Fancy Simmentals

Help Support CattleToday:

Central Fl Cracker":2c649bvq said:
I asked on another thread about something similiar. Is there Bulls that can add that kind of weight to your calves at weening?

Well, it all depends on the bulls you are using now. If the bulls you are using are bottom end bulls, and/or just don't compliment your cows, you can probably find something that WOULD add 100 lbs. If you are using the right bulls on your cows, probably not. If you are using bulls of the same breed as your cows, you can likely add 25 lbs (or more) just by changing the breed of your bulls. There are a lot of factors that affect weaning weights, even beyond the bulls you are using. Feed is the biggest one, if your cows are not fed right or enough, different bulls won't help you. If your cows don't have the milk, they can't raise the calf either.

These won shows in Florida?
I promise, we have better Simmentals in Florida. They havent won any big shows, thats for sure. I will post a pic of this years Grand Champion from the State Fair, now he's in my pasture.

Central Fl Cracker":2cn96xcf said:
I asked on another thread about something similiar. Is there Bulls that can add that kind of weight to your calves at weening?

It depends on your cows. If you have moderate framed British or "American" cows, you can come in with a large framed, heavy muscled exotic and get a substantial increase in weaning weight provided you have enough grass and/or other groceries for the calves to grow out to their potential. I think a lot of cow-calf folks would be shocked at what their existing cows could do with better pastures and a well thought out mineral program. You use a terminal sire to bump up the weaning weights (and even some of the very growthiest Angus sires qualify as terminal to me) don't keep the heifers or you will lose carrying capacity.

As a cattle novice, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't buy them for bulls. If they won shows, I wonder what the other bulls looked like :???:

Please do post picture of that grand champ. I would like to compare so I know my impression is correct.

Central Fl Cracker":3gcv4n30 said:

It depends on your cows. If you have moderate framed British or "American" cows, you can come in with a large framed, heavy muscled exotic and get a substantial increase in weaning weight provided you have enough grass and/or other groceries for the calves to grow out to their potential. I think a lot of cow-calf folks would be shocked at what their existing cows could do with better pastures and a well thought out mineral program. You use a terminal sire to bump up the weaning weights (and even some of the very growthiest Angus sires qualify as terminal to me) don't keep the heifers or you will lose carrying capacity.

Central Fl Cracker":3o4xp5c5 said:

I have a few young bulls that are worth around $50,000 a piece if someone would pay me that for them. I will guarantee you that they will add up to 100 lbs to your current weaning weight. ;-) Ever heard this pitch before? Essentially guaranteeing nothing but it sounds good don't it. :nod:

CFC, I have often wondered what my calves would do if I put them on the same nutritional plane as some of these pure bred folks. I bet you would be shocked yourself if you gave them free choice feed and such. Problem I've noticed is that these same animals fall apart when they have to work. JMO

Latest posts