Farm Accident

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
I thought I had posted about this but hadn't.. anyhow this happened in my county and some of us local folks are going to donate square bales to her family for her horse.

http://wtvr.com/2016/05/12/katy-daniel-accident/

DINWIDDIE COUNTY, Va. -- People from all over Central Virginia are rallying around a young woman seriously injured in a freak accident in Dinwiddie County.

Katy Daniel is facing years of surgeries after a farming accident tore her scalp from her head on Mother's Day.

In the days following the 20-year-old's ponytail becoming snagged in a piece of equipment, the #KatyStrong hashtag is lighting up social media.

"Everybody's got to have their head up right now," Kyle Daniel said. "That way Katy will have her head up. She can't see us down, she might get down."

"It's just like, mind blowing how many people are there supporting her," Taylor Daniel, Katy's twin sister, said. "She's the sweetheart."

Kyle Daniel said his sister has a "very long road and tough road" ahead.

"There will be many, many procedures, but she's going to be alright. She's strong. She's Katy strong," Daniel said.

In addition to the numerous social media posts, community members are rallying by selling t-shirts and holding events to support the family.

Rebecca Cairns, who worked with Katy, is planning a fundraiser at the Fatz BBQ & Grill in June.

She described her friend as very outgoing and funny.

Jessica Newsom is now ordering more #KatyStrong t-shirts.

"Well we ordered 50 and they're all sold out," Newsom said.

Along with the t-shirts, 1,000 #KatyStrong wrist bands are also on order.

And in the four days since the accident, softball, fishing and corn hole tournaments are being planned. There is also a concert in the works. And a fund to help pay for Kathy's medical bills had raised nearly $12,000 as of Thursday at 9 p.m.

All of the money raised from the various initiatives will help pay for the years of surgeries and treatments Katy must endure.

But while the donations are welcome, the family said they are not their main priority.

"It's not about giving anything," Kyle Daniel, Katy's brother, said. "It's all about saying a prayer. Prayer is stronger than anything you can give."

Katy was putting in a fence for her horse when the accident happened.

A local contractor and some friends will return to the accident scene to complete the project Saturday.

Jogeephus":3b5akvrg said:
That's bad. Glad you can others are helping her.

Yea is a bad deal for sure.. I hope she comes out of this with a great attitude and makes the best out of the time she has left.

That is terrible! Accidents can happen so fast. Wonderful to hear how others are supporting her.

When I was a teenager I worked for a custom hay outfit. Got a phone call one day to stop what I was doing and go over to a gentleman's house who I knew (small town) but who wasn't a customer. Boss told me to finish tedding and bale the field because rain was moving in. He had gotten off of his tractor for some reason and didn't shut the PTO off. Got caught in the tedder and it mangled his leg pretty badly. He made a full recovery luckily. It was very eerie moving his tractor and tedder out of the field especially not knowing how bad the situation really was. I make it a habit now to NEVER get around an attachment with the PTO on if at all possible. By the way I was working on the boss's field when he told me to drop everything and we never charged the gentleman a thing. Just good folks trying to take care of good folks.

My great-uncle got caught in a PTO decades ago, he recovered, but not fully.. I keep clear of them, and am particularly mindful of loose clothing... There's dangers around every corner on the farm, and there's always one that'll get you (just the darned trailer hitch on the truck), and hopefully you'll be able to steer clear of the bad ones

Our librarian at the high school lost her arm (elbow down) in a PTO a few years ago. Her sleeve got caught, and ripped her arm off. Not good. The community rallied around her family and helped them through it. Small towns do that....

I know a couple people who have met bad times with the PTO. That thing scares me to death but I still catch myself being careless from time to time.

What i learned you need to watch out for is a fertilizer spreader after the weight has moved to the back and you unhook from it :shock: :nod:

Jogeephus":7c4qvj6k said:
I know a couple people who have met bad times with the PTO. That thing scares me to death but I still catch myself being careless from time to time.

To me that's probably scarier. I'm the same way. I'll catch myself, usually after the fact, and think man I just got lucky.

Same thing happened in this area several years ago. A mans daughter was helping dig post holes and her hair was caught in the auger. Also if all PTO covers were kept in good working order and secured with a chain or cable at each point they are designed for then there would be no PTO accidents. You cannot shield the post hole digger auger but you can keep the hair done up in a tight ball or under a cap also no need to be close enough to the auger if the digging points are sharp and in good shape and not worn out.

A guy in our county is bad with cancer. When his hat was ready to cut the whole community showed up. They said they had four balers going at one time.

Latest posts