Fatten Up The Dogs!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Bez

Reaction score
OK - before anyone asks - Yes!

These animals have been seen by a vet - twice in fact. The last time only a week ago. De-wormed regularly / diet changed as per discussion with vet AND feed nutritionist who specializes in cattle, but has been kind enough to put me in touch with their small animal guy.

These mutts are Heinz 57 variety - just a year old - get all they want including meat, egg, dry dog food of good quality, milk if they want and various additives to help them along. Free choice everything and they pound the food down. They weigh in at about 50 pounds and are so thin the ribs and hip bones stick out.

All concerned figure they are healthy and active so I should not worry, but the dogs require about 5 - 7 more pounds to be in top shape.

Great pooches - suspect a little Collie in them hence some natural thinness. Coat is medium length and shiny, eyes are bright and so on - nose also shows Collie lines.

Yeah, they are young and growing so it is natural to be a bit on the thin side - but these guys are rediculously thin. I even spent some money to get some blood work done - all came back ok.

It is embarrassing when folks come by - they always ask when I am going to start feeding the dogs. I am getting tired of going through the "They get all they want" stories.

Anyone got a secret recipie?

Bez

Try some fatty foods like gravies and lard. I cook with lard for our meals and then scrap the pan after it has cooled for the cats and dogs. You could scramble your eggs in lard and cook the meat you give them in lard and feed the whole works to them. It's extra work but maybe worth it. For something easier maybe buy jars of gravy. Our daughter has a medical condition that makes it hard for her to put on weight. Doc said to feed her fatty foods like this and to use real butter on everything possible. Maybe same idea would work for your dogs. Is the milk you're using for human consumption? Our vet told us to quit feeding our cats this milk because cats are allergic to it. They had continuous colds that nothing fixed. Took the milk away and everyone cleared up. Don't know if it could have some reaction to dogs. Our dogs rob the milk replacer bags, would that have enough fat to it to help?

Got to thinkin' - I have a recipe for homemade milk replacer for baby pigs that uses half and half. Half and half has a higher fat content so maybe that could help too.

I'd go with something along the lines of what Farmhand said, increase their fat intake. Perhaps when they get a little more mature they will level off and not burn so many calories. Good luck.

Katherine

Forget the gravy idea unless it is in small amounts. We have tried several different recipies - usually it ends up coming back up within the hour - and the mess is almost as bad as the smell! :shock:

But I have not tried frying in lard - heck I like eggs done that way as well! I can just feel those arteries stiffening up.

If I can keep the richness out of the food they can hold it down - but here is one for you.

Because cattle prices are so low in Canada I tend to feed them all the steaks, roasts and burger they can handle - cheaper then dog food. I cooked up a bunch of round steaks the other day and fed them both a couple of pounds of the stuff. Then I tossed milk and flour in the frying pan and made a real small amount of gravy for them - topped it up with some dry dog food. Gone in seconds!

Almost makes me hungry thinking about it. :lol:

Thanks folks - I think I might try some milk replacer - I have seen them eat it dry so I know they like it.

Have never fed cod liver oil - I suspect they will like it - heaven knows I can't stand the stuff.

Back later,

Bez

Hi Bez,

Nothing retains and helps put on weight more than oatmeal added to the dog food. 4 cups per meal for a 50-60 lb dog.

Pasta ( I prefer Ziti ) added to the dog food at 1/2 lb per feeding.
Cook up a full box and split it between 2 meals/

Dinty Moore stew is a quick appetite enhancer and also helps to retain weight on thin dogs--added to their dry food. Slowly incorporate into their regular meals.

Stay away from gravies--they cause digestive upset--same as lard, butter and other too fatty foods.

Milk is not benificial for dogs over the age of 8 weeks of age--most milk causes digestive upsets in adult dogs and is counter productive in trying to get them to GAIN weight.

Dogs will eat most anything, but it doens't mean it is healthy or safe for them.

A premium dog food will help your dog.--- without all the added junk that other dog foods have. It will cost about $1.00/lb--but you certainly feed alot less because 1 cup is so calorie dense with QUALITY ingredients.

Instead of feeding 6-7 cups of your low quality dog food/twice a day, you would feed just one cup twice a day. Big difference. And... alot less to pick up outside, because the dog is really absorbing the ingredients.. and not "borrowing " the food. Such as dog foods with corn and other "filler" ingredients.

Which dry food are you feeding now ?

Make sure your dog food does not have CORN in the ingredients or "by products", etc.
Generally, if you buy cheap/poor dog food ( Old Roy, etc ) you will be spending more $$ at the vets with ear infections, dry skin, digestive upsets and lots of other things.

The past 20 years I have done foster care for hundreds of rescue and shelter dogs-- of every breed, age, temperment and size-- and have learned what works and what doesn't. ( still learning ~! ) Oatmeal and ziti --added to quality dog food---have given the quicker results for the many 4 legged "guests" here.

