favorite dog

Help Support CattleToday:

429421blkangus":s3msi38j said:
longhornlover3498":s3msi38j said:
we breed for temperment not reg. papers. i mutt is just as good as a pure bred and carries better hybrid vigor.
+1 on that! Not that i don't love our Border Collie pup we have now, one of the smartest and most perceptive dogs i have ever been around.
My big soft spot is for Catahoulas, they are good herding dogs and too dang smart sometimes. My ladyfriend and i have our "son" Angus, he is 2yo Catahoula/Aussie/Heeler, when people ask what he is we usually say "100% cowdog!" Smart as a whip and iron tough, he has the shape of a Catahoula but slightly more size and long hair which makes a big difference up north here.

Toughest man i ever knew, State Trooper, Ex Special forces and just general bada$$ brought one back from Loosiana many years ago. He was a big strapping sob and mean as the day is long, I stopped by one day and the dog was gone. So i asked what happened. He tells me I shot him. so of course i had to know why. George tells me well i looked him square in the eye one day and knew that sooner or later it was gonna be me or him .....and he meant it

Australian Shephard/Blue Heeler mix. Looking like we will lose her soon. She is 14 and has congestive heart failure and her lungs are full of fluid. Have her on Antibiotics and Lasix, hopefully can get her feeling better soon.

Best dog ever was a Chesapeake Bay Retriever x German Shepherd, because he was smart, protective and especially because he was brave.

KNERSIE":3jzmaz35 said:
Favourite dog is my Jack Russell, hands down, never known any other dog that is more intelligent.
Grew up with Border Collies, my next dog will likely be another one.
Worst dog is a Boerboel, had two both were duds, hardly any braincells between them
Had Staffordshire terriers that were good, had a bullterrier that was outstanding and another one that had a personality disorder and bit me, the 12 gauge sorted that out.

Hand's down it is the Jack Russell, smart, gritty,tough and nothing tries to please any harder.
They are a great big dog in a small body. Russell's are not for everyone they are special dog's that don't respond to rough treatment they work off of praise, They are kinda like Brimmer's you can lead them anywhere and can't drive them nowhere. They don't play well with others if it has fin's, fur or feather's they are going to kill it.

Wife went out and bought this the other day.
001-1.jpg

She was trying to cheer me up after losing Ruby. She doesn't get it Ruby was that once in a life time dog.

Ruby.jpg

Caustic Burno":12nu9li2 said:
Wife went out and bought this the other day.
001-1.jpg

She was trying to cheer me up after losing Ruby. She doesn't get it Ruby was that once in a life time dog.

Ruby.jpg
And this little squirt given half a chance will be another once in lifetime dog, just in a different way. I still miss my Reggie and she's been dead 12 years

That pup's gonna own ya pretty quick Caustic.....Don't worry about Ruby she's always gonna be with you.

Heck my old girl Ginger has been riding around in the back seat for almost a year waiting to make one last trip to South Dakota!

That is a darling pup, CB, And what 3-way said is true . . . this one will also be a best friend. I don't think anyone goes through life with really only ONE single best friend. They are best in different places in your heart.

Kathie in Thorp":1bmqkv5l said:
That is a darling pup, CB, And what 3-way said is true . . . this one will also be a best friend. I don't think anyone goes through life with really only ONE single best friend. They are best in different places in your heart.

She had better line out pretty fast.
I have already started calling her Devil Dog .I know everyone was trying to be nice, I like picking my own dog.
She is a coward never seen that in a Russell she better grow out of it pretty quick or I am going to find her a home, or tell the wife to take care of her dog as I am going and getting a real Russell.

Caustic Burno":4apj1dy0 said:
She had better line out pretty fast.
I have already started calling her Devil Dog .I know everyone was trying to be nice, I like picking my own dog.
She is a coward never seen that in a Russell she better grow out of it pretty quick or I am going to find her a home, or tell the wife to take care of her dog as I am going and getting a real Russell.
Let's face it, one should be able to choose their own dog as it's going to be at your side for many years to come. The timing has got to be right too, some people can replace a dog the following day while with others time is needed to heal.
When I lost my G/Shepherd to cancer my friends brought me a Ridge back/Lab pup. I knew they were only trying to help but I kinda resented it. I still have her and she turned out to be a truly excellent companion and guard dog, she is however very sensitive to my moods. She has never got a hiding in her life as I taught her to listen to voice commands only, she has only got love from me but I sometimes wonder if she didn't pick up my initial emotions when still a pup.
That being said, I have never seen a dog that does not react to love and kindness, it's what builds character and confidence in an animal.

