Farm insurance

Help Support CattleToday:

rnh1

Reaction score
Is there affordable farm liability and cow mortality insurance other than farm bureau?

rnh1":1xuqnh7v said:
Is there affordable farm liability and cow mortality insurance other than farm bureau?

Yes, you may find that Farm Bureau is not all that affordable when you compare to other companies. Evaluate your mortality insurance closely before you commit. Lots of people will tell you it's not worth having.

Anyone use American National insurance? We switched our commercial and personal auto insurance to them and the rates are good. Been trying to get away from Progressive for years, the company's liberal left wing leader is bad for this country.

Is Farm Bureau really an insurance company? I've talked to several in the past two years who thought they were insured with Farm Bureau only to have their claims denied or only paid at a small fraction of the damages and only after a lot of legal haggling. Glad I dropped them years ago after they tried to put one over on me in their erroneous risk assessment. Having a fire hydrant fifty feet from your property does not make it a fire risk. They do have some spectacular offices though. Opulence and excess at its best.

We had Farm Bureau when we first moved to MO, after getting jerked around with premiums we switched to american national. They used to have great farm policys, then they jacked the premiums about triple one year. Now we're with a small independent, great premiums and coverage and great service when it comes to claims.

They tried to jack my premium too. Said I was a high risk for fire. I asked why. They fumbled around a bit then showed me their evaluation paperwork. It said I was so far from a fire hydrant and a fire station they had no choice but to jack it up. About triple. Fire hydrant is 50 foot from house and fire station was only 2 miles away. Maybe they wanted me to put a hydrant in the kitchen. My dog would love that!

Friends cows got on road after a tree fell on his five strand fence. They refused to pay the claim when a woman hit the cows in the road. Said his fence wasn't in good shape. Who'd have thought a tree falling on the fence would have messed his fence up?

Talking to a lady last week who is really upset. Adjuster came out and looked at water damage to her home and said it was because her home was built on top of a spring and they cut her a small check that would only pay for a fraction of the damages and if she cashed it she would be accepting their settlement and would have no recourse. Carpenter found the problem was a break in the plumbing and nearly half the flooring and some walls will need to be tore out and replaced. She is on a fixed income and couldn't pay to have her home repaired but wasn't about to accept the settlement and cannot get the adjuster to come back and see what the real problem is. Known the family a long time so I helped them out till they could get some justice out of Farm Bureau. She was sick. She has paid Farm Bureau for years and this is her first claim and they are rail roading her.

I know another man who has been battling in court with them now for nearly three years after one of their customers fires destroyed several thousand dollars worth of his property. Farm Bureau says they don't have to pay since the State had permitted the burn and the landowner is not responsible for damages his fire did when it got out so they were not going to pay. He77, I got a driver's license and if I smash up someone's property I expect my insurance to pay but I guess with farm bureau things are different. They do have beautiful big buildings though. I'll give them that.

Farm Bureau has been good for us so far. They can't compete with American National on our auto insurance, in price or coverage. But Farm Bureau is still the lowest on our Home owners policy. Hopefully they'll pay out if we ever need it.

I've had FB on my home and farm for years. any claim I've ever made on the home was paid within 48 hours. At the time I signed with them there was no one else that would write a farm policy locally. I'm sure that has changed now but have had no reason to change at this point.

FB will not even write me a farm policy because I had my auto with someone else because of cost. I said screw it and pulled everything from them. I've also watched the way the lobby in our state government, completely against the small farmer in most cases.

M-5":2bq32mvo said:
I've had FB on my home and farm for years. any claim I've ever made on the home was paid within 48 hours. At the time I signed with them there was no one else that would write a farm policy locally. I'm sure that has changed now but have had no reason to change at this point.

FB is probably just scared to mess you over for fear of ALL your personas ganging up and mobbing them. ;-)

I don't like how they lobby either or some of the other things they do that is contrary to their purpose. I'm scared to do business with them after hearing all the people complain about them not paying claims properly but this may be a regional thing.

I think the best thing anyone can do is if you are looking for car insurance you need to go to the guy who will be fixing your vehicle and ask them who does right and who doesn't. That's what I did and the fella gave me several to choose from and told me who not to mess with.

I think it depends on the agent in most places. I had everything with them at one time when I had 3 teen age drivers and a couple of wrecks later I was canceled. I even got sued on one of them and even though I didn't have auto with them anymore they fought for me just the same. The last few years they have tried to get me to come back on auto but they are higher Priced. Our FB is at every FFA function in the county and does a lot of donations to the youth and 4H programs, again I reiterate the agent is what makes the difference. Cast about 30 buck a year to be a member and You get some discounts along with that. I have used the 500.00 rebate on dodge truck a couple of times over the years.

I agree with what M-5 said about the agent. We had a great agent for several years and were taken care of very well. The best part of our FB is the Administrative Assistant. She runs that place like a well oiled machine and keeps everyone on point. I can call her and she will have it all taken care of before I make the drive to town.

My family has had Farm Bureau Insurance for as far back as I can remember. We have never had problems with them paying a claim. Replaced our roof several years ago from hail damage. Lightning has struck appliances from time to time and they paid for those. I cannot complain.

It may have a lot to do with the agents. Our best two have retired now so I may find a big difference with the next claim. I had not thought about that until I reread some posts.

Jogeephus":16x7vtep said:
M-5":16x7vtep said:

FB is probably just scared to mess you over for fear of ALL your personas ganging up and mobbing them. ;-)

I don't like how they lobby either or some of the other things they do that is contrary to their purpose. I'm scared to do business with them after hearing all the people complain about them not paying claims properly but this may be a regional thing.

I think the best thing anyone can do is if you are looking for car insurance you need to go to the guy who will be fixing your vehicle and ask them who does right and who doesn't. That's what I did and the fella gave me several to choose from and told me who not to mess with.

Maybe a state thing because my experiences with Farm Bureau has been good....been over 20 years ago I had a "small" kitchen fire. They came out and processed the claim for new cabinets, carpet and paint in the front of the house. Told me to bring them an estimate from the contractor I wanted to do the work and they gave me the number of a company to come out and clean the carpet and walls in the back of the house. When I took them the estimate I told them walls were still smutty and the carpet smelled. They told me to put in new carpet, paint the walls and bring them the bills. 6 years later had a hail storm come through and they put on a new roof.

That's the way an insurance company should work. Have a relative that works for them and this person said they got in bad shape when the economy tanked. Said they had a lot of house fires they had to pay for. Just speculating but I wonder if this doesn't have something to do with it.

Latest posts