• Maine Anjou

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shorthorn

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • Simmental

Votes: 7 7.4%

• Total voters
alftn":3ka2pjsj said:
WELL THE POLL DOES SAY FAVORITE BREED......

Not the breed that makes money......That would be, ANGUS - BLACK ANGUS......
I guess we can all have an opinion. I am having a problem finding a breed called Black Angus though. Doesn't seem to be one.

novaman":2lpvgtpj said:
alftn":2lpvgtpj said:

I guess we can all have an opinion. I am having a problem finding a breed called Black Angus though. Doesn't seem to be one.
Nova....alftn will have to give you directions on that one. One of those dehorned mostly black holsteins of yours might pass for one in some herds. :lol2:

alftn":25ru9hv4 said:

It also does not reflect the fact that Black Angus is 10 times larger than any thing else.

You also have to take into fact that Bramma are only use because of NEED, If I live one step this side of be nice , they would be a FAV of my also...

I am a NOVICE, but I raise BEEF cattle, NOT NOVITY CATTLE....

Of course less not forget the breed that have very little BEEF use, Yet there are alot of people here that Do raise NOVITY cattle....Mini,Horns,etc....
if your a novice,, how do you know... maybe you needs professional guidance :cowboy:

Murray Grays could be considered just as much a Shorthorn derivative as an Angus derivative.

Brahman influenced cattle are just as important as a beef producer as any of them imo. Yes, they exist because of need. A bigger need than most realize.

TexasBred":2wl7pi1j said:
novaman":2wl7pi1j said:
alftn":2wl7pi1j said:

Nova....alftn will have to give you directions on that one. One of those dehorned mostly black holsteins of yours might pass for one in some herds. :lol2:

:clap:

I have watched the Hereford breed all but vanish in the last 30 years..

I am sure there are location where they are still thick but around here they are rare, and do not try to buy them, just to darn high price.....

It is ashamed that the Hereford and shorthorn both have gotten so far from favor.

alftn":3f1hhdem said:
I have watched the Hereford breed all but vanish in the last 30 years..

I am sure there are location where they are still thick but around here they are rare, and do not try to buy them, just to darn high price.....

It is ashamed that the Hereford and shorthorn both have gotten so far from favor.
alf..if you ever make it out around Alpine, Texas check out the Kokernot 06 Ranch....covers about 300,000 acres and runs about 35,000 head of herefords so they say. Might be hard to get a count on that much land. Suppose to be good cattle.

ArmyDoc":16gniyfu said:
Red Angus... On the poll I suppose you could say Angus and derivative breeds, which would include red angus and murrey greys...

Actually, Red Angus would not be derivatives of Angus, they are Angus. The original angus were both red and black. I kind of resent having to say red angus. The black angus folk should have to specify black angus. The American Angus Association should be the American Black Angus Association. The black angus association could just as easily picked the red color.

From Wikipedia:

Angus cattle (Aberdeen Angus) are a Scottish breed of cattle much used in beef production. They were developed from cattle native to the counties of Aberdeenshire and Angus in Scotland,[1] and are known as Aberdeen Angus in most parts of the world.

They are naturally polled (do not have horns) and solid black or red, although the udder may be white. There have always been both red and black individuals in the population, and in the USA they are regarded as two separate breeds - Red Angus and Black Angus. Black Angus is the most popular beef breed of cattle in the United States, with 324,266 animals registered in 2005.

Gyr! But for a living, Red Angus and crosses with Hereford and continental
In the 60s rather then Red Angus it would have been (and was) Shorthorn. That was before the breed got screwed up with the appendix crap for showing

Not real picky just so they are 1/2 or 1/4 Brahma and I perfer them not to be black, do to heat. But I do want to breed them to a black bull with short ears that will throw black calves. calves grow good and sell good

djinwa":2z056bmc said:
Actually, Red Angus would not be derivatives of Angus, they are Angus. The original angus were both red and black. I kind of resent having to say red angus. The black angus folk should have to specify black angus. The American Angus Association should be the American Black Angus Association. The black angus association could just as easily picked the red color.

Fair enough, and I agree with you. Derivatives probably wasn't the most accurate word to use, but most people draw a distinction between the blacks, red, lowlines etc... that's why I specified red, because I don't care for black, even though they are technically the same breed.

there's a he#@ of alot difference in the red and black angus now, if only the reds were black,, alot of untainted blood in them :cowboy:

bishopcattleco":2w9xu3cj said:
you are from texas .u have a texas atm logo .u didnt know brahman cattle where made in america
Where did you think they were "made"?

Well I'll throw another into this discussion. I voted Simmental.

Now, I don't have near the heat issues that a lot on this board seem to. (Although this week our humidex has our "feels like" over 100 F.) We have high quality forage for a large part of the year (rain-fed, moderate climate in the great lakes basin.) They work here. They work as purebreds, and they are outstanding as part of a controlled crossing scheme. They are the base of our cowherd, so I guess I'd be a hypocrite if I didn't vote for them. :cowboy:

Latest posts