Favorite place hoildays

Help Support CattleToday:

We've taken our ATVs to Moab. By far, the most life changing place I've been to yet. Make one realize just how small and insignificant they are... Truly ageless. You can walk right up to pre columbian cliff drawings and dinosaur footprints. The arches national park is so awe inspiring and it's it's in that same area.

I like to keep it simple!

1619874546568.png

There are multiple claims to the world's biggest ball of twine record in the United States. As of 2014, the ball of twine with the largest circumference is located in Cawker City, Kansas. ... Twine ball in Darwin, Minnesota (2020). Darwin, Minnesota, is the home of a ball of baler twine rolled by Francis A. Johnson. It is 12 feet (3.7 ...

View attachment 4150

There are multiple claims to the world's biggest ball of twine record in the United States. As of 2014, the ball of twine with the largest circumference is located in Cawker City, Kansas. ... Twine ball in Darwin, Minnesota (2020). Darwin, Minnesota, is the home of a ball of baler twine rolled by Francis A. Johnson. It is 12 feet (3.7 ...
Now THAT is something worth traveling for!

Last edited:
I bet you'd like it. The Alaska Highway (which I drive on every time I go to town) is a great drive from one end to the other. Well, I think it is, I haven't quite made it all the way to Alaska yet, but someday I will get to the end of that trail.
I have been up the Alaska Highway twice. I figure a person should drive up the highway and then take the ferry back south through SE Alaska, the Queen Charlotte islands, and Vancouver Island.

I had a friend that said he had driven the Alcan highway so many times it just about drove him away from any kind of driving for good.

I had a friend that said he had driven the Alcan highway so many times it just about drove him away from any kind of driving for good.
Was that before it was paved? Either way, it is a lonely stretch of road which for some people is a good thing, others not so much.

Was that before it was paved? Either way, it is a lonely stretch of road which for some people is a good thing, others not so much.
Both, tho as a kid, it was unpaved but after he was grown it was paved or most of it anyway. (He grew up in a gold mining family home based somewhere in Indiana, but later decided to make his home in Fairbanks)

Excellent boat ride from Ketchikan to Bellingham!!
I took that ferry ride one time when the airlines were on strike. But that was back when the ferry came all the way to Seattle. It was in the fall and the logging camps were shutting down for the winter. I forget what they call that area toward the back of the boat that has a roof over it. Six of us loggers gathered 6 lounge chairs into a circle. Tossed all our gear in the middle. Had bought cheap sleeping bags in Ketch. That is where we made the trip. Cheaper than a state room.

I took that ferry ride one time when the airlines were on strike. But that was back when the ferry came all the way to Seattle. It was in the fall and the logging camps were shutting down for the winter. I forget what they call that area toward the back of the boat that has a roof over it. Six of us loggers gathered 6 lounge chairs into a circle. Tossed all our gear in the middle. Had bought cheap sleeping bags in Ketch. That is where we made the trip. Cheaper than a state room.
Haha, my first trip I was 14 I slept on the deck with a bunch of hippies .

My favorite place to vacation is in the combine cutting beans..

Bet it's peaceful in there. If that's what you enjoy why not. My step dad used to always be working in the yard picking up sticks & rocks, doing leaves, mowing. Sometimes not even when it needed to be done just more to get out of the house. I never understood that until more recently my kids will wild my husband will watch the kids so I can use the leaf blower. 😆 Hey I've done leafs everywhere!!! Peace of mind being alone.

I always enjoy ya'll stories and advice. ❤

Bet it's peaceful in there. If that's what you enjoy why not. My step dad used to always be working in the yard picking up sticks & rocks, doing leaves, mowing. Sometimes not even when it needed to be done just more to get out of the house. I never understood that until more recently my kids will wild my husband will watch the kids so I can use the leaf blower. 😆 Hey I've done leafs everywhere!!! Peace of mind being alone.

I always enjoy ya'll stories and advice. ❤
Any time I want to be peaceful and alone I just hop on the quad and go to the top of the hill. Actually I don't have to go clear to the top. There are other ridges and hills to go to a lot closer. But every time I get to the top I have Dwight Yoakum's song "I am a Thousand Miles From Nowhere" running through my head.
I'm a thousand miles from nowhere and time don't matter to me
I'm a thousand miles from nowhere and there is no where I'd rather be

The last picture is looking down from the top. The others are from the lower hills.

Attachments

• P9291196.JPG
    P9291196.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 11
  • P8161139.JPG
    P8161139.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 12
  • P9101171.JPG
    P9101171.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 12

View attachment 4150

I saw the one in Kansas about 25 years ago while pheasent hunting. That picture looks like it. You mentioned a couple of others ? The one in the picture is the one in Kansas isn't it ?

I couldn't remember where in Kansas it was that I saw that at. I was on a two week hunting trip and covered alot of ground during that two weeks.

View attachment 4150

There are ranchers around here with bigger piles of twine than that in their stack yards. They feed and toss the twine on the pile. Next year repeat all winter on the same pile. It just keeps growing.

I saw the one in Kansas about 25 years ago while pheasent hunting. That picture looks like it. You mentioned a couple of others ? The one in the picture is the one in Kansas isn't it ?

I couldn't remember where in Kansas it was that I saw that at. I was on a two week hunting trip and covered alot of ground during that two weeks.
Yes, that's when I first saw it, while out pheasant hunting. Cawker City is the little town there. They don't have much to do or brag about, so this is exciting to them!

A stupid movie called Sharknado #4 shows that ball of twine in Cawker City (and Cawker City itself). Ball of twine somehow gets imbedded with sharks (in Kansas no less) and rolls down the streets squashing and devouring people.

"Cawker City, Kansas claims to be home to the largest ball of twine in the world, and it ends up getting caught up in the Sharknado when several sharks are thrown into it, and the ball takes off, chasing Fin and the gang as they frantically attempt to speed away in a car.

A street musician sadly gets steamrolled by the ball, but the madness thankfully comes to an end when it gets wedged between two pillars of a building, giving Fin time to tie some of the yarn to a lamppost and tether it there. Still, in reality the ball weighs almost 20,000 lbs, so tying it anywhere during a storm would likely be highly ineffective."
twinenado.jpg
great balls of twine.jpg

Yes, that's when I first saw it, while out pheasant hunting. Cawker City is the little town there. They don't have much to do or brag about, so this is exciting to them!
It was a nice little town. That big ball of twine was the last thing I would have guessed I would see on my trip !