Fastest Growing Breed Cross?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bullitt

Reaction score
Happy New Year Everyone!

What is the fastest growing breed cross? I understand that a cross breed will grow faster.

If you could choose the breed of cow and breed of bull to have a calf that grew the fastest, what breeds would you choose for the cow and the bull?

The cross that grows the fastest may not be the most profitable.
A dairy cow bred to a Charolais bull will produce a big calf but the cross described above will be much more profitable if your in the south especially.

Read before that Jersey x limousine is supposed to be the fastest growing doesn't mean it's the best though!

Sim-char bull bred to a Angus cow would have high growth and profitable.
Sim-char is probably the most under utilized cross of the euro breeds.

We weaned our biggest calves back in the day when our herd was straight Simmental and we switched to Blonde bulls. More than a few came off the cow at 800 lbs. Not sure how that compares to the other crosses mentioned.

kenny thomas":39sr0b60 said:
The cross that grows the fastest may not be the most profitable.
A dairy cow bred to a Charolais bull will produce a big calf but the cross described above will be much more profitable if your in the south especially.

I understand that there are other factors for most profitable. I was just curious what some fast growing cross breeds would be.

If I had a bunch of dairy cows, I might put a Charolais bull on them.

I am in North Texas, so some Brahman in the mix seems to be acceptable here.

ez14.":jbjznsv8 said:
Read before that Jersey x limousine is supposed to be the fastest growing doesn't mean it's the best though!

I might try that also if I had Jersey cows. I was just asking about fastest growing. I understand other factors are considered for most profitable.

sim.-ang.king":3b907fg8 said:
Sim-char bull bred to a Angus cow would have high growth and profitable.
Sim-char is probably the most under utilized cross of the euro breeds.

I would guess that would produce black calves, correct? At least if a black Simmental were in the mix, I think.

Caustic Burno":s5prq5kr said:
ALACOWMAN":s5prq5kr said:
Brahman F1 Cow ,bred to Simmental or Charolais..

That cross will wean 20% heavier than any two way cross

That is an impressive weight difference.

Are you currently using a cross like this? Do you use the Brahman X Hereford cows? Braford?

Bullitt":5fpznxwi said:
ALACOWMAN":5fpznxwi said:
Brahman F1 Cow ,bred to Simmental or Charolais..

With the Brahman F1, what do you cross with the Brahman?
preferably Hereford,, I raised some simbrah that could raise a little heavier calf, but they cost more to maintain..due to the Simmental bulls that were available back then...don't think there would be much difference now, in the size with the modern Bulls.

Silver":38z5jg9m said:
We weaned our biggest calves back in the day when our herd was straight Simmental and we switched to Blonde bulls. More than a few came off the cow at 800 lbs. Not sure how that compares to the other crosses mentioned.

How old were the calves and how heavy were their mommas?

Bullitt":1te1fau7 said:
Poor choice for a dairy herd, getting dairy cows off to a fast start milking makes money and you can lower milk
production by a couple thousand pounds per cow per year with calving problems.

Son of Butch":3mrhhck9 said:
Bullitt":3mrhhck9 said:
Poor choice for a dairy herd, getting dairy cows off to a fast start milking makes money and you can lower milk

We discussed not long ago how a big company was breeding its Jersey cows to Simmental bulls and selling the calves for beef. Would a Charolais bull be much different?

gcreekrch":oy0ddrwc said:
Silver":oy0ddrwc said:

How old were the calves and how heavy were their mommas?

Back in those days our our cull cows in the fall would average around 1500 lbs at the sale barn. We started calving last week of Feb and sold first week in October, so I suppose the average calf age would be somewhere around 210 days.

Bullitt":2p3n2vzw said:
Son of Butch":2p3n2vzw said:
Bullitt":2p3n2vzw said:

We discussed not long ago how a big company was breeding its Jersey cows to Simmental bulls and selling the calves for beef. Would a Charolais bull be much different?
Actually it's limousine x jersey and calves contract to affiliated feedlot, so market pre sold as they want limo not
simmi or charolais.
Straight jersey bull calves are worth about $10 and jersey dairy herds were doing it to capture value on otherwise
worthless calves. Jersey do calve easier than holstiens, but majority of dairy cows are holstiens.
Saying dairy cows makes me assume holstiens.

Bottom line: If you have a bunch of dairy cows = you want to be a dairy farmer seeking to add value to bull calves.
Straight dairy cows are the worst beef cows.

p.s.
The Big company owns both the large dairy farm/s and the feedlot/s with packer contracts in place and is also
the largest limo breeder in the usa. (Vertical integration)

Son of Butch":29kfpo7h said:
Actually it's limousine x jersey and calves contract to affiliated feedlot, so market pre sold as they want limo not
simmi or charolais.
Straight jersey bull calves are worth about $10 and jersey dairy herds were doing it to capture value on otherwise
worthless calves. Jersey do calve easier than holstiens, but majority of dairy cows are holstiens.
Saying dairy cows makes me assume holstiens.

Bottom line: If you have a bunch of dairy cows = you want to be a dairy farmer seeking to add value to bull calves.
Straight dairy cows are the worst beef cows.

p.s.
The Big company owns both the large dairy farm/s and the feedlot/s with packer contracts in place and is also
the largest limo breeder in the usa. (Vertical integration)

Yes, Limousine crossed with Jersey.

I do not plan to have a herd of Jersey cows.

What cross would you suggest for the fastest growing calf?

Latest posts