Fat-Bellied Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a 2 1/2 month old Brangus/Jersey cross bull calf. He has a "Pot" (Fat) Belly...a rancher told me that I should feed him a high-protien diet & it would help get rid of his pot-belly. He told me that otherwise his pot-belly problem would lead to worse problems later on in life. Exactly WHAT is wrong--what is it called? I know he eats alot & I just figured his fat belly was because of this. (I have another calf that is a few weeks younger & doesn't have a big belly) They'll get weaned off the bottle within the next couple of weeks; they are both eating a whole big coffee can of creep feed/alflafa pellets per day + grass & hay (all they want). Thanks for any help/advice!

> I have a 2 1/2 month old
> Brangus/Jersey cross bull calf. He
> has a "Pot" (Fat)
> Belly...a rancher told me that I
> should feed him a high-protien
> diet & it would help get rid
> of his pot-belly. He told me that
> otherwise his pot-belly problem
> would lead to worse problems later
> on in life. Exactly WHAT is
> wrong--what is it called? I know
> he eats alot & I just figured
> his fat belly was because of this.
> (I have another calf that is a few
> weeks younger & doesn't have a
> big belly) They'll get weaned off
> the bottle within the next couple
> of weeks; they are both eating a
> whole big coffee can of creep
> feed/alflafa pellets per day +
> grass & hay (all they want).
> Thanks for any help/advice!

The advice was good. Its partly because of protein. At this age they should be getting about 18% protein (total ration). If they are eating grass hay, I would be questioning someone on its probable protein content. The other half of the problem is genetics, a lot of jersey cross calves are just fat-bellied. Doesn't hurt their feed conversion, growth rate, or finishing characteristics. Just don't look fancy. It will fatten nicely and will taste superior to most.

Thanks for the info....Personally how he 'looks' doesn't bother me--I just want him eventually in my freezer! ha They have grass hay...but don't eat much of it. They prefer the pasture grass and the feed mix I give them. (I live south of San Antonio--so yes, I still have grass growing out in the pasture.) Trying to find a few bales of Alfalfa down here is like pulling hens' teeth, and I've heard its expensive! (I grew up in SE Nebraska; grass, alfalfa and brome hay were easier to come by & cheaper!) Oh well, just another one of life's learning experiences!

Latest posts