Favorite Foods

Help Support CattleToday:

J Baxter":2jpb5m7h said:
Breakfast - Catheads, bacon, eggs, possum grape/dew berry/muscadine jelly or fresh sorghum mollases and real butter.

Dinner or Supper (lunch and dinner for ya'll who don't speak the language) ribeyes, cream corn, candied sweet potatoes, fried potatoes, home made yeast rolls and a big old jug of sweet tea.

On death row - pickled dodo bird and 100 year eggs.

JB

Dang that sounds good especially the musadine jelly, mayhaw jelly hard to beat also.

I used to make muscadine jelly, gave some to the carpenter who built our house. When he ran out he would drive down here for more.

Then we cleared the fence row. All the vines are gone. Sure miss my muscadine jelly.

I thought they were the same with just different local names, but then I looked it up.

Vitis mustangenis (mustang grape)

Vitis rotoundifolia (muscadine grape, scuppernong, bullace-grape)

Apparently the mustang grape can be used in wine making. The muscadine that grows here likes to grow all the way to the tops of the trees. The grape is dark purple and the juice will exfoliate your skin. Birds love to eat the grapes and then sit in on a branch above your car.

If you are in the mood for total confusion here is an article on Texas grapes:

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/natives.asp

What is a mayhaw? I'm just wondering if it is the same thing as our pawpaws. They grow on trees, most usually in groves. I find a lot of them in September when the weather is ripe. The probably weigh about 3 ounces a piece, but I've never made jelly out them.

J Baxter --- mayhaw and pawpaw are two distinctly different trees. Mayhaw fruit is very much smaller than pawpaw, and typically ripens in May (hence the name). Mayhaws were traditionally found in moist river bottom land in La., east Texas, etc. I believe there have been a few orchards started in recent years -- much of the original habitat has been lost to the developer, lakes, etc.

Chicken and dressing (corn bread), mashed potatoes, corn, glazed carrots and peas with sweet tea. Mississippi Mud cake for dessert.

Pinto beans, corn bread and greens with onion and vinegar. Also fried okra.

T-bone steak, medium with baked sweet potato and salad w/bleu cheese dressing, wash it down with a cold brew.

For the main meal:

Thick cut T-bone, rare to medium rare on oak coals with a stick of mesquite, baked potato with all the fixings except sour cream, fresh spinach with cream cheese, pecan pie.

Skewered bacon-wrapped dove filets with jalapeño slices, rice and brown gravy, cream corn and collard greens with bacon drippings, followed up by fresh banana nut bread.

Grilled pork chops with pinto beans that were slow cooked with a loosely trimmed ham bone and onions, hot buttered corn bread, the wife's chocolate chip cookies still soft from the oven.

Fresh fried catfish with fried potatoes and onion rings. Repeat. Repeat again. Close the deal with peach cobbler and ice cream.

All of the above to be served with jalapenos and sweet ice tea or ice cold beer.

---------------------------------

For breakfast:

Bacon and/or sausage and eggs, sunny side up, grits and/or hash browns, catheads with butter and cane syrup and/or fig preserves.

Homemade breakfast burritos made out of eggs, cheese, potatoes, sausage and/or bacon – plenty of salsa.

Craig-TX

I love me some country ham but I 'm not crazy about the red eye gravy-it's too much grease for me. I sure do like milk gravy over some big cat heads though-but then I think I gotta have fried eggs over medium, fried potatoes and grits. Grape jelly and butter to finish off the last couple of biscuits and strong black coffee. I like to have breakfast for supper especially in the winter time.

Craig-TX":1h5tloh3 said:
dun":1h5tloh3 said:
No mention of redeye gravy, what gives?

dun

That was because gravy is taken for granted, just like salt and pepper. Same with salsa and jalapeños. Ha

Craig-TX

To me gravy is flower gravy, redeye is a different kettle of fish.

dun

Has anyone else tried the western cedar grilling planks? You soak them, slather olive oil on them, season them, place the meat on them, and put them on the grill.

Oldtimer":1q6kn35m said:
Rocky Mountain Oysters- rolled in flour, little salt and pepper to your flavor, and cooked in a pan of hot oil or butter.

You're right Oldtimer. That's the main drawback to banding.

Craig-TX

Oldtimer":3r2oimnf said:
Rocky Mountain Oysters- rolled in flour, little salt and pepper to your flavor, and cooked in a pan of hot oil or butter.

A friend who was wild in his younger days got caught stealing watermelons when he was a lad. The farmer made him and his cohorts help castrate bull calves as payment for the melons. The farmer's wife cooked a delicious dinner, which they bragged on until they were informed they were eating the results of the day's labor!

yep, had em floured and fried and served with eggs.... loved them. Guys I work with say now I have a pair :D

Latest posts