farm four-wheelers

Help Support CattleToday:

Miss Daisy

Reaction score
as these are becoming increasingly popular, i know a fella whose looking to buy one. it needs to start every day of the year and be able to stand a fair beating. will mostly be used for irrigating, maybe moving cows here and there... basically a good all-around ride. what do you folks recommend?

Beefy":3vi4xut3 said:
i have a 91 Honda 300 fourtrax.

Had one of these too. Very dependable. A friend of mine talked me out of it by waving cash in my face - almost half what I paid for it 7 years earlier. He still got it and its running fine.

I have a Yamaha Kodiak 4x4 had it 4 years no problem it has 1740 hour. We use it to spot spray, what ever and grand daughter keeps it pretty busy.

I have a 450 02model honda forman and could not list all the things it's used for. But mostly used for feedin and checking cattle and fence work.

Cal

Miss Daisy":1fepxjxp said:
as these are becoming increasingly popular, i know a fella whose looking to buy one. it needs to start every day of the year and be able to stand a fair beating. will mostly be used for irrigating, maybe moving cows here and there... basically a good all-around ride. what do you folks recommend?
i thought they had always been popular.ive had 3 an 4 wheelers for close to 30 years.an i sure wouldnt be without a 4 wheeler.ive got a 500 honda rubicon auto 4x4.an its a great 4 wheeler.

The old Polaris was hard to beat- we bought a new one a couple years ago and its disappointing.

The 2 biggest problems with tradtional 4 wheelers has to do with age. Arthrits so can;t run the tumb throttle, but that doesn;t matter since I can;t swing a leg over them anyway. That's why the side by side utilitys with a foot feed are so handy

Arctic Cats can take a beating have one and it gets the **** beat out of it. Also jsut got a new Roketa its honda or yamaha's off brand. Got it in Febuary adn it looks liek **** already cause it has been rolled once and had sevarl cows beat it up. They are made out of plastic adn break really easily i wouldn't get another one plus it is constant 4 wheel drive soit rolls easily and it doesn't have much power and the spedometer is in kilometers and it only goes 60km down the road and when we first got it, it went 70km so it is getting weaker. Spend the money and get a name brand. there was a reason it was half the price of the name brand.

Get a Honda plain and simple, stay away from the polaris, they are a nightmare, they do not hold up in manure at all, and go thru spark plugs like crazy.

I have a Honda Foreman 500, great machine. Get a 4WD also, you won't regret that either.

GMN

I got a kawasaki prairie 360 2wd and it aint never been stuck yet. I like it real well. TORQY as all get out. Dad flipped it and it still runs. The handle bars are a little bent but it is no worse for wear.

01 prairie 300 4x4. never missed a beat or bought a part besides oil filters...4000 bucks new...btw its got 1800 mi on it

Have a Honda Rancher. Love it. I personally think the Foreman is more machine than is necessary. Still get a 4WD. I have a friend that has a Honda Rincon and it is pretty cool with its independent suspension, but again, not necessary.

Brute 23":3kyblvbm said:
Yes Sir, :clap: Kawasaki Mule
We've got a 3010 Mule and the only thing I've ever had to do besides routine maintainance is Spark Plugs and an Air Filter. It's got 575 hours on it and aint never missed a lick.

I've got an '82 yamaha with a 250? It is a big bike with a little motor by today's standards. It will pull a trailer with brush and get in tight spots. It pulls the spray rig just fine too. It hasn't been fired off in over a year now. I once used it a lot but since I have cleared so much brush now, it doesn't get used as much.

GMN":29ybqqv8 said:
Get a Honda plain and simple, stay away from the polaris, they are a nightmare, they do not hold up in manure at all, and go thru spark plugs like crazy.

I have a Honda Foreman 500, great machine. Get a 4WD also, you won't regret that either.

GMN

I just bought a polaris 400 HO. It is one of the best quads that I have ever drove and it is really tough. It goes through h3ll and back and still runs like it did when it was new. I also own a suzuki 300 King Quad which I got in 1998. The only problem I had with it is the front U joint other wise I haven't touched it and its got over 30,000 km on it already.

turns out he settled on a yamaha grizzly 450 with independant suspension... easier on his back. that and the fact that its camo is what i think made the sale :roll: Anyway, i think they're very pleased with the new ride and hopefully will save some gas just runnin around the farm. i guess the diesel gator will have to wait until next year ;-)