Favorite wood to burn.........

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
My mother is just about out of wood as I figure winter isn't over yet. She likes the smell of cedar and the way it cracks and pops burning. Yesterday I went through the woods and got her some red cedar that was down, cured out and finally got done splitting last night. She is 81 and likes to keep it about 80 degrees in the house, so it want last her long. I am tired and my back is hurting.

8YQBb5m.jpg

py0sWmj.jpg

I've read several western that mention the smell of a cedar fire. Never burned it like that. Last week my son through a bunch of cedar chips on a fire. It's a stout smell.

Our cedar is a different tree. I sure wouldn't want to burn it in the fireplace.
We use red cedar lumber scraps for kindling.
Favorite wood by far is live oak. Long and slow burn with a great bed of coals.
Mesquite comes in second.
Post oak burns good but leaves lots of ash behind.

Elm or oak burns long and hot. But in recent years we have pretty much burned exclusively ash because it's easy to find but it fills the stove up with ash real fast

Ash is what I burned in the fireplace when I had one. It was abundant in the bottoms and easy to get. It is hard enough to make a decent fire yet soft enough you could run on one chain most of the day.

callmefence":vo6bbcg1 said:
Our cedar is a different tree. I sure wouldn't want to burn it in the fireplace.
We use red cedar lumber scraps for kindling.
Favorite wood by far is live oak. Long and slow burn with a great bed of coals.
Mesquite comes in second.
Post oak burns good but leaves lots of ash behind.
don't know anything about mesquite here.. But I'm with you on the oak..looks like the cedar would burn up a stove.. Hot and fast

jltrent":1u8180q3 said:
My mother is just about out of wood as I figure winter isn't over yet. She likes the smell of cedar and the way it cracks and pops burning. Yesterday I went through the woods and got her some red cedar that was down, cured out and finally got done splitting last night. She is 81 and likes to keep it about 80 degrees in the house, so it want last her long. I am tired and my back is hurting.

8YQBb5m.jpg

py0sWmj.jpg

Never burnt cedar but I may try it. I usually cut cedar trees for folks and if big enough get it turned into boards. I think you need to buy a firewood processor it makes life a lot easier.

I am lazy now and converted the fire place over to gas, so I just turn the knob on and watch it burn.
when I was burning wood I liked Hackberry and hated Mulberry. I have a shop heater that burns wood and I use any kind but quite a lot of cedar. The power line co. are always clearing the road right aways and they cut the wood about 36'' long and pile it by the road for people to pick up and my shop heater will burn logs that are 10'' X 40 '' so I get all the free wood I need for it but it can be any kind of wood , lots of Cedar.

Thanks for taking care of your 80 year mother, seems people nowadays are too busy to take care of the elderly. :heart:

Around here Locust is plentiful, mostly what we use when we burn wood. A lot of folks say it is the best and hottest to burn. Hedge Apple ( Osage Orange) is said to be real good too, have heard that it pops though. Oak is good too. Not sure how good it is but some folks use Hackberry, as it is pretty common too.

We have an Amish mill near us, and they give us the planks for free. A bundle of planks weighs about a ton, and we just cut them like bread on a loaf when we get them. We go through about 8 bundles a year. That said, it is usually mostly walnut, with some oak and cider. It keeps us warm all winter (we have a wood stove - Lopi), and saves on the electric bill. Plus, I do not have to deal with poison ivy using the planks! Seems every time we went into the woods to get our winter wood supply, I would get it real bad! Nasty stuff...

cowboy43":1x9gcox2 said:
Thanks for taking care of your 80 year mother, seems people nowadays are too busy to take care of the elderly. :heart:
She comes first.....

Out here, most popular is Fir, Alder and Maple. We have some white oak, but I like tiphe the fast hot burning three I mentioned.

ez14.":bq4k96m6 said:
Elm or oak burns long and hot. But in recent years we have pretty much burned exclusively ash because it's easy to find but it fills the stove up with ash real fast

As fast as you put it in there I bet.

Latest posts