Favorite Hereford Bull and Why?

Help Support CattleToday:

Hill Creek Farm

Reaction score
Dear Hereford breeders, what is your favorite Hereford bull and why? Please give me in detail, just why you like the bull so well. Has your pick, sired you excellent calves or show animals that have won you many championships or has this bull made you calves that you have only dreamed of? Well, what is your favorite? :cboy:

Yall must be from a different neck of the world. Round here u cant give a good herford cow or calf away. They might bring 60 cents a pound if your lucky.

J&T Farm":3qai2bnc said:
Yall must be from a different neck of the world. Round here u cant give a good herford cow or calf away. They might bring 60 cents a pound if your lucky.

i don't like herefords at all, but since he wants to know, just thought he should start the convo off with his example and pride and joy. :)

J&T Farm":3ig926e2 said:
Are you talking about a Hereford cow or calf. If calves, what what grade, ages and size can be bought for $.60 per lb. and down. Also some choice kind of 4 yr.old 1200 lb bred cows for fall delivery at $.60 per lb and under sounds sounds like a good buy. How many could be bought in a day by a good order buying co???

Right now u couldnt buy many. Everyone got shed of them a few yrs back cause they just wouldnt bring anything. This used to be herford country. Everywhere u looked there would be a field full of em. When the buyers quit them everyone else did too. Theres still several black baldies but thats about the last of the herfords for now.

Well if they can be bought for that, then tell me where. I saw a bunch go through the barn a couple of weeks ago and brought anywhere from $115.00 to $132.00. You aren't that far away from me, sounds like I need to start hauling some stock between auctions. I certainly could pay for the diesel and make a fair profit.

bgm":3k8i26ks said:
Well if they can be bought for that, then tell me where. I saw a bunch go through the barn a couple of weeks ago and brought anywhere from $115.00 to $132.00. You aren't that far away from me, sounds like I need to start hauling some stock between auctions. I certainly could pay for the diesel and make a fair profit.
Wouldn't take many of those under $.60 to make a good profit at that markup would it

Yeah that would be nice but the trouble is there aint but maybe 4 or 5 head come thru out of about 1500 head of calves and maybe 2 or 3 cows.

Well, I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but let's see. 4 head at .60 lb saying they wiegh 600 lbs is $1440.00
Now saying it's even long way down into Arkansas, 300 miles each way and I can make 8 mpg. That's 75 gallons and at $3.00 a gallon for agruments sake, that's a total of $225 in diesel for the round trip.

So you bring them up here and you sell them for an average let's say of $1.20, you make $1215.00. I figure you'll have one night motel in there too if your that far down, but still sounds too good to be true or someone would be doing it already.

Now that's a day down, a day back, and a day at the local barn. Three days for $405 a day not counting the motel. That's more money that I know how to make in cattle per day.

So before I quit hijacking this thread with my kind of warped logic let me ask this again. Where's this sale barn? :D

Ok, my favorite is Remitall Online 122L. A very powerful bull and is pretty much a proven bull. I like all of his progeny that we have out of him. :cboy:

J&T Farm":3oix14tv said:

I haven't been to a sale in a year or so, but around this area Herefords were selling for just over half of what anything other then LH or Brahman did. But the closer you got to KS the price difference was must less and sold almost on parr with other breeds/crosses. The last time I was at Joplin they were almost the same price. Locally I think it may have to do with the geenrally poor quality of Herefords in general. But other then registered herds of other breeds, it's very rare to not see a good number of Hereford looking or influenced cattle.

dun

Hill Creek Farm":4nltgw6i said:
Dear Hereford breeders, what is your favorite Hereford bull and why? Please give me in detail, just why you like the bull so well. Has your pick, sired you excellent calves or show animals that have won you many championships or has this bull made you calves that you have only dreamed of? Well, what is your favorite? :cboy:

A big cattlemen around here A-I three hundred red angus heifers last year with 767G. I have seen the calves this summer and all look great but they are crossed so not a very good comparison for growth. But he said only had to assist a hand full and was very happy with calves.JHH

J&T Farm":n64i6xaw said:

I will take a few at that price. Just sold my H.H. steers and got 121.50 for the 560 and the 540 lbs and 125.00 for the 390 lbs.I was happy with price.JHH

JHH":1jp5y4ps said:
J&T Farm":1jp5y4ps said:

I will take a few at that price. Just sold my H.H. steers and got 121.50 for the 560 and the 540 lbs and 125.00 for the 390 lbs.I was happy with price.JHH
Damn, Looks like us here on the CT Boards gonna run the prices up on these choice kind of green 4 wt. Hereford calves.

I use sons of CL 1 Domino 9126 because of calving ease, big spread in growth and carcass traits on them.

I guess my favorite would have to be Feltons 517. Other then some 774 calves that I really like, it seems like most of the bulls we use and are the happiest with are sired by 517

dun

I will let you know next week how the Herefords are doing. I will be taking some to the market. I will also be taking some BA and RA of the same 4 wt.

The last bunch I took performed like this.
Hereford - $1.40-$1.60
BA -- $1.40-$1.60
RA -- $1.40-$1.60
Char X - $1.50-$1.80