farming w/family problems

Help Support CattleToday:

Poundsy

Reaction score
Need some advice. My fathers wife(3rd. wife) doesn't want me or my family to have anything to do with the farm. My dad runs the grain side and we have cattle at another location at our house. 3 weeks ago my father told my wife and I we could move into the old farm house next to his. It has been vaccant for years so we start gutting it and pour half our life savings in to it. We were about 60% finished with it when the evil stepmother snapped and kicked us out. She is very possesive and doesn't like my dad doing anything without her and gets jealous when he is with our kids. He didn't stand up for us or anything. Now we have a problem as we have alot of money tied up in something that we can't have. I hate to get a lawyer involved but at this point I need to financially recoupe myself. Any thoughts or similiar experiences?

You need legal advice fast. That does not mean you have to sue and get the lawyer involved in anything. You just need to understand your legal options. I have no legal training, but that is my gut reaction.

I have already talked to a lawyer and I have rights to get my money back. I just was worried of what the reprecussions would be. I quess it doesn't matter anyway seeing as my cousin and I won't be involved in the farm that has been in our family for 120 years.

thats a bad deal,, aint no women ""non related""" gonna come between me and my kids.. how big a toe hold does this woman have..?

Not for sure, maybe the old man was in financial problems and she bailed him out? We didn't even know they got married until 2 months afterwards.

Here's what I would do. Get your Dad and the ww (wicked witch) in a neutral area. Sit down and have a conversation with them.
Explain to her that your Dad told you you could move into the house and you had put X amount of money into it. Since she has kicked you out you would like either the money or the right to live there.
Oh do not forget the tape recorder. Put it on the table right beteen you.
Get your Dad to admit that he said you could move in there.

Unfortunately some women like that get a hold on a guy and it goes like that.

I know some people in a similar situation. #2 wife is waiting for the old guy to die so she can kick his kids off the farms and turn it over to her kids.

There is no problem with the right to the house because the insurance agent was contacted and aware of what was going on,plus everyone in the family knew. I don't want to live there as long as she is involved in any of it. I quess I should call him and try to talk to him about it, I just know that as sonn as money is brought up it is going to turn ugly and lawyers will get involved.

Oh! how I hate women like this how can you be jealous of your Husbands kids, the relationship should be a completely different. If I were you I would get together with your Dad, and talk calmly about what is going on, tell him how things have upset you, and try to find out what his feelings are about the situation, what kind of hold she has on him. Be positive don't back down as she would have won, things like this always leave a bad taste for a while, but if you and your Dad are close/or were close you will be again as the old addage is 'Blood is thicker than water' he may not see what is going on at the moment and needs a little hint, as some men get infatuated by their new wife for a little while, and if all that fails then you only have one road to go down and that is unfortunatly the Lawyer. Maybe you might want to inroll the help of your cousin in the talks, as it is his/her farm inheritance also. Good Luck and God Bless.

Latest posts