Favorite pet

Help Support CattleToday:

CindSein

Reaction score
Hi all,
Let's start an interesting discussion on which is your favorite pet. Do specify the reason also. Mine is cat. It is just because they are very cute.

in my opinion it is hard to imagine anything more loyal and steadfast than a good dog...
I have had dogs who put their life on the line to get proddy cows off of me...

I like horses too but have had horses leave me under the same circumstances where dogs came charging in...

had a cow knock a big horse out from under me one time and when he got up he left me there and high tailed it before I could get back on.

Cows/ Dogs

My cows are all pets. The environment they came from and the environment here has made them pets. The ones I have retained are just like a dog except they are too big to ride in the truck and come in the house. They behave like pets. Just like a dog craves grooming, so do my cows.

To have pets the size of a cow is why I find them fascinating.

But for 24/7, a dog is my favorite.

Cats And Dogs
A Dog is all I have right now. Love him so much he's a house dog, work dog, play in the yard buddy, shotgun rider, and basically a go where ever I go Buddy. My first dog that fit that whole criteria.
Now a cat there is nothing sweeter than that roaring purr and that soft rubbing feel around your ankle, until of course when it trips you.

FlyingLSimmentals":2jwjbewe said:
Cats And Dogs
A Dog is all I have right now. Love him so much he's a house dog, work dog, play in the yard buddy, shotgun rider, and basically a go where ever I go Buddy. My first dog that fit that whole criteria.
Now a cat there is nothing sweeter than that roaring purr and that soft rubbing feel around your ankle, until of course when it trips you.

Good one, Mike. Not just limited to cats. My Corgi, year old. Has tripped me a couple times. Can be a hazard!

Bright Raven":qvkkyqvm said:
FlyingLSimmentals":qvkkyqvm said:
Cats And Dogs

Good one, Mike. Not just limited to cats. My Corgi, year old. Has tripped me a couple times. Can be a hazard!
did you spill your wine ???

Rafter S":1kcdy372 said:
The goldfish in my water troughs. No maintenance, no feed bill, no vet bill, no litter box to clean.

I have a hard time thinking of goldfish as a pet.
My dogs want to be where I am....If I am walking the fields they are scouting ahead.
If I am at the barn they are either helping me or lying nearby in the shade.
If I am in the house they are in the house.
they guard the house and family from all trespassers...human or animal...
they are a lot of company to me.
and unlike the women I work or live with, they seldom ever tell me I am wrong...

M-5":312f6vsb said:
Bright Raven":312f6vsb said:
FlyingLSimmentals":312f6vsb said:
Cats And Dogs

did you spill your wine ???

He is in my Lap,
When I drink my wine,
That is a fact,
Jack.

Rafter S":dasevdo6 said:
The goldfish in my water troughs. No maintenance, no feed bill, no vet bill, no litter box to clean.

This seems quite different. I'm hearing it for the first time....considering goldfish as a pet....but it seems good... :) :) :)

For me it's cows. I do like cats, but the yotes and owls keep eating them. Some cows are just more special than others, just like some dogs are better than others. I have a bred heifer "Yotta" who is an absolute doll.. loves to just hang out with you and enjoys company.. .it's in the bloodlines though, her great grandma was my first pet cow, and all of them inbetween were all outstanding as well

slick4591":2ff2vaok said:
A couple of dogs are the only pets here. Everything else makes money or they're gone.

My goldfish work for their keep. They eat the algae and mosquito larvae in my water troughs.

skyhightree1":bmym1ljr said:
I like ferrets there fun to watch
We have some weasels here.. damn they're cute, but not friendly to chickens.. Now we have raccoons.. and they're proving hard to trap

Current favorite is an orange tabby cat Oscar. He's very loving, playful and listens well, comes when I call, goes when
I point and he's a great hunter/killer. A friend has his full sister a beautiful tortoise shell, but she's not like Oscar at all
she's an aloof lazy fat cat. Both are neutered, but Oscar stayed a lean mean fighting machine.

It was on the local news this morning Minnesota has the fattest cats and dogs in the nation. (We're #1 in something!)
Over feeding and lack of exercise 10 lb cat only needs 200 calories per day to maintain weight.
Oscar gets one 4 cent raw egg (72 calories) and about 1/4 cup of dry cat food (100 cal) per day and has to hunt
for whatever else he wants or needs. Some days he doesn't clean up his dry cat food, yesterday he came out of the
field with a white bellied mouse... calories unknown :)

Best pet I ever had was a German Shepherd he was a very good cattle dog and an excellent watch dog.

I've always wanted to get a baby Elephant or a Giraffe :idea: he could eat the top bales without having to get them down.
Almost got a baby Black Bear a fellow was selling years ago... but thought better of it and I'm glad didn't.

We've had many different pets... Northern flickers (woodpeckers) are really funny. .. we have a pair of resident ravens that are hilarious as well.

Here are two yearling heifers that are both dolls to be around.. just love company.. both of the bulls are about the same.. they come begging for fly spray on their backs

https://goo.gl/photos/a4YQBeLChDczWPu69

I'm more of a cat person than a dog person... u could totally have a pet bobcat... that ought to catch rats and not be eaten by owls and yotes,

I have a couple mules that really like to be with people, one I know was imprinted at birth, both of them like people. I have a mountain cur dog that is a very smart dog that will go any place I let him go with me and be very little problem. Leave him in the back of the PU untied and he will be there when I come back. He is just a little over 7 months old but I am very impressed with him so far. As for wild pets I have had several things and the best pet I ever own that was wildlife was a possum, I kept him for several years he got to weigh 11 lbs.

Latest posts