Farm accident kills 3 yr old child

Help Support CattleToday:

Son of Butch

Reaction score
Talk about sad news coming out of Wisconsin today...
A 3 year old was struck and killed by 5 year old brother driving a skid loader picking rock in a field with their mother.

I can't begin to imagine the grief that family must be experiencing.

A nightmare!!! Not only the loss of the 3 year old but the guilt of placing the operation of a heavy piece of complex equipment in the care of a 5 year old! An absolute nightmare.

Brute 23":1x7s1hda said:
Bright Raven":1x7s1hda said:
A nightmare!!! Not only the loss of the 3 year old but the guilt of placing the operation of a heavy piece of complex equipment in the care of a 5 year old! An absolute nightmare.

Its a sad situation but I don't see how the driver being 5 plays in.

Not sure I'm following, but if a 5 yr old was truly driving any piece of equipment on his on it's ........ no 5 yr old should drive anything except a bike, tricycle or battery operated little kid toy.

Brute 23":h7id4tdi said:
Bright Raven":h7id4tdi said:

I am only wondering as a parent if the mother will blame herself for trusting a 5 year old to run a skid steer. That is pretty young to even allow them to operate a tractor.

Alan":mceeqxcv said:
Brute 23":mceeqxcv said:
Bright Raven":mceeqxcv said:

Not sure I'm following, but if a 5 yr old was truly driving any piece of equipment on his on it's ........ no 5 yr old should drive anything except a bike, tricycle or battery operated little kid toy.

That was my concern and that the mother might have a sense of guilt.

Brute 23":wxvejj2o said:
Bright Raven":wxvejj2o said:

I know, I know ya'll down south have been safely operating farm equipment since you were four years old.

A 5 yr old knows right from wrong and will carry the guilt of an oops resulting death for the rest of his life.
What he probably won't ever comprehend is that it isn't his fault that his brother is dead.
The fault lies with the parents poor judgment that put him in a position to cause such an awful oops!

Son of Butch":2pfqmfgy said:
Brute 23":2pfqmfgy said:
Bright Raven":2pfqmfgy said:

I know, I know ya'll down south have been safely operating farm equipment since you were four years old.

A 5 yr old knows right from wrong and will carry the guilt of an oops resulting death for the rest of his life.
What he probably won't ever comprehend is it isn't his fault that his brother is dead.
The fault lies with the parents poor judgment that put him in a position to cause such an awful oops!

Tragedy regardless. I think the mother will care some guilt too.

Bright Raven":2zd3wy43 said:
Son of Butch":2zd3wy43 said:
Brute 23":2zd3wy43 said:

What he probably won't ever comprehend is that it isn't his fault that his brother is dead.

Tragedy regardless. I think the mother will carry some guilt too.
As well she should! But I wouldn't wish that type of grief on anyone.

No, its not uncommon for a 5 year old to do things of that nature. The little guy was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Its just part of life, sad things happen. He just as easily could have been killed in a car accident on the way to the grocery store. Its not always some one fault.

Bright Raven":2tqh9s79 said:
Son of Butch":2tqh9s79 said:
Brute 23":2tqh9s79 said:

What he probably won't ever comprehend is it isn't his fault that his brother is dead.

Tragedy regardless. I think the mother will care some guilt too.
Some guilt??? She's lucky if she doesn't end up facing charges.

Brute 23":17qhdwbc said:
No, its not uncommon for a 5 year old to do things of that nature. The little guy was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Its just part of life, sad things happen. He just as easily could have been killed in a car accident on the way to the grocery store. Its not always some one fault.

I should be lurking and not posting........ but WOW! The kid is just out of diapers by a couple of years..... your wrong

Brute 23":22lfij2h said:
Actually it almost always is. But I guess Texans just don't believe in taking personal responsibility.

A parent's number one responsibility is care and protection of their children, not the development of a 3 year old's
skill to pick cotton or rocks. As much as my heart goes out to her, this mother failed miserably on multiple counts.

I don't think the issue is with the 5 yr old driving the skidsteer rightly or wrongly but if you do choose to let them operate it and I am one that would probably let my grandson do it then you must ensure that they do it in a safe environment for themselves and anyone around. The 3yr old should not have been within cooee distance of the machine.

Ken

wbvs58":3nm9074f said:
I don't think the issue is with the 5 yr old driving the skidsteer rightly or wrongly but if you do choose to let them operate it and I am one that would probably let my grandson do it then you must ensure that they do it in a safe environment for themselves and anyone around. The 3yr old should not have been within cooee distance of the machine.

Ken

I haven't posted in a while, but I feel the need to reply...again. I disagree, one of my sons showed my 7 year old granddaughter where the gas throttle was on the 4 wheeler and how to start it. Her farther jumped on the back with her up front, she started it and dump him off the back, she let go of everything and dad didn't get hurt. Her uncle that showed her how to, got an ear full from me and I locked the key in my safe. Small kids can steer with an adult on board but has no business driving or operating equipment.

The mother certainly had a part in the disaster. Although we don't know every detail there could be parts they are leaving out. News has a tendency to do that.
Not matter if it was or was not the mothers fault it is something she shouldn't have to go through.

So sad. I can't even imagine what this family is going through. My daughter is 3 1/2 and is my world. She is often in the skid steer and tractor WITH me. I figure if someone is moving a piece of equipment, be it car/truck, semi, tractor, skid steer or whatever, she is safer in it with an adult than on the ground around it. She can steer stuff pretty well at this point, just because of the sheer number of hours she has spent in equipment with her family, but I would never let her drive any of it by herself for many years to come yet. Just a risk I can't see taking....

My family and I were just dang lucky I guess. We started our kids off way to young, but I didn't want to hold them back.
I can't imagine the pain that family is enduring.

It doesn't matter if you start at 5, 8, or 50. You have to start some time and there are risks.

No doubt some thing went wrong. I had enough close calls as a kid that could have easily been me.

No matter how great of parents people pretend to be on the enet, as a parent, we know how tough it is to control a child every single second of the day. If you think you are that perfect you are fooling yourself. There was not enough info give to start making assumptions about the mother or the situation.

Latest posts