Favorite Tiller

Help Support CattleToday:

greenwillowhereford II

Reaction score
It's about time to pull out the old Troy-Bilt again. It sure has been a nice 14 years of mostly one-handed tilling after all those years of being shaken by Grandpa's old front-tine tillers. I've got the 5 horsepower Briggs on a Pony, still going strong after 14 years including some custom tilling.

I have a 5-horse Pony Troy-Bilt as well. You are right in saying that they are better than the front-tined tillers made by other manufacturers. But still not as good as the 8-horse Troy-bilt my dad has. You can set it down to till a row and not have to hold on to it at all. I loved using it as a teenager.

My wife's little garden is only about 20x20. Two years ago she bought one of those little Mantis tillers advertised on TV sometimes. They are digging little rascals.....only thing, they only dig by pulling the backwards...very lightweight too. She really loves it. (I watch her and fetch stuff).

TexasBred":tsbc9f5w said:
My wife's little garden is only about 20x20. Two years ago she bought one of those little Mantis tillers advertised on TV sometimes. They are digging little rascals.....only thing, they only dig by pulling the backwards...very lightweight too. She really loves it. (I watch her and fetch stuff).

I tried a Mantis once. Too slow and small for me, with too much vibration, and I don't like walking backwards through the garden, but I can see that it would be handy in a garden that size.

Picked up a 48" Honda 5hp at auction a few years ago($50.00), drained the water from the carb and settlement bowl, checked the oil and pulled the cord. Started in three pulls and has been working ever since. The tines are as sharp as knives now and need replacing but still do a good job. The outer tines are removable which makes it nice to cultivate between the rows.
I'm getting to the age now that I just may have to get a rear tine tiller, that Honda beats me up a bit and the sons are reluctant to till for me.
Dave Mc

I had been looking at a small tiller that fits on the weed eater (robyi) for about 2yrs and finally took the chance and bought one.It was $86 plus tax. That little thing is the handiest gadget i've ever had.
I use it in the garden and in the wifes flower bed.It will actually dig down about 6in. in soft soil.I should have bought it 2yr ago.

Cal

I have a Mantis tiller.... its about 8-9 yrs old and I love it.... its very light and I have some of the other attachments as well. I'll probably replace it with another one when need be.

I used a five bottom plow on mine last fall. Then early this spring I deep ripped it with a 25 ft chizel. That fluffed it up nicely to rototill it with one of those rear tined tillers. (I think it's an old montgomerywards model)