Farming is tough

Help Support CattleToday:

I only watched the start of the video and was talking about measures China was dishing out to you guys. They have been punishing our farmers for some time over several comments our PM has made basically siding with the US over China's military expansion in the Sth China Sea and calls for an inquiry into the origin of Covid or something like that. Accused us of dumping our barley on them, finding things wrong with the printing on meat cartons that takes years to fix up, massive duties on our wine and the list goes on. They target things that they think they can get elsewhere. Most things we have been able to find markets elsewhere which overall has been good to be able to diversify and not rely them.

Ken

I only watched the start of the video and was talking about measures China was dishing out to you guys. They have been punishing our farmers for some time over several comments our PM has made basically siding with the US over China's military expansion in the Sth China Sea and calls for an inquiry into the origin of Covid or something like that. Accused us of dumping our barley on them, finding things wrong with the printing on meat cartons that takes years to fix up, massive duties on our wine and the list goes on. They target things that they think they can get elsewhere. Most things we have been able to find markets elsewhere which overall has been good to be able to diversify and not rely them.

Ken
China is corrupt pile of garbage, that is more interested in ruling the world than making friends. Anyone that thinks otherwise are either naive, or paid off by the Chinese. Trump should have hit them even harder, and this coming from someone lost a good chunk of money from grain sales.

That's certainly a topic most people who just drive by and see framers/ranchers working never think about. Just assume we are all living the glory life making big $$$ not realizing what it takes to put food on the store shelves and their table.

Didn't know about this issue. Diffinately sad. Most people don't have a clue as to how much stress and worry is involved when it comes to farming.

My operation is very small and doesn't begin to hold a lite to what some of these farmers that have to deal with and the responseibilties they have everyday the sun comes up.

It never crossed my mind there are farmer's that have committed suicide. Let alone as many that do.

I have an all together different perspective of what they have to deal with to make a living at farming. And at the same time alot of admiration and respect for thoes that do.

I remember seeing my dad sitting at the kitchen table at 2 in the morning, smoking a cigarette hoping it would rain, or that it would stop raining.

I have not know a farmer that committed suicide where drugs were not involved.

A 2017 Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) study found that farm owners and workers were three to five times as likely to kill themselves on the job compared with other occupations.​

I remember seeing my dad sitting at the kitchen table at 2 in the morning, smoking a cigarette hoping it would rain, or that it would stop raining.

I have not know a farmer that committed suicide where drugs were not involved.

A 2017 Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) study found that farm owners and workers were three to five times as likely to kill themselves on the job compared with other occupations.​
Listened a little to a radio program yesterday morning, concerning veterinarian surcides on the rise. It was interesting, I just can't listen to that kind of stuff very long. When in the military, they went through a campaign of suicide awsreness education, then decided that the rates went down the less it was mentioned, so IDK.

Listened a little to a radio program yesterday morning, concerning veterinarian surcides on the rise. It was interesting, I just can't listen to that kind of stuff very long. When in the military, they went through a campaign of suicide awsreness education, then decided that the rates went down the less it was mentioned, so IDK.
Had a veterinarian from here, that did couple years ago..right after that I seen an article where it was on the increase among vets..a lot of stress and a crapload of schooling..

Saw that video about a month ago. Not very uplifting, I can see where it would be hard to handle.

Sure there's exceptions but most farmers/ ranchers I know are more adaptable and resilient than that.
There's cowards in all professions
Calling people cowards because they have difficulty dealing with stressful situations is not helpful. The world is becoming more and more lacking in compassion. That kind of reaction or fear of it from peoples families or people around them likely keeps many from opening up about their problems. We never know the kinds of problems that people have behind closed doors. If I remember correctly you have a just walk it off view of most things, and I respect that. I use that way of thinking too for myself a lot of times, but I'd be lying if I said that was easy to do or that I haven't let stress and worry get to me at times before putting things into perspective.
I've had two cousin's and a friend that have committed suicide. In all of those circumstances it caught each family by surprise as there apparently weren't clues that they were having such coping difficulties.

Latest posts