farming with scrap iron

Help Support CattleToday:

crats

Reaction score
let me tell about it, today i went for part to my crisp 1974 case 1070. got the old parts in my hand and tell the guy it came out of it and the pix look different? after 20 min.s negotiating, begging, and such i left with some other parts that looked close?! when i gits home, an look, my front axle is in where i can't git to the pin. seems this is the only 74 with a 69 front end strange don't you think. now i got to do more cleaning and better planning it could take days!

i don't what year the front is but it aint supposed to be there the pin is backassards and had to jack it up about 1' and a half to git it out and the mount it worn out and the bushings are floppy just a great time for jb weld and a prayer!

I know nothing of your model Case, but I did have a little IH 454 utility that I went to mount a loader on one time. The swept-back (angled back) front axle it had would hit the loader frame although the loader was supposed to fit that model tractor, so I swapped it for a straight axle.

When I told the guy at the salvage yard what i wanted to do, he pulled a straight axle from an IH 574 (next larger size tractor) for me. Everything about the 574 axle was bigger, i.e. heavier duty, but the center pin was the same size and it fit my tractor. So, this is just another example (or two) of why one might swap a front axle, aside from the obvious reason of a busted axle. Made a nice little utility loader for in and around the barns.

Don't know if/why someone might have swapped axles on your case. But working on old stuff is always an adventure. :cboy:

--Marc

Oh say,

If you got to this site, you can lookup parts for Case, IH, and Farmall:
http://www1.caseih.com/northamerica/Par ... earch.aspx

Then click on the "Begin your search for the parts you need right here" link.

I was able to pull up the parts image and parts list for the front axle assembly for your Case 1070 - but I couldn't copy it here. You can also do a parts number search, and it will tell you what the part is for.

The green paint dealer also has a similar web site.

Hope this helps.

--Marc

got the front axle and a wheel seal pack axle (fixed) the front axle was swapped a few years back i guess and the former owner had put some bushing in places where the oringinal had none and washer to make up the differences in places slop had been i got it worked on but fixed is still questionable stopped some of the bleeding on some other spots it was going through 1 gallon more a day if it pull a days work on parked level ground. the parts where mix and match but with what i got and what i had i got it together. :clap: :clap:

crats":1akvtmk4 said:
i don't what year the front is but it aint supposed to be there the pin is backassards and had to jack it up about 1' and a half to git it out and the mount it worn out and the bushings are floppy just a great time for jb weld and a prayer!

Don;t ask how I know, but JBweld won;t hold the front axle pivot pin on an IH 460.

Latest posts