Farm Machinery Show

Help Support CattleToday:

Bullbuyer

Reaction score
Just wondering how many people had planned on attending the Farm Machinery show in Louisville in February? I have attended in the past and it really is an interesting, worthwhile trip. Thought maybe some of us could get together and swap a joke or two if we happen to be there on the same day, might even get newly elected Pres. Crowder to spring for a cup of coffee.
Anyways - something to think about and maybe put on your calendar.

Never been. Do they have much related to cattle or is it mostly crops? By the way, did you go to the Hokie Harvest sale?

cfpinz

Last time I went they had a fair amount of cattle equipment - when the website gets updated it will have a vendors list on it. We missed the Hokie sell - too many irons in the fire. I haven't been able to find a report or anyone that went to know how it turned out. I did see that they had a record attendance.

MikeC":2tahme6m said:
What's a "Hokie"?

VA Tech's mascot is a "Hokie", but it just looks like a big ugly orange turkey to me. I was thinking it might be a term for a steer turkey? :lol:

cfpinz

Bullbuyer and all

I'm 45 minutes from the site of that show. Never miss it. There is an ever increasing amount of cattle equipment there. Exhibitors of all kinds of farm stuff from every corner of the globe. And a tractor pull (I'm not a huge fan so I've never been to the pull).

But the North American Livestock Expo opens this weekend and has an equal selection of cattle equipment though it lacks the huge tractors and combines. They do have lots of cowboy hat and Carhart vendors, so you might have a chance to get the wife or girlfriend that set of chaps. :lol: And the rodeo is next Thursday-Sat.

cfpinz":37riowiu said:
Is it all inside? How hard is it to find a motel?

cfpinz

It's all inside the exhibition hall - the place is HUGE! If I go - I'll probably drive back towards Lexington and stay in that area. I wouldn't think that it would be too difficult to find a place that was reasonably priced. The expo center is literally right off the interstate so once you leave you're right back on the road.

MikeC":3oly134p said:
What's a "Hokie"?

According to the school handbook, the Hokies name originated in the 1890s. In 1896 the team was in need of increased spirit and attendance. A competition was held for a spirit cheer and O.M. Stull, a member of the Class of 1896, invented the word "Hokie" as part of the winning cheer, now known as the Old Hokie. "Hokie" was a nonsensical word used as an attention-getter in the cheer. Stull received a $5 prize. Around 1908, Tech students began referring to student athletes as "Gobblers" because of the way they "gobbled" up ample servings of food at the dining halls. In 1913, a local boy serving as a clown mascot had a large turkey pull him in a cart at football games. From then on, fans and sportswriters associated the gobbler with Tech's athletic teams, and for many years the school's official name for its sports teams was the Fighting Gobblers; though the term Hokies was widely used, the official designation was only changed in the mid-1980s by then-football coach and athletic director Bill Dooley. A costumed Gobbler mascot (now the Hokie Bird) was introduced during games in 1962, and has been a symbol of school spirit ever since.

Found this on the net - bet that was a pretty good sized turkey to pull a guy in a cart! Wonder what his birth weight was?

If you go and you see a young-ish guy pointing at all the big equipment going "Wow! I need that! What the **** does it do?!?!!" come say Hi.

:lol:

Bullbuyer, when you get the particulars on the show would you mind postin' them. Sounds like a good trip for me and the mis's and I'd kinda like to see that part of the country.

Latest posts