Favorite Shotgun

Help Support CattleToday:

Favorite do all shotgun for me is my Benelli M2 in Realtree HD camo. 26 inch barrel, 12 ga., and handles 3 inch shells. Right now it's loaded up with 3 inch no.5's as it is fall turkey season here. Have yet to even see one though, fall is one dang tough time to hunt turkey.

First weekend in November will be headed to Kansas with it as a group of buddies and I meet in SE Kansas every year for pheasant/quail opening weekend. Dang state changed their laws this year and only pheasant is allowed to be shot that first weekend and then the next weekend both pheasant and quail can be taken. Going to be tough getting used to not firing when those coveys jump.

Back to the shotgun I've got a 4 round magazine extension tube for it as well as a 18.5 inch barrel with rifle sights taken off an M1/Super 90 that I put on it during most of the year as a home defense/ranch gun. Looks mean and similar to the M4's our Marines use. Fires as fast as I can pull the trigger. Never a malfunction.

Got a "safe queen" that never goes anywhere but out to shoot trap. It's a late 60's or early 70's Belgium Browning Broadway Trap in 12 ga. and my dad gave it to me. Took it hunting once but it's just too pretty to worry about getting dinged up.

J

I mostly use an Remington 870 express, 12 ga. 3 inch shells. It looks like it has been drug through the mud and the duck swamps, which it has. But it is dependable and I don't have to worry about dinging it up. It has killed lots and lots of ducks.

As dun says "for civilized hunting" I like my Winchester 101 pigeon grade in 20 ga. Otherwise its a well worn Ithaca (SKB manufacture) SxS, again in 20 ga. It's a crow buster.

Dad used an old Stevens 311 SxS in 12 ga. for many many years.

Winchester model 12 pump 12 gauge.
Plus my first shotgun which is a single shot Winchester model 37 20 gauge.

I have always wanted a lever action. I'm trying to talk Santa into bringing me a Winchester 9410.
The 410 slug is legal for deer in Ohio. My eyes are so bad that if I can't see it, the little 410 can't reach it. My eyesight limits me to just over 125 yards. No need for a 20 guage when I hunt.
Right now I have a Remington 870 .410 in the scabbard on the saddle. Makes a nice little varmit gun. Not something you can reach out an touch something with though. But a well placed shot will drop any deer if you know the limitations of your equipment.

Well Folks you sure named off some mighty fine shotguns.My uncle has a 1897 i think it is an old trench gun my fathernlaw has one with a 30 inch barrel and it,s a shooter they sure are fine guns.Just seems like they don,t makeum like they use to.

rattler

certherfbeef":2n7ngfpw said:
I have always wanted a lever action. I'm trying to talk Santa into bringing me a Winchester 9410.

Certherbeef. I could never find a Winchester but a couple days ago I bought the Marlin 9410 version. It is pretty fun gun to shoot. I think I will like it a lot for around the farm and to carry when riding Mules or Horses.

aplusmnt":1bkqo7au said:
certherfbeef":1bkqo7au said:

Certherbeef. I could never find a Winchester but a couple days ago I bought the Marlin 9410 version. It is pretty fun gun to shoot. I think I will like it a lot for around the farm and to carry when riding Mules or Horses.

I've been waiting for the gun to get old enough for someone to take a used one into the gunshop. No such luck. They are pretty useful little guns.

I got a Mossberg when I was a kid. I hunted everything with it and developed a feel for it. Then I bought an 1100 when I got older and couldn't hit the broadside of a barn. When I throw it up, it is never in the right place. I finally went back to the gun store and threw up shotgun after shotgun on a ceiling spec. I finally found a winchester pump that falls right on the mark. I think it is called a "Ranger". I've had it around 25 years now and like it.

When my daughters started shooting, I bought each of them Wingmasters in 20 gauge. I like the Wingmaster but it just doesn't fit my feel.

When I spot a bird, I throw up the gun and the ball sight had better be on the bird. I then swing through with adequate distance considered to lead and for the speed of the bird. Very few shotguns have the correct feel for me.

I always prefered the Winchesters 97's and 12 's due to the craftmanship in the guns all the parts were machinist made and hand fitted. Many of these guns are approaching 100 years old and are still taking game in the field. The Remington 870 was the death of both of these as it was a stamped out. Winchester couldn't compete with there price. In 1957 the last year of production the Model 97 sold for 157 dollars which was a very expensive fiream of the day, put that in todays dollars.

backhoeboogie":4ymqd81i said:
I got a Mossberg when I was a kid. I hunted everything with it and developed a feel for it. Then I bought an 1100 when I got older and couldn't hit the broadside of a barn. When I throw it up, it is never in the right place. I finally went back to the gun store and threw up shotgun after shotgun on a ceiling spec. I finally found a winchester pump that falls right on the mark. I think it is called a "Ranger". I've had it around 25 years now and like it.

When my daughters started shooting, I bought each of them Wingmasters in 20 gauge. I like the Wingmaster but it just doesn't fit my feel.

When I spot a bird, I throw up the gun and the ball sight had better be on the bird. I then swing through with adequate distance considered to lead and for the speed of the bird. Very few shotguns have the correct feel for me.

Shotgun fit is one of those deals that really seems to be hard to achieve. In the early 60's I had a Beretta Silver Pigeon that fit to perfection. A couple of years later I had a Charles Daly O/U that was the same way. Since then I've had a bunch of Berettas both O/U and auto, couldn;t hit a thing with them. The Weatherby O/Us fit me just like the Winchester 1200 and is dead bang on. The Ruger O/U was worse then the Berettas. Many many years ago I had a H&R Gamemaster bolt action with the big old knobby poly choke on the barrel. That was the first shotgun that showed me what one should really fit like.

dun

I've got an old Ithaca 37 that my grandpa bought new in 1946, that gun just fits me. I bought a Browning BPS with the fiberglass stock to knock around with, nice gun except for the 30" stove pipe. :roll:

cfpinz

Guess I be too stuck on past tradition. If I do hunt, I be with a Stevens Model 311 double barrel 12ga.