favorite merle song

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard":2a96f62h said:
I think about that song everytime I take hiway 105 to Brenham--Silver Wings Ballroom is now a skating venue, but there used to be some really good old time dances there--long ago. Just musing back......

I spent a fair bit of time at Silver Wings about 30 - 35 years ago. Along with The Hall of Fame in College Station and the VFW in Navasota. And Silver Wings always had skating, on afternoons and I think on weekday evenings. I remember skating there (or at least trying to) back in the mid 1970's.

Rafter S":15mb1p8n said:
That's like asking me to pick a favorite child. "Misery and Gin" is a good one, but "If We Make it Through December" is another one, along with "Looking for a Place to Fall Apart" and "Sing Me Back Home". And the list goes on and on and....

Same here. I never was much good at picking a favorite anything among such a large number of good things. I really can't think of one I don't like. I noticed at live shows, "I Think I'll Just Stay Here and Drink" always got a huge audience reaction when he started it. I also liked album cuts such as "Uncle Lem," "Farmer's Daughter," and "California Cotton Fields." I also liked some of the last songs of his that got radio play in the latter 80s, such as "Better Love next Time," "Kern River," "5:01 Blues," "A Friend In California," and "I Had a Beautiful Time."

I think he could have charted well into the 90s, but radio decided to ditch all the legends around 1990 and only play the younger acts.

I would be easier to list the ones that aren;t my favorites. Problem is I can;t think of any off hand. After I heard he died I slipped over to youtube and spent must have been 6-8 hours listening to his stuff.

Sing me back home

Used to be pretty good friends with his son Marty over the years. Lost touch a while back. He mostly does Christian stuff, but it is ghostly to hear him sing some of Merle's stuff.

bigbull338":376y1hen said:
all of merles songs are my fav.thats like asking wich geoge jones song is your fav.

That one's easier for me because he stopped loving her today is probably the best country song ever written.

I like a lot of George's, but Id have to rate several of Merle's in the 1 spot, then the next might be 10th or so.

Commercialfarmer":djdbp44c said:
bigbull338":djdbp44c said:
all of merles songs are my fav.thats like asking wich geoge jones song is your fav.

That one's easier for me because he stopped loving her today is probably the best country song ever written.

I like a lot of George's, but Id have to rate several of Merle's in the 1 spot, then the next might be 10th or so.
i love all of gorges songs.everytime i talk to an old buddy we end up talking about george and the wild stuff he got into.

I am surprised Big City didn't get mentioned. '' Turn me loose, set me free...and keep your retirement and your so-called social security..."

Watched almost an hour of a program on tv the other day. Nothing but Merle from Billy Bob's Honky Tonk in Ft. Worth. Had forgotten just how many great songs the man wrote and recorded.

Latest posts