favorite list by doing a good job. This doesn't mean they are perfect cows or the best looking cow in the herd just that they do a good job and do it consistently.

One of my favorites is 525 registration 15394906 she has had 9 calves with a calving interval of 370 days weaning ration of 104 on 9 calves and yearling ratio of 102 on 5 head. Not the most beautiful cow in the herd but sure the kind that earns her keep.

photo of 525 taken on 9/11 she is due to calves to Gizmo Juneau 1221 on 11/4/2016 with calf number 10.

Another favorite is 811 registration 16358620 she is a daughter of 525. 811 has a calving interval of 367 days on 6 calves a weaning ratio of 104 on 6 calves and a yearling ratio of 102 on 4 head. Again not going to win a beauty contest but pretty is as pretty does.

photo taken on 9/11/2016 due AI to S A V Resource on 9/29/2016. Her 2015 Consensus calf is at the Florida Bull Test he is pretty sporty.

So who is your favorite cow and why?

This is my favorite girl, #19. She is a 8 year old Net Worth daughter(16253765). She is due any day now with her 7th calf with a 364 day calving interval. No matter what bull we breed her to she always brings in a good calf. I wish I had a bunch more just like her.

W C R Mary 845U Reg: AAA 16175571 ... She is a little 4 frame cow that brings in a nice calf every year... She has a nice looking bull calf this year..
She has a weaning ratio of 107 on 6 head.. I believe we have 18 head of cows that trace back to her thru heifers or bulls we kept.. She is a Bannon of Wye UMF 8420 daughter who's mgs is Indreland Traveler 2508... She makes beautiful daughter's that produce well..

My second choice would be W C R Katherines Lass 017X... Another 4 frame cow- she is an O C C Prestige 672P daughter with Shoshone Felix 6310 J O D as her mgs...We have 4 of her daughters we have kept in the herd..

I have a lot of favorites but My Funny Valentine (answers to Valentine or Val) is a top contender. She was orphaned at 4 months and is very independent around the herd but needy with me. Had her 1st calf last year and we had seen our neighbors bull in our pasture but was hopeful our bull had got to her first. Nope, had to pull a 102 lb bull calf but she was an awesome mama & bred right back - coming down to the barn where we calve out the heifers & bellowing for me to let me know she was in labor with #2, calved within 30 minutes. She doesn't always eat with the rest of the herd but knows where we live and will slip away from the herd and stand along the fence facing the garage, softly mooing Hellooooooo until we realize she's there and reward her with cubes. Spoiled rotten but worth it. Here she is, waiting for her private dining experience :)

Beautiful cows posted so far!

Here's a couple of my favorites:
IMG_0659sm_zpsvlx2e1p8.jpg

have to include our old girl #13, she is 17 yrs old. Purebred BA. Bought her 8 years ago and have sold multiple bulls from her and will have 3 daughters in the herd out of her counting her heifer calf that she is raising right now. Have 1 grand-daughter in the herd, and will probably keep another one this year. Never has the biggest weaning weights, but always a real well put together calf.

IMG_9872sm_zpsanufk0v8.jpg

a commercial sim x cow. #15. not sure how old she is, bought her from a neighbours dispersal sale 8 years ago and she was I'd say at least a 5 or 6 yr old cow then. She's a big cow who raises a big calf and is the best 'lead' cow a person could ask for. When we are moving cows sometimes it's a 5+ mile walk for them. She might not be the first out of the gate (she'll never break into a run like some of the younger ones) but within a 1/2 mile she's usually at the front of the line and once she's there the rest just fall in line and follow her all the way home. I always tell her she better start training a younger cow to replace her.

I couldn't decide on any of the red girls right now. I have too many favorites!

gizmom":3f0gtdma said:
Do you have a favorite cow and if so what makes her special to you? My favorites are usually old and get to the top of my favorite list by doing a good job. This doesn't mean they are perfect cows or the best looking cow in the herd just that they do a good job and do it consistently.

One of my favorites is 525 registration 15394906 she has had 9 calves with a calving interval of 370 days weaning ration of 104 on 9 calves and yearling ratio of 102 on 5 head. Not the most beautiful cow in the herd but sure the kind that earns her keep.

photo of 525 taken on 9/11 she is due to calves to Gizmo Juneau 1221 on 11/4/2016 with calf number 10.

Another favorite is 811 registration 16358620 she is a daughter of 525. 811 has a calving interval of 367 days on 6 calves a weaning ratio of 104 on 6 calves and a yearling ratio of 102 on 4 head. Again not going to win a beauty contest but pretty is as pretty does.

photo taken on 9/11/2016 due AI to S A V Resource on 9/29/2016. Her 2015 Consensus calf is at the Florida Bull Test he is pretty sporty.

So who is your favorite cow and why?

I've been really impressed with the bulls you've posted pics of.

Just out of curiosity what do those cows weigh ?

Ok we need a red cow on this thread - had this picture handy and she is a good one.

IMG_9519sm_zpsvxzvg4ot.jpg

She won't win any beauty contests - but has to be one of our best RA. 7 yr old cow (picture taken last year).

I'm enjoying this thread, I love looking at cows and hearing the story behind them. Some really nice ones have been shown already.

Cross-7 we wean in the spring, the cows were weighed on 4/26 the 525 cow weighed 1455 the 811 cow 1460. The 811 cow has been on my favorite list since weaning. I have a photo somewhere of her when she was still on mamma. If she has a weakness it is her udder teet size is larger than we like but not extreme, just not what I would call a great udder. The 525 cow is the same not a bad udder but one that could stand improvement. I always try to breed these to Bulls known for excellent udders.

