• OXH Mark Domino 8020

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • CL 1 Domino 5131

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

THG

Reaction score
Ok, since I ran a poll about the best Polled Hereford bull in the past 20 years, now I am going to post a poll about the best Horned Hereford bull in the past 20 years!

I would like answers as to why you think your pick is the best!

THG

Interesting that you'd run a horned poll and leave out Pure Gold, whose progeny has probably won more shows, by far, than any other horned sire since 2002.

There's really not a bull on the list that I dislike.

Achiever and 492D would be my favorites, but I've got daughters/granddaughters of theirs that I really like, so that's a pretty biased answer.

George

Herefords.US":3oyei63b said:
Interesting that you'd run a horned poll and leave out Pure Gold, whose progeny has probably won more shows, by far, than any other horned sire since 2002.

Achiever and 492D would be my favorites, but I've got daughters/granddaughters of theirs that I really like, so that's a pretty biased answer.

George
Pure Gold wasn't my favorite, had some problems with that bull.

THG

I said 8020, although I don't breed horned cattle, he shows up in just about every polled line that catches my eye, usually as grandsire or great grandsire.

THG":35q14ci2 said:
Herefords.US":35q14ci2 said:

George

THG

I ONCE proclaimed to others that Pure Gold might well be the greatest breeding bull since Prince Domino. I've since revised that judgement - because I've realized some of the problems that his progeny have once they get into production and I've seen some areas where his progeny could be improved.

I guess there are no PERFECT bulls. But Pure Gold adds as much thickness and muscling as any other bull I've seen and he pretty well stamps his calves regardless of what kind of cow that he's crossed with.

Even with the problems that I've seen, he STILL would qualify as MY favorite horned bull of the last twenty years because he adds that thickness that most Hereford cattle need.

George

Of those you have listed, I have a tie between 8020(for the carcass) and Achiever (for the daughters). Too many good ones to really narrow it down to one. 8020 seems to have had a little more impact on the breed as a whole compared to the others on the list.

THG":3jaal054 said:
Herefords.US":3jaal054 said:

George

THG

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .................. :roll:

Elder Statesman":2f2ebpjj said:
Of those you have listed, I have a tie between 8020(for the carcass) and Achiever (for the daughters). Too many good ones to really narrow it down to one. 8020 seems to have had a little more impact on the breed as a whole compared to the others on the list.
Elder Statesman, I will have to agree with you.

THG

Herefords.US":33whoj1w said:
THG":33whoj1w said:
Herefords.US":33whoj1w said:

George

THG

I ONCE proclaimed to others that Pure Gold might well be the greatest breeding bull since Prince Domino. I've since revised that judgement - because I've realized some of the problems that his progeny have once they get into production and I've seen some areas where his progeny could be improved.

I guess there are no PERFECT bulls. But Pure Gold adds as much thickness and muscling as any other bull I've seen and he pretty well stamps his calves regardless of what kind of cow that he's crossed with.

Even with the problems that I've seen, he STILL would qualify as MY favorite horned bull of the last twenty years because he adds that thickness that most Hereford cattle need.

George
George, Pure Gold was a darn good bull, but I wouldn't want to influence bad genetics into my cowherd. You go on, influence old Pure Gold and when he starts hurting your back pocket, don't come crying to me.

THG

From the results from this Poll, 8020 is a hot bull that many have loved in the Horned breed. I have seen some of his daughters and they are good.

THG

THG":3azay2tu said:
You go on, influence old Pure Gold and when he starts hurting your back pocket, don't come crying to me.

THG

Actually, Matt, next year I intend to linebreed to Pure Gold by breeding C Maui Jim ET to some Pure Gold daughters.

mauijim_1107_lg.jpg

Since, unlike you, I've not spent a bundle on a bull and donor cows, run a two page ad in Hereford World touting them, then had to liquidate them because I got into financial trouble, my back pocket still has a few dollars in it.

It appears about all you're left with is a flatuent mouth and a flat wallet.

George

THG":vq2mk86k said:
From the results from this Poll, 8020 is a hot bull that many have loved in the Horned breed. I have seen some of his daughters and they are good.

THG

Tells us about 8020 daughter KCF Miss 8020 [DOD]. She has 9 calves < 100% BW, 8 with WW > 100%, and 5 > 100%. All the carcass numbers are > 100%.

Herefords.US":bio9emzf said:
THG":bio9emzf said:
You go on, influence old Pure Gold and when he starts hurting your back pocket, don't come crying to me.

THG

Actually, Matt, next year I intend to linebreed to Pure Gold by breeding C Maui Jim ET to some Pure Gold daughters.

mauijim_1107_lg.jpg

Since, unlike you, I've not spent a bundle on a bull and donor cows, run a two page ad in Hereford World touting them, then had to liquidate them because I got into financial trouble, my back pocket still has a few dollars in it.

George

Is that supposed to be him in pasture condition, George. I like him, always liked really smooth made bulls.

rocket2222":g7uuljbd said:
Herefords.US":g7uuljbd said:
THG":g7uuljbd said:

THG

mauijim_1107_lg.jpg

George

Is that supposed to be him in pasture condition, George. I like him, always liked really smooth made bulls.

Pasture condition? :lol: :lol: I'd bet Maui Jim's in Reno next week and Colyer is selling him and his younger full brother in the Denver sale.

http://www.hereford.com

When I saw the video of his younger brother at 5 months, I went "Wow!" - that's the kind of cattle I'd like to produce! He's gotten a little rougher now, and I actually prefer Maui Jim's cleaner front.

George

Pasture condition? I'd bet Maui Jim's in Reno next week and Colyer is selling him and his younger full brother in the Denver sale.
I thought the pic was a little "out there", him standing in a large, slightly over grazed pasture in that condition, but I had to ask, thought, maybe you had taken the pic, just in case he was that easy keeping. I might would have had to try him out. :)

When I saw the video of his younger brother at 5 months, I went "Wow!" - that's the kind of cattle I'd like to produce! He's gotten a little rougher now, and I actually prefer Maui Jim's cleaner front

Looks to me like the younger brother not going to have the butt of his older sib either.

Maui Jim shows tomorrow. Talk of the barn is he is the bull to beat. However Get er Done full brother looks good to

leeshy":1w7o4u2g said:
Maui Jim shows tomorrow. Talk of the barn is he is the bull to beat. However Get er Done full brother looks good to

It shows how much I'm keeping up with it this year, since I knew I couldn't go. I thought Reno was next week!

The sale is at 4:00 PM today. (I assume that's PST). It will be broadcast on the web through LiveAuctions.TV. Watching the Hereford cattle parade across a Vegas style showroom in person is an impressive sight. How much of that can be captured through the webcam will be interesting to see.

http://www.liveauctions.tv/

The show results are/will be posted on the AHA web-site:

http://hereford.org/AHA/tabID__3977/tailored.aspx

George

Herefords.US":3nrg2ola said:
leeshy":3nrg2ola said:

It shows how much I'm keeping up with it this year, since I knew I couldn't go. I thought Reno was next week!

The sale is at 4:00 PM today. (I assume that's PST). It will be broadcast on the web through LiveAuctions.TV. Watching the Hereford cattle parade across a Vegas style showroom in person is an impressive sight. How much of that can be captured through the webcam will be interesting to see.

http://www.liveauctions.tv/

The show results are/will be posted on the AHA web-site:

http://hereford.org/AHA/tabID__3977/tailored.aspx

George

I watched it, did you George?
That is really cool when they are all lined up on that stage.
A Pure Gold heifer was top seller right?
I was interested in the Rambo heifer too. He looks like a good bull, be interesting to see how he turns out.

Latest posts