fat cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

redsimangus

Reaction score
OK I will try to stop asking so many qs but I'm trying to figure up a cheap way to fatten cattle. our fat market is good here and I was thinking of buying 7 to 8 weights an fatten them. I don't have much access to corn silage so I wouldn't be able to use that. I would like the calves to gain at least 3#s a day. do you gave any suggestions on a cheap feed?

i dont know thatll youll get 3 #'s a day but corn screenings in a self feeder on pasture works well. kind of the middle ground between feedlot and grass fed cattle. last i bought it was at about 100 a ton

As cheap as corn is now, I'd feed a corn based feed. The best formula I've seen is 3% of their body weight. Let them just lick up enough to leave a small amount in the bunk, then you'll know you have it. I feed hay free choice, I got some now that don't do much with the hay.

redsimangus":32d8va45 said:
OK I will try to stop asking so many qs but I'm trying to figure up a cheap way to fatten cattle. our fat market is good here and I was thinking of buying 7 to 8 weights an fatten them. I don't have much access to corn silage so I wouldn't be able to use that. I would like the calves to gain at least 3#s a day. do you gave any suggestions on a cheap feed?
The cheaper the feed the less gain you'll get so for your 3 lbs. per head per day it would take a lot of feed. 25-30 lbs. Get a good high energy, corn based ration with plenty of good hay available free choice.