Gizmom

High headed and the most cautious one here. We have a mutual agreement and IMO the prettiest in on the place , could be the extra ear. Bought her 5 yrs ago open cause she lost her calf. Has not missed a beat since and this yrs heifer is a keeper .

I'll be a jerk and post my least favorite. Hate this cow with a passion, and the feelings are mutual. She's dumb, mean, and wild. I think that those horns have grown into her brain to make her loco. Somehow she always has a nice calf that is fairly docile. If she's ever late or losses a calf she's gone.. One of these days

I might be able to win the ugliest looking cow contest..

This is Lazy Bar B Leinie 16311318 ... She is a Whitney Creek Bannon 730T daughter and mgs is S A F Strategy 9015... I had forgot her mother had been bred early- and one 18 Below morning I saw a bunch of cows standing in a circle and as I got closer I found the calf- She lost her ears (Tattoo is W because thats the only figure we had ear room for) and her tail.. The only reason I kept her around is that she proved she is a survivor.. Gets bred up early every year (has a calving interval of 368 days) and brings in a fair calf every year.. She is also plumb gentle and will follow you around to see if you have any cake in your pocket...
I'm not a Strategy fan- so never kept any daughters- but had a neighbor over on the Reservation get one of her sons as a heifer bull which worked plumb fine for him..

This is one of a pair of sisters that are out of suget this is her picture

I bought her in 2003 as a five yr old my daughter in law drew this pic of her in 2013 she came up open.

I love this girl because she takes good care of herself and her calf. Is always on time , and year after year gives me nice replacement heifers. I also like having her when I move cows because she'll follow me on horseback wherever then the rest usually follow.

Oldtimer":2o2xhsgy said:
I might be able to win the ugliest looking cow contest..

This is Lazy Bar B Leinie 16311318 ... She is a Whitney Creek Bannon 730T daughter and mgs is S A F Strategy 9015... I had forgot her mother had been bred early- and one 18 Below morning I saw a bunch of cows standing in a circle and as I got closer I found the calf- She lost her ears (Tattoo is W because thats the only figure we had ear room for) and her tail.. The only reason I kept her around is that she proved she is a survivor.. Gets bred up early every year (has a calving interval of 368 days) and brings in a fair calf every year.. She is also plumb gentle and will follow you around to see if you have any cake in your pocket...
I'm not a Strategy fan- so never kept any daughters- but had a neighbor over on the Reservation get one of her sons as a heifer bull which worked plumb fine for him..

Oh, bless her heart! Val's 1st calf lost the majority of his ears, we named him Jim-Bob :)

jcarkie":zt22ssfi said:

This is one of a pair of sisters that are out of suget this is her picture

I bought her in 2003 as a five yr old my daughter in law drew this pic of her in 2013 she came up open.

Your daughter in law is extremely talented, that is an amazing drawing!

A couple more favorites:

blaineandpest_zpsylt8qrhv.jpg

This is Pest. She might be a cow but I'm pretty sure she thinks she belongs with people. Not quite sure how old she is - at least 10. She came with a group of feeders so have no history on her, other than she is a total pest - especially when you are trying to work cows. Now when we bring cows in to do something we just kick her out into the yard to poke around so that she isn't always blocking a gate etc. She will be one of the very few that die here at home - she's a pet first and a cow 2nd. She raises a good calf, have tried to keep a few of her heifers, so far none of them are as good at raising a calf as she is though.

IMG_3566sm_zps4v3bu2fy.jpg

a nicer picture of her.

pita_zpsoyohnhp2.jpg

This is PITA (Pain in the A**). She's not quite as tame as old Pesty, but close. She also qualifies as one of the ugliest animals on the farm. This picture is a few years old but she's really not any better looking now. She raises a surprisingly good looking calf. She's special to me because my boyfriend gave her to me in order to try and convince me to like cows - it worked ;-)

Great thread Gizmom! I too enjoy everyones pictures & stories. Oldtimer - we have a couple red girls that would match your 'ugly' black one just about perfectly!

Maternal Sisters one by Connealy Forward and one by Sydgen 1407 Corona 2016, two more maternal sisters one a 3 yr old and one more a coming 2yr old. The three yr old isnt much to look at except for a beautiful udder.

Combined they have raised 9 calves with an average weaning weight ratio of 106, produced replacements and one of our walking bulls.. To top it off all four took first service ai as heifers..

Yes she is extremely talented she makes figurines out of cedar sawdust she drew this for me for fathers day from a photo it looks so real

I would have to say that this cow, OK Sadie, is my favorite in our herd. She is pictured at 13 1/2 years and is purebred Murray Grey. She is dry currently, but she has produced some of our best calves, including our 4 1/2 year old herdsire, BB Uncle Tony. We have four of her daughters in our herd. One of her great great granddaughters will be calving this fall for the first time.
OK%20Sadie%2013.5%20years_zpsflspu6ip.jpg

Here is Sadie again as a 9 year old.
OK_Sadie.jpg

This cow would probably be my second favorite. She is 50% Murray Grey x 50% Guernsey. Her calf below is a 6 month old 75% Murray Grey heifer from last year. This cow, BB Jewel, was born in 2012. She is by far the biggest pet in our herd. She always comes running when we drive into the pasture. She has plenty of milk and is raising a massive bull calf this year.
Jewel_and_6_month_old_heifer.jpg

This cow is the Favorite. To all of us. She was my daughter's 4H animal as a baby calf, yearling, first calver and second calver. She started out as a one of a set of twin heifers, who got nominated to be the 4H calf simply for the fact that she needed to either become a bottle calf or be adopted. The nurse cow raised her, and we supplemented with bottles (mostly to make her friendly). She is now 7 years old, and possibly the best cow in the herd....go figure. This is Curly
14192558_10209025634971659_2732251771403889539_n.jpg