Fat versus Marbling EPD?

Help Support CattleToday:

boondocks

Reaction score
Howdy! We have some (registered) Angus that we don't grain (grass only). Solely use AI. Especially because they're grass-fed, I'm attuned to tenderness (the need for); I've mostly paid attention to marbling EPDs, but being fairly new, realize that I should be looking at the fat EPD also. (I think!)
Any comment/advice out there? Here's the select sires Angus lineup, organized by high-to-low marbling. (You can click on the top tabs for to put other traits in order). Thanks!
http://www.selectsiresbeef.com/index.ph ... marb%20epd

We have 2 fat EBV's, the rib fat and rump fat and then seperately the Intra muscular fat EBV. A lot of people are chasing the +ve fat EBV's suggesting that the offspring may be easier doing but with everything it is always a balance.

Ken

You will never get the full benefit of genetic IMF on grassfed beef.

If fat=easy keeping cows, then why do some of the cows with longevity stay thinner and are not the pudgy type? A real balance and the only answers I have found has been knowing a bit more by studying Bonsma writings and looking for things on cows beyond the current talking points.

I agree with Ebenezer, and would advise caution in applying EPD's to performance on grass. Source genetics from programs that have been breeding for forage conversion, and not feedlot performance. I'm working on the assumption you are direct marketing your offspring on forage, which is why you are concerned with tenderness. Age of the animal is the most important correlations to tenderness, so a well devised, high energy forage chain is the key.

jdg":1egocagb said:
I agree with Ebenezer, and would advise caution in applying EPD's to performance on grass. Source genetics from programs that have been breeding for forage conversion, and not feedlot performance. I'm working on the assumption you are direct marketing your offspring on forage, which is why you are concerned with tenderness. Age of the animal is the most important correlations to tenderness, so a well devised, high energy forage chain is the key.

Thanks jdg, and everyone else as well. This sheds a bit more light.
Is it fair to say that, even though the marbling EPDs might not be 100% reliable (especially when applied to grass performance), that a sire that is 1.2 for marbling will likely produce better-marbled offspring than one that is .4? ie, that is might not be totally reliable but is at least worth taking into account (and trying to stay away form sires with super-low marbling EPD?)

boondocks":14rm15ti said:
jdg":14rm15ti said:

Thanks jdg, and everyone else as well. This sheds a bit more light.
Is it fair to say that, even though the marbling EPDs might not be 100% reliable (especially when applied to grass performance), that a sire that is 1.2 for marbling will likely produce better-marbled offspring than one that is .4? ie, that is might not be totally reliable but is at least worth taking into account (and trying to stay away form sires with super-low marbling EPD?)

Marbling comes from excess energy in the diet beyond other system needs. So if energy is limited it will not matter about genetics for the most part.

Latest posts