Farmer and rancher loans

Help Support CattleToday:

mlang0610":2odouvbx said:
I would get a job and save money. That's what I am doing. It's working great. I started 2 years ago and bought 5 200 pound angus steers for $2000. Grew them to 500lbs and sold them. Bought back more. And in 2.5 years I have 20 calves. 15K to buy more because I just sold some. The key thing I do is to keep my business finances and my home finances seperate. I don't sell calves to pay bills. At least not at this stage. Eventually when I am making a lot more per year. I can take out enough to pay off all my bills. And quit the job I have. It might take 5-10 years. But hey, I'm only 27. So if when I'm 35 I have my house and vehicles paid for. And am making 40-50K doing what I love. Sounds good to me.

My brother borrowed money from the bank to start his herd. Had a bad year and only a quarter of the cows got pregnant. Always had the bank loan hangin over his head. The part I don't like is that because of the interest. You have to make money just to break even. If you use money you saved up and something bad happens. You aren't out anything except some money.

Plus I think it's a lot of stress to always have that bank loan to worry about. And those 20K checks look a lot nicer when all the money is yours.

Great outlook and approach. You're headed down the right road! :tiphat:

I got a loan from the FSA. It enabled me to buy 10 feeder calves and 8 mama cows. It also enabled me to purchase a new squeeze chute, working pen, and grain bin. I got the loan for 1 perecent interest so there really is no incentive to pay it off early. The loan is based on a 5 year term which allows me to start making money on the business before I have to pay it off. It's working well so far and in four years I'll be debt free with a great herd built up. I work a 9-5 job and make good money doing that. I'm 32 and if everything goes to plan I should be able to retire at 50 and farm full time. I'm think the FSA loan program is a great idea as it allows farmers to borrow money for start up/operating expenses without getting taken to the cleaners on the interest rates. The difference between 1 and 5 percent would shock you!

KW

Latest posts