Good luck with the little girl CB, she will never be your Ruby but give her a chance to grow and she may surprise you ;-) .

That is a major problem as I am still grieving the loss of Ruby. I buried her up by my shop and sit in a lawn chair and still talk to her everyday. I know it sound's silly for an old man to get that attached to a dog.
Ruby could alway's brighten my day and make me laugh. She was a loving and loyal companion.
Never owned a dog like Ruby and never will again there was something just special about her.
I miss my friend terrible. I have to force myself to go into the pasture and do thing's.
I am haunted by her loss as everywhere I go on this place I can see my precious Ruby. :cry2:

The new pup has some issue's that need to be corrected as all puppies do, I just don't want to mess with her.
I will never mistreat her and will take care of her, but she got the short end of the stick on this deal.
I think she is the ugliest Jack Russell I have ever seen. I like the red and white one's with a rough coat as my other's have been. She is tri colored and smooth coated. She will end up being the wife's or one of the grandkid's before it is over I am pretty sure. She just has too big of track's to fill. I am not sure I even want another one.

I would say the Newfoundland I have one now, and he is my little Cuddle bear-
For loyalty and Guarding that would have to be the German Shepherds i use to raise those-they are super smart
I also favor Pyringes, Heinz 57-and beagles-Beagles do the cutest and craziest things

CB: I know how you feel, I have a dog now MAX who is 18 years old, his senses are failing him, and I have to watch him like a hawk,hate to say this but I know his time is drawing near-and I am going to be a crying mess-I'm already crying just thinking about it-we do get attached to pets, I have lost a few over the years, it is hard, but time does heal the loss

Well, my favorite dog now has to be 2 of them -- rescue puppies we got a few weeks ago at 5 weeks. They are a terrior-X-something or other, brother and sister, and different as night and day in their looks and temperments (sp?). And they drive the house cat crazy, but he's training them . . . . They have lightened our hearts and make our days much more interesting!!

GMN":1sm6hgw0 said:
CB: I know how you feel, I have a dog now MAX who is 18 years old, his senses are failing him, and I have to watch him like a hawk,hate to say this but I know his time is drawing near-and I am going to be a crying mess-I'm already crying just thinking about it-we do get attached to pets, I have lost a few over the years, it is hard, but time does heal the loss

Monday I am going to look at a litter of puppies out of Ole Rube's line.
I know that it won't be Ruby. I might be able to pick a Gem or Pearl.
I have owned several out of that line and they were all good dog's and one great one.
The current one here is a POS I have started out the door more than once with the 22.
The Mrs. has saved it's life twice. One day she is not going to be around to save the Devil Dog.

or maybe you should just wait awhile before u get another dog, because if you are looking to replace the one that died, you can't-and its not fair to any new dog you may get, until you are over the one you lost.
My sons Beagle died unexpected, had some seizures and just died one morning, yikes all day I sat here, how on earth would I tell them their dog died, but i figured I would tell them the truth, so they could handle it and move on. I know some parents lie and say the dog ran off-but then the kids sit around and think they are coming back, have that hope that they will see the dog again.
Anyways it was about 6 months when we saw the ad in for beagle pups and we got one of those, they picked him out and he became known as Charger, we still have him, and he is a very amusing hunter, that bark he makes when he is hunting rabbits or squirrels is so cute

GMN":gapyjell said:
or maybe you should just wait awhile before u get another dog, because if you are looking to replace the one that died, you can't-and its not fair to any new dog you may get, until you are over the one you lost.
My sons Beagle died unexpected, had some seizures and just died one morning, yikes all day I sat here, how on earth would I tell them their dog died, but i figured I would tell them the truth, so they could handle it and move on. I know some parents lie and say the dog ran off-but then the kids sit around and think they are coming back, have that hope that they will see the dog again.
Anyways it was about 6 months when we saw the ad in for beagle pups and we got one of those, they picked him out and he became known as Charger, we still have him, and he is a very amusing hunter, that bark he makes when he is hunting rabbits or squirrels is so cute

The problem began when the family bought me the one I have now after the loss of Rube.
They were trying to be nice.

Caustic Burno":2ylwtj7x said:
The problem began when the family bought me the one I have now after the loss of Rube.
They were trying to be nice.

CB some of my favorite does just showed up out the clear blue and were "adopted". It was almost like they were "sent". Maybe that will happen to you and one will adopt you. ;-)

Latest posts