Hope this helps.

Rich gravy and high fat content foods are two of the worst things for a dog and very hard on the digestive system. If they are not sick and get all the food they want I would think they have a high metabolic rate. We have two cats who are sisters and they have a full food dish 24/7. One is a porker and the other you would think we starve. Go figure. :cboy:

Cowcop

I am feeding customized mix dry dog food - from the small animal guy at Purina - it has no name because they mix it specially for me. He said the same thing - no corn and filler. Pure beef out of my freezer.

Have not tried oatmeal and pasta - but I am going to.

I will give it a try - these dogs are very healthy and so active it amazes me - do not know how I got tangled up with them, but I did.

Thanks to all.

Bez

Bez":317yrswz said:
these dogs are very healthy and so active it amazes me - Bez

I wonder if that's the key. I've GSPs that were so hyper they never gained weight, alwasy looked like the humane society should pick them up and give them to somebody that would feed them. Othres that were more calm and looked good, and of course the others that were so lazy they were alwasy fat.
If it's the hyper deal, there isn;t anything short of a tranq that would help. As long as they're not nutritionally challenged I wouldn't worry. I'ld just cringe when somebody accused me of starving them.

dun

Hey Bez,

Just a thought--

Can you post photos of these 2 lucky dogs?

If you do not know their complete family tree, they just might have some "sighthound" in them ( greyhound, saluki, whippet etc ) and those dogs always appear like a skeleton.
The clue is how their feet and toes look--Greyhounds and greyhound mixes have different looking toes...... Take a photo.

The oatmeal and pasta WILL work.
I should mention I use Quaker Oats or the store brand and I buy it in bulk and when ever it is on sale. Same with pasta.

I have a greyhound mix and a visiting friend has a golden retriever/ greyhound mix that is always boney and running 40 mph through the pastures. A sight to see. A lower protein quality food with the oatmeal mixed in, has really helped.

Also--if you are feeding a HIGH PROTEIN dog food--you are putting JET fuel into your dog and that WILL make them more active. Counter productive to gaining weight.
So cut down on the protein content, and that will "calm" the canines a little bit. 22-24% protein is a good level for adult dogs.

It goes without saying that spaying/neutering is a healthy choice, but does NOT guarantee that a dog gains weight. "The eye of the master fattens the beast."
I have a pack of s/n dogs here and all are trim. Several are age 14 and 15.

You are fortunate to be able to make fresh dog food from your beef cattle.
You might want to think about getting into the premium dog food business.
Just need one good protein source and 3 other quality ingredients--and you'll make the infamous "RECCOMMENDED DOG FOOD LIST" and become rather wealthy in a very short time. Guaranteed.

Ferdinand D Bull":1asfhq1e said:
Spay or neuter them. That always puts weight on them.

Good answer. Probably got a little greyhound or whippit in them and they will never get fat.

Pics

First have to get one of them cameras - then have to get a computer that you can plug into - this old computer can't hack the program.

No sight gazers here - talked with the owner of the mom last night. Shepherd/collie/hound and something.

They pounded the oatmeal down. As for specialty dog food - never thought of it. Last night I added burger and some rib steak to their food.

Folks reading this will think these dogs are quite spoiled - just that an old cull cow goes for 20 cents a pound - so we cut one up for the dogs.

Will keep you advised.

Bez

I've got a couple collies that are like that, Bez. They can't keep weight on themselves, as the silly twits are constantly running the pen, God bless 'em. Basically I'm resigned to the fact that someday they might slow down and gain a couple pounds.

Oh, about the pen - better they stay penned until they are worked, as I can't afford any more vet bills from running horses through wire fences (also seem to be fascinated with stalking bypassing pickups).

Take care.

ps. Cheap and easy additive that might help is pouring some Canola oil over their food. They'll be the shiniest dogs in the neighbourhood at any rate. ;-)

Hubby's hound gets real thin after a litter of pups. A handfull of calf manna pellets on top of the feed always helps her put the weight back on pretty quick.

greenwillowherefords":3egzqkwg said:
If you can get Science Diet in Canada I have no doubt it will beat Purina.

Not necessarily.

Science Diet has one of the highest %'s of corn, "by products" and other "fillers" on the market. CORN IS FOR COWS---NOT DOGS~!!!
Read the first 5 ingredients and see what kind of junk your hard earned cash is going to.

SD has never been on the RECOMMENDED DOG FOOD LIST because of its unhealthy ingredients.

SD causes itching, hot spots, skin problems, ear infections, stomach upsets and other issues in sensitive dogs.

Stay away from it.

40+ years ago SD was the first premium dog food ever created using by products from various agricultural enterprises. However, they never up graded their cheap ingredients or made healthy changes to their "vet approved" recipe. Buyers beware.

Latest posts