Farmer and rancher loans

Help Support CattleToday:

ZMT

Reaction score
is it best to go through the FSA ofice or a private bank? what about grants. i've done research just want some other ideas or thoughts! thanks!

I have had a couple FSA loans, and lots of bank loans, and if you have a good bank you know I would not think of trying to work with the FSA.

I might be wrong, but I thought I read earlier that you were in college. You might qualify for some kind of beginning farmer loan at the FSA. I would apply now, get the loan, then find gainful employment after college.

In my expierence with the FSA, you can be approved for months before you get the money, I don't know if that is common or not, but it can cause you some problems.

Bigfoot":207yx32l said:
I might be wrong, but I thought I read earlier that you were in college. You might qualify for some kind of beginning farmer loan at the FSA. I would apply now, get the loan, then find gainful employment after college.

No way
The new American way
Get a big loan, homestead it, file bankruptcy, vote democrat, get on every government program you can and sit in the shade and watch the ignorant people run the rat race while you live like a king.

It's almost close to impossible to acquire land unless you're rich or born into it otherwise your in debt till you die.

cross_7":gyegicdt said:
No way
The new American way
Get a big loan, homestead it, file bankruptcy, vote democrat, get on every government program you can and sit in the shade and watch the ignorant people run the rat race while you live like a king.
That's another part of why I don't take advantage of the "deals" the FSA offers, I don't care for the idea of government programs, so I don't feel right being apart of them.

ZMT":3nxvnvh2 said:
It's almost close to impossible to acquire land unless you're rich or born into it otherwise your in debt till you die.
I have started with cattle on my own over about the last 10 years, was not rich and not born into it, and I know how you feel I have been there a lot of times, I also know that land prices vary and it may cost more wherever you are, but I know for a fact it can still be done without being in debt till you die.

Yea i know with hard work, some luck, and lots of prayers it can be done. I think a guys best bet is to just build his herd as big as he can using leased pasture and working a job on the side and just saving as much as possible.

ZMT":umovidgo said:
Yea i know with hard work, some luck, and lots of prayers it can be done. I think a guys best bet is to just build his herd as big as he can using leased pasture and working a job on the side and just saving as much as possible.
That is about an ideal plan, as long as you can find the land to lease.

ZMT":huj252c4 said:

I'm going to disagree. Get a job. Live on less than you make. Put money in the bank every year. Buy cattle when you have the money and can afford them.

There are other ways to go at this cattle deal. I promise you.

Angus Cowman":27oshc4z said:
or you could start like I did and it has worked real well for me

Cattle Rustling
You ain't started back up in this area have you? Talked to a guy yesterday that was short 35 Holstein steers.

You might also consider a loan from your area Farm Credit Association (formerly Federal Land Bank/Production Credit Association's). I bought my first piece of ground with a Federal Land Bank loan nearly 20 years ago, and they've financed every bit of real estate we've bought since. They also do other ag loans besides real estate. They are not a government entity - they're all about agriculture (unlike practically any commercial bank), so they understand what you're trying to do. There are special programs for young and beginning farmers (some in cooperation with FSA). Around here, at least, commercial banks can't compete with the rates and terms Farm Credit offers. It's at least worth looking into.

Brute 23":2uwuqgk3 said:
ZMT":2uwuqgk3 said:

I'm going to disagree. Get a job. Live on less than you make. Put money in the bank every year. Buy cattle when you have the money and can afford them.

There are other ways to go at this cattle deal. I promise you.

Wisdom grasshopper.
People forget the devil dance's in empty pocket's.

Why should a young farmer be able to get loans that an old farmer can't?? Sure would be nice if the farm bill never gets pushed through.
The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

denvermartinfarms":3fw93elp said:
Angus Cowman":3fw93elp said:

Cattle Rustling
You ain't started back up in this area have you? Talked to a guy yesterday that was short 35 Holstein steers.
Naw and wouldn't have loaded steins anyway

Angus Cowman":3tuoj08h said:
denvermartinfarms":3tuoj08h said:
Angus Cowman":3tuoj08h said:

Cattle Rustling
Naw and wouldn't have loaded steins anyway
It was an easy job, Amish guy left them in a lot and went to a wedding, the boy that took them knew he was gonna be gone, and he is now in jail.

I would get a job and save money. That's what I am doing. It's working great. I started 2 years ago and bought 5 200 pound angus steers for $2000. Grew them to 500lbs and sold them. Bought back more. And in 2.5 years I have 20 calves. 15K to buy more because I just sold some. The key thing I do is to keep my business finances and my home finances seperate. I don't sell calves to pay bills. At least not at this stage. Eventually when I am making a lot more per year. I can take out enough to pay off all my bills. And quit the job I have. It might take 5-10 years. But hey, I'm only 27. So if when I'm 35 I have my house and vehicles paid for. And am making 40-50K doing what I love. Sounds good to me.

My brother borrowed money from the bank to start his herd. Had a bad year and only a quarter of the cows got pregnant. Always had the bank loan hangin over his head. The part I don't like is that because of the interest. You have to make money just to break even. If you use money you saved up and something bad happens. You aren't out anything except some money.

Plus I think it's a lot of stress to always have that bank loan to worry about. And those 20K checks look a lot nicer when all the money is yours.

Latest posts