Farm Use placard needed in Virginia 7/1/24

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score

Looks like Farm trailers will not need a placard, but will be required for unregistered farm use panel trucks, pickup trucks and sport utility vehicles:

Looks like Farm trailers will not need a placard, but will be required for unregistered farm use panel trucks, pickup trucks and sport utility vehicles:
Got mine for my 1994 Toyota a few weeks ago. They told me to use the old Farm Use on my Dodge.
They also told me i need a perminate tag on my cattle trailer.

Got mine for my 1994 Toyota a few weeks ago. They told me to use the old Farm Use on my Dodge.
They also told me I need a permanate tag on my cattle trailer.
I am confused. Last year attended my local insurance companies annual get together and the guy spoke you need an official placard (farm use tag) on all your trailers, trucks, everything. At the time seemed nobody was sure even the speaker.

I read the requirements my local Farm agent sent me and also looked it up online and it says this. My trailers still have the certificate of origin so they are not registered. A lot of vehicles on the road with farm tags running around as daily use vehicles as I can see the need to register, pay the taxes and get insurance.

Conditions
A DMV-issued permanent farm use placard will not be required for the following categories of unregistered farm use vehicles:

1. Farm vehicles having a gross vehicle weight rating greater than 7,500 pounds
2. Farm trailers and semitrailers

They also told me i need a perminate tag on my cattle trailer.
That don't make sense you can run a farm tag on your truck but need a perminate tag on the trailer. To me it ought to be the other way around.

A lot of tractors and buggies up and down the road everyday used as daily drivers do they need a placard? I saw a Deutz tractor go by the other day and that thing was moving. I looked it up and it will go 37 mph without tinkering with and should get at least 5 more mph with a little tinkering.

Last edited:
That don't make sense you can run a farm tag on your truck but need a perminate tag on the trailer. To me it ought to be the other way around.

A lot of tractors and buggies up and down the road everyday used as daily drivers do they need a placard? I saw a Deutz tractor go by the other day and that thing was moving. I looked it up and it will go 37 mph without tinkering with and should get at least 5 more mph with a little tinkering.
I know the Deutz tractor your referring to. He actually drove it and a 32ft gooseneck flatbed trailer from southwestern Illinois. Near the Missouri border. 636 miles i think he told me.
Wonder if they will make him tag his trailer. Or the other Amish that haul cattle to market in trailers hooked behind their tractors.

I am confused. Last year attended my local insurance companies annual get together and the guy spoke you need an official placard (farm use tag) on all your trailers, trucks, everything. At the time seemed nobody was sure even the speaker.

I read the requirements my local Farm agent sent me and also looked it up online and it says this. My trailers still have the certificate of origin so they are not registered. A lot of vehicles on the road with farm tags running around as daily use vehicles as I can see the need to register, pay the taxes and get insurance.

Conditions
A DMV-issued permanent farm use placard will not be required for the following categories of unregistered farm use vehicles:

1. Farm vehicles having a gross vehicle weight rating greater than 7,500 pounds
2. Farm trailers and semitrailers
Im not sure if i needed the tag or not but got the perminate tag anyway. I was very confused. Also the DMV said i dont need a yearly inspection sticker but the guy at the inspection station said that state police told him yes it was needed. DMV even published some info on it and i was even more confused.
I have a F350 with F tags. Still is registered and pay tax. Only advantage to a F tag i can see is it cost less per year. But in the DMV publication it says there are restrictions but doesn't say what those are. I drove it to SC to look at a bull so guess i need to find out what the restrictions are.

I know the Deutz tractor your referring to. He actually drove it and a 32ft gooseneck flatbed trailer from southwestern Illinois. Near the Missouri border. 636 miles i think he told me.
Wonder if they will make him tag his trailer. Or the other Amish that haul cattle to market in trailers hooked behind their tractors.
That Deutz is a nice tractor as they sell them at Abingdon Equipment. The engine is rated at minimum 20,000 hours and should get 30,000 hours.

From their info......

Deutz engines are available in the power range of 5 to 500 kW, with air, oil or water cooling and with life expectancy of 20,000 to 30,000 running hours. TTV continuously variable transmission combines the efficiency and durability of a mechanical driveline with the infinite speeds of a hydrostatic driveline. The engine and transmission work together for efficient, productive operation. Infinite, precise speeds from (0.12 – 37 mph) 0.2–60 kph.

I'm confused, they should have kept it as is. I've noticed far less people sporting farm use tags on cars, visiting convenience stores etc.
Here people that have never farmed used the farm use to not have to pay to register the vehicle or pay tax on it. Almost none had insurance either. I hope they catch them all.

Latest posts