Farriers

Help Support CattleToday:

kerley

Reaction score
Anyone know what the going rate is for a farrier. Both my horses are older and very co-operative.
Tom

kerley":334172m1 said:
Anyone know what the going rate is for a farrier. Both my horses are older and very co-operative.
Tom

Get some numbers and call around. You will get different rates depending on if it is a foo foo horse-massage therapist farrier or not.

I used the same guy for years, and he was very reasonable. Then he ran off with the rodeo and we never say him again. He was cheap, but then I have miniature donkeys and they don't wear shoes. I lucked out. My new neighbor is a farrier.

man theres no telling what they charge now.the last time i heard it was $10 a hoof to trimm them.so that would be $40 a horse.

We have been paying $30. which is $5. more than I am use to paying, Now he is up to $35. for a trim. This is not a good time to increase prices. JMO
Tom.

If all they need is trimed up once in while why not do it your self? It ain't that hard to do if you take your time. Nippers and a rasp is all you need.

Red Bull Breeder":3bc38hum said:
If all they need is trimed up once in while why not do it your self? It ain't that hard to do if you take your time. Nippers and a rasp is all you need.

And good health insurance. Did it plenty when we were running horses back in the 60's and early 70's, seemed like I was always healing up from some kind of horse inflicted injury.

Rent yourself a farrier.

3waycross":3qbtmald said:
Red Bull Breeder":3qbtmald said:

And good health insurance. Did it plenty when we were running horses back in the 60's and early 70's, seemed like I was always healing up from some kind of horse inflicted injury.

Rent yourself a farrier.

ditto! Just cleaning the darned things out kills my back.

$30.00 for a trim, the farrier drives about 25 miles to do it. Is fast and efficient, but than spends an hour yakking with me. I don't know how he makes any money.

Lammie":zhz3oj01 said:
kerley":zhz3oj01 said:
Tom

Get some numbers and call around. You will get different rates depending on if it is a foo foo horse-massage therapist farrier or not.

I used the same guy for years, and he was very reasonable. Then he ran offwith the rodeo and we never say him again. He was cheap, but then I have miniature donkeys and they don't wear shoes. I lucked out. My new neighbor is a farrier.
i had a bull riding friend from stephenville, that was that way could'nt count on him for nothing.... could'nt ride a bull worth a dam, but could rope great, and break horse's .. .never could get him too put more into the ropin'..... he wanted to ride

I thought it is a requirement for a farrier to be either a current rodeo cowboy or a past one!! All of mine have been , and they are always nursing rodeo injuries!! And they will spend 30 minutes on the job then talk for an hour. Can't figure out how they pay there bills. If they do!!

mischief":36ewy307 said:
I thought it is a requirement for a farrier to be either a current rodeo cowboy or a past one!! All of mine have been , and they are always nursing rodeo injuries!! And they will spend 30 minutes on the job then talk for an hour. Can't figure out how they pay there bills. If they do!!
shoein' has payed for alot of entry fee's

alacattleman":ywtkfnhq said:
mischief":ywtkfnhq said:
shoein' has payed for alot of entry fee's

and crippled up a lot of old cowboys.

We had a great guy that worked at the track where we were stabled name of Marion Muzzy. Many's the day we had to help him straighten up from working on racehorses all day. He had lost teeth, tissue, and bones over the years to some of his more high spitited clients. Never stopped him tho, he was a hand and we all new it.

I have noticed some the same things about farriers, seems eventhough their job is dangerous enough but most of the injuries I have seen them have was from attempting to ride. Always thought it would be better off for them to stay off horses and let us do the riding. I do some farrier work but really hate it, I don't shoe anymore, just takes too much time.

Around here the going rate is $30 for a trim, includes house calls. I actually found a farrier that's really nice and really cares about the horses. I think he cares more about the horses than people - which is fine by me. Although he's always polite to me, I've seen he just give a "growl" to people before. The horses all know him and either like him or respect him intensely. They all follow his exact wishes, even the Arabian stallion.

Latest posts