Farmers Almanac

Help Support CattleToday:

OK, now that we are up and running again I will give you a serious answer.

I agree with M5.
You have every right to believe what you want.

I view the signs much the same as I view religion
To me both are faith based and anything that is faith based can neither be proven nor disproved as faith is what you already believe.
And I see no harm in believing in either.

Now as for " Does anyone go by signs when working calves? "
I do not, but my father and grandfather did.
I do not, because I am a fact oriented person and therefore I never took the time to understand the significance of the signs.
Perhaps if I took the time to better understand it, I could become a believer as was my father and grandfather.
Could you please direct me to the origin of the signs as it relates to "working calves"?
How's that for a serious answer?
SL

M5farm":2mcr39ri said:
Signs were in Aries(head) . You have every right to believe what you want. A couple hundred years Farmers and Pioneers doing it by the signs can't be wrong. I can tell you from experience that working cows in the right sign makes a huge difference. Try dehorning a 100 head when its above the waist and you'll look like you've been in a slaughter house when your done. I am actually a roofing distribution and I would suggest you call a roofer. Do you call an electrician when your toilet won't flush?

That's the crazy thing about it that you can neither prove nor disprove. I can tell you from experience that the signs make absolutely no difference at all. Castrating, dehorning, cutting myself or anything else. But for those that believe in them "more power to them". No need to change anything.

TB in todays times more people tend to do it as needed. I do the same also but there are times when I will schedule things accoring to the signs. 200 years ago they were not Technology advanced as we are today. They had sun rise/ sun set and calendars that's it. They also didn't have the tools we have at our disposal today. So any advantage to aid in survival was taken whether it was perceived or reality. Maybe my view is skewed but I cannot disprove it. I have always been the one dehorning and working a couple hundred head of cows you can't always do it on the correct days and the old-timers helping on those days where the blood would not stop flowing would always say "I told you the signs were not right" I do know that the moon is a powerful sphere in the sky and if it can cause oceans to react and wildlife to react it surly has an effect on other things in life. They say people are not crazy on full moons but I know plenty that work in law and medical that will say different.
Sir Loin, I was always told to do all of your animal work below the waist. I cross referenced this in this year's almanac.
Wean – jan 2 Virgo belly, jan 6 Scorpio privates, 29th Virgo belly
Slaughter- jan 6,7 Scorpio-privates
Castrate- jan 12 Aquarius- legs jan 13 Aquarius- legs
Again I do believe the signs have an effect and if I can never prove or disprove I plan on passing this to the next generation just as it was passed to me.

TexasBred":24xpclw9 said:
M5farm":24xpclw9 said:
Signs were in Aries(head) . You have every right to believe what you want. A couple hundred years Farmers and Pioneers doing it by the signs can't be wrong. I can tell you from experience that working cows in the right sign makes a huge difference. Try dehorning a 100 head when its above the waist and you'll look like you've been in a slaughter house when your done. I am actually a roofing distribution and I would suggest you call a roofer. Do you call an electrician when your toilet won't flush?

That's the crazy thing about it that you can neither prove nor disprove. I can tell you from experience that the signs make absolutely no difference at all. Castrating, dehorning, cutting myself or anything else. But for those that believe in them "more power to them". No need to change anything.

TB, all I know is some days you have too much dirt to go back in the post hole and some days you aint got enough. My grandfather swore by the signs and he could tell which day you had enough dirt. I don't know one day to the next.

LRTX1":2xc3lfsb said:
TB, all I know is some days you have too much dirt to go back in the post hole and some days you aint got enough. My grandfather swore by the signs and he could tell which day you had enough dirt. I don't know one day to the next.

I suppose that could be something to do with the moon. ;-) What does any of it have to do with the signs of the zodiac. I've never had a cow, calf or bull bleed to death nor a calf starve or not grow out properly if not weaned according to the signs. But as I said...to each his own so if your way works by all means don't change it.

TexasBred":1u2z1ztc said:
LRTX1":1u2z1ztc said:

I suppose that could be something to do with the moon. ;-) What does any of it have to do with the signs of the zodiac. I've never had a cow, calf or bull bleed to death nor a calf starve or not grow out properly if not weaned according to the signs. But as I said...to each his own so if your way works by all means don't change it.

Dehorned hereford calves on the exact day my Grandfather told us not to (by the signs) and they bled for days.

The signs of the zodiac are assigned to the parts of the body. It's not horoscopes Astronomy is a science. Astrology is not.

TexasBred":107vlb74 said:
LRTX1":107vlb74 said:

You got to have more faith in a bunch of stars, TB! :lol2: :nod:

Not being a smart azz, but does anyone know of any scientific studies attempting to prove or disprove the signs?

Just some food for thought:
Could it be that the "signs" are what controls the natural breeding seasons/cycles for animals?. Say like deer and buffalo in the wild?
SL

All I can say Is, this is based on moon phase right. Well, anyone who is a hunter as am I, knows that Moon Phases really affect when and where the game moves. JMHO B&G

gravity-apple.gif

What happened to the post about the "post hole" sometimes holding more dirt...sometimes less. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

TB, I don't pay attention to the signs, my grandfather did. I thought the moon phases and the signs were related. I guess I was wrong. But he did know when you would have more dirt for the hole. Whether he based it on the signs, the moon, or how he felt at the moment, I don't know.

I think signs were important for a lot of folks back in the day. In todays day and age hardly anybody has time to wait on the signs.

LRTX1":33qf0ucy said:
TB, I don't pay attention to the signs, my grandfather did. I thought the moon phases and the signs were related. I guess I was wrong. But he did know when you would have more dirt for the hole. Whether he based it on the signs, the moon, or how he felt at the moment, I don't know.

I think signs were important for a lot of folks back in the day. In todays day and age hardly anybody has time to wait on the signs.
I jsut thought it sort of comical...when you put the post in a hole then you should always have excess dirt. Even if you put it back in with no post you can never get it repacked to the same density nor recover all the dirt unless you put it in a container. Sometimes my pants fit a bit tighter than at other times but it has nothing to do with the moon or the signs. ;-) Ok on to more important things. :lol:

3waycross":3jln7uu7 said:
TexasBred":3jln7uu7 said:
LRTX1":3jln7uu7 said:

Dehorned hereford calves on the exact day my Grandfather told us not to (by the signs) and they bled for days.

3way, my dad and I experienced the SAME thing, except we castrated a calf when the signs were wrong. My grandfather hollered at us profusely...LOL He proved his point as the calf bled and bled... I also believe the Almanac is correct on major and minor feeding times with wildlife...

Sir Loin":1lf0uwrd said:
Not being a smart azz, but does anyone know of any scientific studies attempting to prove or disprove the signs?

Could it be that the "signs" are what controls the natural breeding seasons/cycles for animals?. Say like deer and buffalo in the wild?
SL

Me deer friend tells me when he finds a doe in heat, he doesn't check the signs to see if the time is right.

backhoeboogie":1d86zbok said:
Sir Loin":1d86zbok said:

SL

Me deer friend tells me when he finds a doe in heat, he doesn't check the signs to see if the time is right.
hahahahaha....it probably is a bit more romantic in the light of a "full moon". ;-)

Latest posts