Farm Tank w/ Old Gas ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I have a remote farm site with above ground tanks that have not been used enough. The gasoline is 3 years old. I have been using it in a carbureted loader tractor. When I tried to use it last fall I had starting and power issues. Is blending it with 91 octane and then burning it in a pick up a good approach?

Stocker Steve":11blcocs said:
I have a remote farm site with above ground tanks that have not been used enough. The gasoline is 3 years old. I have been using it in a carbureted loader tractor. When I tried to use it last fall I had starting and power issues. Is blending it with 91 octane and then burning it in a pick up a good approach?

Old gas since they started using alot of ethanol is crap if it were me I wouldn't put it in anything with a motor but use it to start fires burning brush or trash piles

Don't use gasoline to start fires. There is no way to pencil out the risk reward ratio on that one. Diesel is too cheap and burn wards are two expensive. I didn't think it would happen to me. I started fires with gas for years following my father's lead. It worked fine until it didn't. The amount of gas that I blew myself up with was half a dixie cup. Long story. 7 weeks in the burn ward. 44% total body surface burn. While I was still in the hospital, a friend got a minor burn doing the same thing. We are all convinced we're smart enough to get away with it until we are laying in a hospital bed thinking "well that was stupid" I was 20. Normalization of deviance played a role. Distance from a trauma center was in my favor that day. Access to Brooke Army Medical was also a plus.

If you ever find yourself on fire, don't breathe in. Remembering that saved my life.

RayfromTX":yd9yo61h said:
Don't use gasoline to start fires. There is no way to pencil out the risk reward ratio on that one. Diesel is too cheap and burn wards are two expensive. I didn't think it would happen to me. I started fires with gas for years following my father's lead. It worked fine until it didn't. The amount of gas that I blew myself up with was half a dixie cup. Long story. 7 weeks in the burn ward. 44% total body surface burn. While I was still in the hospital, a friend got a minor burn doing the same thing. We are all convinced we're smart enough to get away with it until we are laying in a hospital bed thinking "well that was stupid" I was 20. Normalization of deviance played a role. Distance from a trauma center was in my favor that day. Access to Brooke Army Medical was also a plus.

My guess is you were standing downwind of the vapors?

I'd suggest make it real easy for some low life sneak thief to have access to it. Then you can catch them down the road a ways. Might break them of their habits. :clap:

Some engines are much more intolerant of lousy fuel than others.. Adding some acetone to it helps a little.. I'd probably burn it with a 50/50 mix of non ethanol fuel in something that'll run alright with it

Aaron":mv16ecl6 said:
RayfromTX":mv16ecl6 said:

Still afternoon, barrel enclosure shaped the flame front towards me. The first sensation was a cool mist as the fuel sought oxygen. The vapor was pushed outward from the ignition, coated my shirtless skin and then found the oxygen it needed. God put a man that I disliked rather thoroughly in my life who told me a story about working in a foundry. He told me if I ever found myself surrounded by flame to remember not to breathe because the resultant lung damage would make it impossible to recover from the burns. Two hours later I found myself in that situation. I've never heard a story or a warning like that before or since. I only heard it when I needed it. God taught me that day that I should listen to everyone, even those that I dislike because I never know when he may be speaking through them. There is far more to the story that that but I'm really going to stop right there and let this get back on topic. Never use explosive liquids to start a fire. I use waste oil and a propane torch these days. That's about as cheap as it gets short of paper which won't work in the burn conditions that I prefer. As to the old gas? Waste management.

RayfromTX":1uwz9749 said:
Aaron":1uwz9749 said:
RayfromTX":1uwz9749 said:

Still afternoon, barrel enclosure shaped the flame front towards me. The first sensation was a cool mist as the fuel sought oxygen. The vapor was pushed outward from the ignition, coated my shirtless skin and then found the oxygen it needed. God put a man that I disliked rather thoroughly in my life who told me a story about working in a foundry. He told me if I ever found myself surrounded by flame to remember not to breathe because the resultant lung damage would make it impossible to recover from the burns. Two hours later I found myself in that situation. I've never heard a story or a warning like that before or since. I only heard it when I needed it. God taught me that day that I should listen to everyone, even those that I dislike because I never know when he may be speaking through them. There is far more to the story that that but I'm really going to stop right there and let this get back on topic. Never use explosive liquids to start a fire. I use waste oil and a propane torch these days. That's about as cheap as it gets short of paper which won't work in the burn conditions that I prefer. As to the old gas? Waste management.

You were burning with gas in an enclosure. That is never smart - everyone should know that.

I thought you were referring to burning brush piles in a open air situation, which I have used gas multiple times. Provided you move the gas container sufficient distance downwind before you ignite; and ignite from a distance by tossing something flammable (hay/straw/paper) on the gas soaked fuel.

You basically broke every rule in the burn book and that doesn't end well.

Yes, burning with tiger torch and oil is much safer, but it can be done with gas with extra precaution.

Sure it can but why? How many trash barrels are started with gas every day? How many barbecue grills? I was starting charcoal. My friend was starting a brush fire. I wouldn't start a charcoal fire with oil, that's what starter fluid is for. I started literally a hundred charcoal fires with gas before this happened. Using extra precaution means not using an explosive liquid.

Oh yeah I just remembered my good friend in high school. I only knew him because his family had to move to town after he burned his family's ranch house down when he used gas instead of diesel to start a fire in their fireplace. He thought it would be faster. He was 16. They lost everything.

Aaron":2fjpnkuj said:
RayfromTX":2fjpnkuj said:
he used gas instead of diesel to start a fire in their fireplace.

Either is so stupid, it's funny. :lol: :lol: :lol:

:shock: I'm at a loss here. I guess y'all don't take the newspaper? It starts good fires

Dumping hydrocarbons on the ground would be a good way to end up drinking them later.

I am strongly against starting a fire with gas, it is highly explosive. For using to light fires, drip torch recipe is 1 part gas/2 parts diesel. Won't explode on you. I wouldn't pour gas on a fire ant bed either but would pour it down the hole of ground dwelling yellow jackets nest.

Latest posts