Favorite Recipe

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
Now I am wondering what every one's favorite recipe is. Now to mix it up a bit make it something that is not something we eat all the time.

Here is a couple of my favorites.

German Meatballs

2lb hamburger or meatloaf mix (pork, beef)
1 stale bread roll
1c. milk
1 onion finely chopped
Chop onion and add to mix. Put roll in a bowl and pour milk over it. Let sit in milk for about 10 minutes.
Squeeze milk from roll and add to meat mix.
Add 1T mustard, 1t salt, 1/2t pepper. Mix together well. Form into balls. Put in a pot of boiling salt water.

In a sauce pan melt 1/2c butter and 1/2c flour stir together. Add 1c. milk stirring well. This will be really thick. Add 2T. lemon juice. Now add water from the pot, about 1 1/2 or 2cups. stirring constantly. Add 1t. salt.
Drain the meatballs put back into the pot and pour the sauce over them. Serve over cooked egg noodles. You can add capers if you wish.

Great Grandma's Dish

2lb hamburger
1 head of cabbage
1 onion chopped
garlic powder
salt and pepper
bread dough

Brown hamburger add salt and pepper to taste. Chop up the head of cabbage and cook in hot water til soft, drain and add to the meat mix. Add some garlic powder.
Grab a handful of bread dough and roll out into a circle about 1/4" thick, spoon about 1/2c of meat mix in the middle and bring the dough edges together and seal well. Do this til the dough and meat mix are all used up. Amounts vary.
Fry dough rolls in hot oil til brown on one side turn over and fry other side. Can put in a pan and put in a warmed oven until all the rolls are done.
Cheese can be added to the inside, but I always found that gross.

Thanks ILH your post reminded me that I haven't made my Dutch meatballs in a long time so I will have to get on that right away.

I made 10 lbs of beef jerky on Saturday because of the jerky thread.. :lol2: I wonder how many meatballs will get made. I like to do a couple hundred up at a time and freeze them after they are baked..

Someone should start a "How much weight have you gained since the recipe board was put up ?" thread.. :help:

But, thankfully to the coon and grasshoppers threads it shouldn't be that bad.. :lol2:

One of my favorite to make is:

Crawfish or Shrimp Etoufee

1 stick margarine
2 med. onion, chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped
1/2 bell pepper, chopped
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 tblspoon chopped parsley
1 teaspoon of minced garlic (optional)
4 tablespoons of flour with 1/4 stick of butter
1 lb. crawfish tails (or shrimp), peeled
1 chicken boullion cube

1 tbsp. green onion tops, cut with scissors
Cooked rice

Need two pans : 2 medium or 1 large and 1 medium, and then a pot for the rice

In the medium pan combine the first 8 ingedients and cook on medium until the onions are transluscent and maybe even carmelized
When this is almost done, start the second pan.

In the large pan add the flour and 1/4 stick of butter. Place on medium/high heat. Stir this mixture continously until it turns a honey brown. It's o.k. if the mixture smokes a bit but DON'T let it burn. When it's honey brown or peanut butter brown, add 2 cups of very hot water, the boullion cube and the contents of the other pan. Stir all of the ingredients together and bring to a boil. Then let it simmer until the consistency of the fluid is almost creamy. Add the crawfish or shrimp and cook more on medium for about 5 minutes.

Have the rice cooked and set aside.

Serve the crawfish/shrimp etoufee over a bed of rice and sprinke the green onion tops over this.

Have a bottle of Tobasco or Cayene Pepper available if you like a little heat.
Enjoy!

Take a hunk of beef and throw it on a hot grill for 1 1/2 - 2 minutes on side one and 1 - 1 1/2 minutes on the other. A little salt and it's ready to eat.

dun":1ec7t5ya said:
Take a hunk of beef and throw it on a hot grill for 1 1/2 - 2 minutes on side one and 1 - 1 1/2 minutes on the other. A little salt and it's ready to eat.

Oh Wow, don't ya know it!! This is my all time favorite too!!! Serve it with a baked potato with some butter and sour cream...... Nothing better.

dun":6288wqmt said:

Needs pepper. And beer to wash it down. Dang near heaven on a plate. :clap:

Latest posts