Favorite Pistol

Help Support CattleToday:

I've got to go with the Colt 1911 in .45 cal(or any copies that have been made over the last 97 years).

I also like my colt .357 mag, although for plinking it's hard to beat a .22 ruger semi-auto.

ROCK-N-W":13wqtdli said:
I carry a 8 shot Tauras 22mag revolver. No hammer
It aint bout power but shot placement. :cowboy:
That's just gotta get me back to my truck

If something is going on around me serious enough that I have to shoot at somebody or something I don't want to have to run anywhere. I want to stop "IT" right in it's tracks. A 22 mg will usually just p$#@ something or somebody off.

Baretta 96FS, .40 cal, S-A. Very accurate, easy to handle, can easily get off 2 rounds per second. The 10 cartridge clip releases very quickly which can be advantage if you need to put another clip in. I use 155 gr FMJ personal defense loads. Moderate penetration and good expansion.

Other good choices are the SIG, Para-Ordnance, Glock, H & K, Kimber.

If used for personal defense or stopping aggressive predator game you want instant stopping power...at least enough to get off a second or more shots before you become a target.

For any of above expect to pay between $600 and $1,000. However, you want reliability..."you don't get a second chance to make a first impression." :cowboy:

As others have said, with a larger calibre (minimum 9 mm) a hit anywhere on the animal will either stop or slow it down...again, enough time to squeeze off another shot.

Running Arrow Bill":1s9a43jr said:
I use 155 gr FMJ personal defense loads. Moderate penetration and good expansion.

How do you get expansion from a FMJ. I've shot steel plates with them in 9mm, 40 S&W, 10mm and 45 ACP and all they do is rivet.

dun":6reahj24 said:
Running Arrow Bill":6reahj24 said:
I use 155 gr FMJ personal defense loads. Moderate penetration and good expansion.

How do you get expansion from a FMJ. I've shot steel plates with them in 9mm, 40 S&W, 10mm and 45 ACP and all they do is rivet.

Sorry everyone! I "meant" to say, "JHP"...fingers hit wrong keys. Use Winchester 155 gr JHP "Ranger" shells.

I carry a 40 cal Ruger. My all time favorite pistol is the Ruger Single Six Convertible. I bought one new as a kid at a department store called JM Fields. Anyone every hear of them? Anyway I killed a lot of critters with that thing growing up. I still have it.

Angus/Brangus":2ravvxpp said:
TexasBred":2ravvxpp said:
ROCK-N-W":2ravvxpp said:
I carry a 8 shot Tauras 22mag revolver. No hammer
It aint bout power but shot placement. :cowboy:
That's just gotta get me back to my truck

If something is going on around me serious enough that I have to shoot at somebody or something I don't want to have to run anywhere. I want to stop "IT" right in it's tracks. A 22 mg will usually just p$#@ something or somebody off.

TB - what they're shooting at down there in S. Florida is not very big ;-) About 4'5" average when they jump out of the boat.

Springfield Armory .45 with extended clip for me.

Angus...I figure that would turn even ol' Shaq O'Neil a good flip.
:lol2:

Latest posts