Farm tags out of state?

Help Support CattleToday:

SSS Angus

Reaction score
Here is the Scenari:

I live in Texas and Purchased a baler in Tennesse, I intend to go pick up the baler myself but have a few questions. I will be in a Dodge 2500 with a GVW of 9K lbs. and pulling a gooseneck flatbed with a GVW of 14K lbs. My combined GVW will be under the 26K limit at which Texas requires a CDL. I don't have a CDL as I have never need one. I will be traveling through Arkansas and Tennessee to get the baler and Im unsure of how I will be treated my the local troopers on my way through. The truck has farm tags on it but the trailer will not. This is a borrowed trailer which is why it doesn't have farm tags.

Now befor everyone chimes in with the "Your supposed to stay within a 150mi. of the farm" I know this. I have never had a problem with this in Texas even being 400mi. away from the farm, Im just unsure how other states will view this. I will be picking up the baler for my own persoanl use, I WILL NOT be a "for hire" driver. I will be within legal height and width restriction as to not require any permits.

I have tried to get in contact with both the Arkansas and Tennesse State police but I keep getting a run around. Everyone I speak with in both states tell me that they don't make the rules and regualtion so they then give me another number to call which gives me another number to call and so on. I figured maybe I could get some insight on my issue from fellow members of this site being that I seem to get the run around when I call the state police in these states. If you have any insight on this issue please post up.

THANKS... :lol:

SSS Angus":366qc1hn said:
dun":366qc1hn said:
How about contacting the state DOT fior those states?

I have, to which they gave me another number to call. I was told that they don't make the rules and regualtion.

If DOT doesn;t, who does?

Use this here computer thing to look up the DOT in those states - there is usually a place on those pages where you can send a question and they tend to answer more quickly and thoroughly than on the phone (gives 'em time to do research). MY understanding is this - if you are legal in your home state - you would be legal in theirs, however, I have heard recently that some of my associates have been closely scrutinized when dragging trailers into neighboring states, especially Virginia.
I would be really concerned about driving the truck that farm from home with farm tags on it - might want to check with your insurance agent - they could probably get you an answer really fast. You'd also want to know if you were covered that far from home as I am guessing that your insurance is based on the type of registration the vehicle carries (i.e. commercial, agricultural, personal, etc.).

you should be ok with farm taggs on your truck going to get the baler.where they get sticky is when you hire out an you have farm taggs an go out of state.id call your local DPS an see what they say.

SSS Angus":on4p0sum said:
Here is the Scenari:

I live in Texas and Purchased a baler in Tennesse, I intend to go pick up the baler myself but have a few questions. I will be in a Dodge 2500 with a GVW of 9K lbs. and pulling a gooseneck flatbed with a GVW of 14K lbs. My combined GVW will be under the 26K limit at which Texas requires a CDL. I don't have a CDL as I have never need one. I will be traveling through Arkansas and Tennessee to get the baler and Im unsure of how I will be treated my the local troopers on my way through. The truck has farm tags on it but the trailer will not. This is a borrowed trailer which is why it doesn't have farm tags.

Now befor everyone chimes in with the "Your supposed to stay within a 150mi. of the farm" I know this. I have never had a problem with this in Texas even being 400mi. away from the farm, Im just unsure how other states will view this. I will be picking up the baler for my own persoanl use, I WILL NOT be a "for hire" driver. I will be within legal height and width restriction as to not require any permits.

I have tried to get in contact with both the Arkansas and Tennesse State police but I keep getting a run around. Everyone I speak with in both states tell me that they don't make the rules and regualtion so they then give me another number to call which gives me another number to call and so on. I figured maybe I could get some insight on my issue from fellow members of this site being that I seem to get the run around when I call the state police in these states. If you have any insight on this issue please post up.

THANKS... :lol:

If you have a newer Road Atlas. Weigh stations should be listed and some have phone numbers listed. Call the weigh station they will advise you. If you are traveling Interstate 40 there is a set both directions Brownsville TN. Can't help you in Clinton land.

Pickups pulling a trailer don't have to stop at weigh stations in Arkansas.
They seem to be very farmer fair here as well.

Bullbuyer":3bobdvz9 said:
Use this here computer thing to look up the DOT in those states - there is usually a place on those pages where you can send a question and they tend to answer more quickly and thoroughly than on the phone (gives 'em time to do research). MY understanding is this - if you are legal in your home state - you would be legal in theirs, however, I have heard recently that some of my associates have been closely scrutinized when dragging trailers into neighboring states, especially Virginia.
I would be really concerned about driving the truck that farm from home with farm tags on it - might want to check with your insurance agent - they could probably get you an answer really fast. You'd also want to know if you were covered that far from home as I am guessing that your insurance is based on the type of registration the vehicle carries (i.e. commercial, agricultural, personal, etc.).

I hear you on that. If it's fun, fast or feels good, it's illegal in Virginia!

Here we have "FARM USE" tags that are good for a 50 mile radius and farm vehicle ("Fxx-xxx") tags that are good anywhere as long as it's farm related. I've traveled the better half of the country with those tags.

As bullbiter states, I'd be more concerned with insurance than licensing. Tickets are cheap when one considers the consequences of getting into an accident with no insurance.

You should be good to go in Arkansas, You won't have to stop at weight stations with your rig. Tennesse use to be pretty much the same. I wouldn"t worry about it.

SSS Angus":22x4kc4w said:
The truck has farm tags on it but the trailer will not. This is a borrowed trailer which is why it doesn't have farm tags.

So long as the trailer has a legal tag, I wouldn't think it would make a difference what state you travel through. Your GVW is below the limit for a CDL in your home state, and that should be the determining factor as I understand it.

I think msscamp is correct. If you are legally licensed to drive and your registration and insurance is current, Your good to go. Good luck, have a safe trip. Tom :cboy:

I am not sure about the tags but I would thing thay are only good for 150 miles from the farm. However, you will need a federal DOT number. Federal law is any rig with combined GVW rating over 10,000 pounds must have a Fed. DOT number. And with the DOT number you need some $800,000 in insurance and a health card.

I would just go get it and not worry about it. I bet you won't even get a second look. Back in Nov. with my F350 I pulled a 30 ft. goose-neck with 9 tons of hay on it from Valparaiso In. to Springfield Tn. (about 430 miles) and the troopers just ignored me.

As tncattle state go get it. If you ask question you will raise awareness. Forgiveness is easier that permission on thing like this. You know farm and oil field equipment you to can move 7, 24 and over width.

alabama":34bdwt3m said:
I am not sure about the tags but I would thing thay are only good for 150 miles from the farm. However, you will need a federal DOT number. Federal law is any rig with combined GVW rating over 10,000 pounds must have a Fed. DOT number. And with the DOT number you need some $800,000 in insurance and a health card.
Here is a link to the FMCSA they have a step by step registration guide to help you understand what you will need and what you don't need as far as a US dot number goes. http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration-l ... iption.htm

The FMCSA is doing a very good job of making information available via the web. I remember when I first applied for my MC operating authority. I spent days on the phone faxing things back and forth only to find out I asked the wrong question. Now they have made things so simple. I must compliment them on the job they have done.

Well, needless to say I drove 1600mi. for a baler that was grossly misrepresented. I came home empty handed and didn't catch any flak during the trip so now I just have to find another baler that will hopefully be closer. :x

Latest posts