fattening show steers

Help Support CattleToday:

circlecbeef

Reaction score
My kids are feeding a couple of steers for our fair which is in the middle of August. They weigh around 925-950 pounds right now. One steer is Sim/Angus x Maine, the other is Sim/Angus. Due to our location, I have to buy a brand name pre-mixed ration. I would like them to finish at about 13-1400 lbs which is where they should based on their frame score. Is it best to use a ration with high protein (14%) or do I need to look more for a higher fat content or what combination of the two would be best for me to use?
Thanks for your help!

circlecbeef":3bspeq28 said:
My kids are feeding a couple of steers for our fair which is in the middle of August. They weigh around 925-950 pounds right now. One steer is Sim/Angus x Maine, the other is Sim/Angus. Due to our location, I have to buy a brand name pre-mixed ration. I would like them to finish at about 13-1400 lbs which is where they should based on their frame score. Is it best to use a ration with high protein (14%) or do I need to look more for a higher fat content or what combination of the two would be best for me to use?
Thanks for your help!

11% to 12% protein should be enough. Buy "Show Calf Finisher" add some additional steam rolled corn to the mix and give him plenty of it. You could pour a couple of ounces of corn or soy oil over the mix every day for additional energy.

Who makes "Show calf Finisher"? and is rolled corn better than cracked?
TexasBred":hcmdbrvm said:
circlecbeef":hcmdbrvm said:
Thanks for your help!

11% to 12% protein should be enough. Buy "Show Calf Finisher" add some additional steam rolled corn to the mix and give him plenty of it. You could pour a couple of ounces of corn or soy oil over the mix every day for additional energy.

circlecbeef":1yqfh6w8 said:
TexasBred":1yqfh6w8 said:
circlecbeef":1yqfh6w8 said:
Thanks for your help!

Most companies that make a line of show feeds will have a starter, grower and then a finisher. Purina, Acco, Kent...all the major brands plus a lot of regional companies. Cracked corn will work.

[quote="circlecbeef":3mpom84o said:
Thanks for your help!
"TexasBred"]
circlecbeef":3mpom84o said:
TexasBred":3mpom84o said:
circlecbeef":3mpom84o said:
Thanks for your help!
Thanks TexasBred!

Most companies that make a line of show feeds will have a starter, grower and then a finisher. Purina, Acco, Kent...all the major brands plus a lot of regional companies. Cracked corn will work.[/quote]

Txbred is absolutely right. You DO NOT want a high protein feed.
Also, whole shell corn works just as well. They used to say that there was an 8% difference in efficiency and if you could purchase cracked corn for less than 8% more than it was worth it - but - the most recent research claims there is NO difference - consumption, feed efficiency, gain - nothing.
I feed whole shell corn to our weaned calves and also to our show string (with added protein pellets & other "stuff"). Calves actually LIKE something to crunch. If you've been feeding sweet feet, it's pretty hard to "switch" to whole shell corn, but if you're going to add it to a mixed finish ration, it'll work great.

Thanks Jeanne, I will look into the whole shell corn feed. The kids are taking the steers and a heifer to a jackpot show on memorial weekend. I will let you know how they do. How many calves in your "show string" and where do you show them at?

Interesting Jeanne. I looked at your website and was impressed. You must be familiar with club calf AI bulls and so I have a question that is different from what this started out as but; are you familiar with the bull "Mama's Boy"? My wife and daughter want calves with some color so we have chosen this bull to breed our cow and heifer to later this spring. I would be interested to hear what you or anyone else thinks of this bull and is he OK to use on a heifer?

circlec - thanks!
No, I'm not familiar with him. Who carries him? I looked thru my books and didn't find him. "Most" club calf sires are soooo post legged it's hard for me to get excited about them. It is good to check out his calving ease - because many of them are hard calvers. Remember, you may not get a steer - you may get a heifer. Will she be added to your herd? or used as a market heifer? Because, many of these bulls also produce very poor milking females. I'm just saying, check them out.

Since you have Simmentals, I thought you might know of him. He is a son of Meyer 734 with good birth weights for heifers. He is a baldy bull (thus hopefully the color). SEK Genetics carries him. I understand what you mean about keeping heifers that were bred to get show "steers". We have looked at his feminine traits also so I think we are OK if we have a heifer and decide to keep her.

circlec - we use a 734 son - 3C Macho. LOVE his calves and he really stamps them with a blaze face - BUT, I would not recommend him for heifers. He can throw some pretty heavy BW. But, all the calves have that "presence". They carry themselves very well.

The bull Jeanne uses is a really nice bull. Why don't you get some of Mama's boys semen for your heifers and consider Macho for your cows? I looked him up and he is ok but I don't know if he would have the presence other baldies do and hopefully pass on to your calves...

Thanks cowgirl, I have looked into Macho and I think I will use him in the future on my cows--g'day!

circlecbeef":1y88ku0g said:
Thanks cowgirl, I have looked into Macho and I think I will use him in the future on my cows--g'day!
I know the Christensens' and have seen 3C Macho in person in the pasture. Great bull. His heifer calves they have are good looking also. I hope he does as well for you if you use him.