Farmall Cub

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
I decided to use a spare small 12v battery in my 6v system on my cub... BIG MISTAKE.. it appears i have messed up the coil and magneto... i was using it to cut grass beside my house for half hour and it just died... guess should taken time to charge the 6v or bought a new one thats a $100.00 mistake i made.

We have converted a few old ford and masseys in the past. If you change you have to change everything, even the lights.
I see you are from Dinwidde. Any chance you know Tommy Nunnly who works for the Dept of Forestry?

yes, i am not gonna change everything... The name sounds familiar not sure why though. Does he work off of route 1 up here ?

You might pose your question on this site: http://www.farmallcub.com/. If you have a magneto the coil should be on it and not hooked to the power circuit at all. If you have a distributor then you may have burnt something up. Any way ask your question over there there are a lot of people with a lot of knowledge on that site.

Thanks everyone for your imput yes I do have a distributor and I will go there. I know it was a stupid move but.... happens...lol

You put a 12 volt battery on a tractor that requires a 6 volt? :???:

First off, the 6 volt generator won't carge it.

But you can use the 12 volt battery and not change anything (after you replace the burnt out coil and condenser that is under the distributer rotor) All you have to do is wire in a 6 volt voltage regulator. Then you can continue to use all the lights 6 volt coil etc. However you still don't have your charging situation fixed, you will need to replace your 6 volt generator to a 12 volt, or put in a 12 volt alternator.

One thing for sure, the 12 volt battery will sure spin the 6 volt starter nicely. :clap: That's the one item you can keep and run on 12 volts without causing it any dammage.

I have a cub that when it was purchased it had already been partially converted to 12 volts. It had the 12 volt alternator, but the the 6 volt voltage regulator wired into the alternator, and the rest of the system was then still 6 volt. I went 100% 12, (except the starter) I just love the 12 volt 55watt halogen lights I installed into the factory light fixtures. That tractor has light after dark now! Playing around with electrical stuff is sort of a hoby of mine, and on this tractor I even took the time to run the wires inside of a cloth loom, and there is now a blade type fuse pannel and even relays for the lights hidden up under the hood.

DSCF0001_001_006.jpg

Thanks man that tractor is beautiful... I think I will keep it 6 volt for a while just replace crap i burnt up. I appreciate all your help and info you gave me as well as everyone else. :banana:

Todd, that is a beautiful tractor. IMO - there is no better tractor for gardening than a Farmall. Maybe one day I'll be able to join ya'lls club. Till then, I'll just sit on the sidelines and marvel at those pieces of art.

Thanks, I feel really fortunate to have this tractor.

This mower come with a belly finnishing mower. I use it for mowing in the spring prior to stringing up electric fence. It's a nice tractor for mowing the cow lots because you can raise the belly mower up a foot or so and mow up high, then drop the mower down low to mow at lawn hight.

Also I have a push blade for the tractor, and this last year when we had a house built, I've gotten quiet a bit of use out of the blade landscaping the yard. For the weight of the tractor, it does supprisingly well pushing around gravel and dirt. Can't wait untill we get some measurable snow so I can see how well the tractor does in the snow. LOL