Favorite Beef Cuts

Help Support CattleToday:

SirLoin

Reaction score
For those of you who raise your own beef, what are your favorite beef cuts, and do you get your beef cut up any special way to get any lesser known cuts that you really enjoy?

My favorites are sirloin steaks with chip steak (round) for steak sandwiches coming in a close second, and a nice top round for a roast beef placing 3rd.

There are other steaks more tender than a sirloin, but none can compare in flavor, IMO. nothing beats a nice well marbled (yes, sirloin can be well marbled :mrgreen: ) 1" thick angus sirloin steak, dry aged for 3 weeks, marinated in 3 parts Yoshida Sweet and Savory and 1 part Cider Vinegar (2-4 hrs.), and cooked fast on charcoal with peach or necatarine wood for smokey flavor, on the rare side of mediaum rare............I'm starting to drool on my keyboard

I was planning on cooking this guy for dinner, but he might not make it past noon

2010Sirloin007.jpg

I too like thick cut steak. Yes sirloin is good. But good steak is good steak from any cut. Rib eye and T bone etc.

The problem I have is the boss lady likes her steak beyond well done. Thick cuts don't bade well for easy grilling on fast heat for this scenario.

Once in a blue moon I can buy steak from the butcher shop that are as good as the ones I produce. The expense of getting this quality is something to reckon with. I don't really mind paying for it but get ticked off paying a lot of nickels for steak that does not meet my expectations.

How can you narrow it down to one favorite cut.... when done right I love Prime Rib, New York Strip, Ribeye, Sirloin and a Fillet..... heck what I guess I am saying, is when done right any cut of beef is my favorite. :lol2:

Stew beef and burger
I have run out and bought some at the grocery store-- YUCK
especially the stew beef, it was tough- my dry aged stew beef is so tender it almost melts.
And the burger from the store is watery and by itself has no flavor

I have bought steaks that i enjoyed as much as the ones from my calves. Keep in mind I do not like Filet Mignon, its too mushy for my tastes.

Funny story- I made hamburgers for a party
The kids thought something was wrong because it tasted different- most wouldn't even finish their burger
The older people loved it because it tasted like hamburgers used to.
The middle aged (20-30) were split 50:50

I could live off strip steaks. Also very addicted to brisket when smoked and seasoned right.

I also really like Bulgalbi, aka Korean Ribs. I wont eat regular beef ribs but these things are slammin' when marinated in terriyaki overnight and cooked fast on a hot grill for about 15 minutes, turning often.

We enjoy all cuts , as long as you know how to prepare them, they all are fantastic. EXCEPT liver, gross.

I like sirloin when we do something like steak au poivre ,which is what is on the menu tomorrow night . Not a huge fan of Tbone , the new york strip side of it is not my favorite texture of beef.

It's all good, just depends what you are in the mood for. Sirloin does have a good flavor and if you like it on the rare side it should be tender. I think the chuck has a good flavor, too, and chuck roast is the best for pot roast. Favorite steak, rib steak and with the bone on is just fine.

Once in awhile, liver and onions, of course with mashed potatoes and pan gravy, is soooooooo good. IF the liver is cooked just right. Not rare but not overcooked and rubbery. It's probably harder to get just right than a steak.

i wish the whole carcass was 1 1/4" thick oklahoma t-bone. the rest could be stew meat; i'm getting kind of tired of the hamburg, but it's still better than store bought.

I love ground beef. I could eat it every night. There is just nothing like a really great burger. I also love stew meat in soups. Next in line would be wing steaks, they are my favourite steak. For roasts I like eye of round best.

SirLoin":1ebx98e7 said:
For those of you who raise your own beef, what are your favorite beef cuts, and do you get your beef cut up any special way to get any lesser known cuts that you really enjoy?

My favorites are sirloin steaks with chip steak (round) for steak sandwiches coming in a close second, and a nice top round for a roast beef placing 3rd.

There are other steaks more tender than a sirloin, but none can compare in flavor, IMO. nothing beats a nice well marbled (yes, sirloin can be well marbled :mrgreen: ) 1" thick angus sirloin steak, dry aged for 3 weeks, marinated in 3 parts Yoshida Sweet and Savory and 1 part Cider Vinegar (2-4 hrs.), and cooked fast on charcoal with peach or necatarine wood for smokey flavor, on the rare side of mediaum rare............I'm starting to drool on my keyboard

I was planning on cooking this guy for dinner, but he might not make it past noon

2010Sirloin007.jpg
How are you able to taste the great flavor of that sirloin after it has been swimming in that marinade? Sounds like you like the marinade better than the beef.

Latest posts