Family squabbles

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Seeing all of the family issues that people bring up on here makes me all the more happy that I left my family in Washington.

Ha. I moved across the country and the family followed me. It was nice and quiet for awhile there.

I farm, my brother farms, and my dad farms. We all do our own thing, on our own places. We seldom do anything the same way. I've always been of the opinion that a man should paddle his own canoe. Subsequently we have never argued. I love my family dearly, but I would have no intrest in farming with either one of them.

No brothers and sisters, but other wise I am the black sheep of the family. Cousin lives right over the hill, she won't even wave as I drive by, seem to not even wave at the neighbors.

dun":3mhefojy said:
Seeing all of the family issues that people bring up on here makes me all the more happy that I left my family in Washington.

I agree I have some I only talk to to be .... Neighborly like.

You can pick your nose, you can pick your butt, you can pick your friends .... But you can't pick your family!

Aint no squabbles here as it is my way or the highway as I am the patriarch of the family. As I tell them I am your dad or grandpa it is my job to tell you the truth and provide guidance not be your friend. I tell everyone when they get here if they don't like what they hear the road they came in on is not tore up. Same thing that was told to me growing up.
You will be respectful while you are here and say yes sir and no sir, you will come to the table fully dressed hair combed hand's and face washed with shoe's on. Then we will thank our Lord and Savior for our blessing's. You will sit down and eat with the family and participate in the conversation, show up late so sad.

I am getting even more cantankerous in my old age.

dun":2ffnhjjc said:
Agh man....you know they miss you in ways they don't understand.

I guess I am the lucky one. Only one that comes around much is my brother, and he is identical twin. We worked together many years, and pretty much do things the same way. Rest of the family (older than me) needs my help too much and too often to give me any static about anything at all. No shade trees in my yard also serves to keep almost everyone away in summer and no wind breaks keeps 'em away in winter as well.

The only family I associate with is my wife and kids
My dads side wanted everything my grandad built and didn't want anybody else to have any part in it except when they needed a strong back and they expect it to be done without question and for free.
I called bs on the whole deal and very seldom see them( my dads brother did the same)
They are old now and it looks like the part of the family that wouldn't do for themselves and mooched off them all this time will get it
If I have anything to leave my kids I'm going split it up and give them each a part
All an estate and an executor does is cause fights and hard feelings

I've been staying out of those threads. When the thread starts... I did a deal with my drunk uncle... is there really a need to go any further? :bang:

Some people just get abused by their family and have no problem with it. I am not one of those people. Good relationships are built... not bred.

Brute 23":bz676frm said:
I've been staying out of those threads. When the thread starts... I did a deal with my drunk uncle... is there really a need to go any further? :bang:

Some people just get abused by their family and have no problem with it. I am not one of those people. Good relationships are built... not bred.

Yup, right on. Sometimes a hard lesson to learn that you just need to cut some people loose from you and yours.

Alan":233vm37y said:
You can pick your nose, you can pick your butt, you can pick your friends .... But you can't pick your family!

You can marry in, adopt, and/or avoid. Seems like there is a lot of picking potential. :nod:
There are a lot of "lost boys" in our area - - not enough capital to farm and not willing to move to the city. We are adopting some. I like to put them on small squares or rocks early to identify potential.

Brute 23":114v3r1s said:
Good relationships are built... not bred.

We get reliable help from a small circle of friends. One call and they are on the way. Only problem is a few of the friends are competitive with each other and don't get along well.

We have an family camp out/rodeo/hay ride/barn dance twice a year, and a deer hunting party once a year. The extended family shows up for these events. The older generation points out a couple things that need to be done, and a few of the nieces/nephews adopt us because we are "fun".

dun":3csr6iiu said:

Does seems there's been a rash of that lately. I have no complaints . Life is good, I am happy, family is happy. friends are loyal, beer is cold..............I am truly blessed. :nod: :nod:

I can say....
I will be happy when the city cousins go home.
I do not understand why they come here if it makes them unhappy to be hot, tired, and dirty.

NMVaquero":2eyi1tlo said:
I can say....
I do not understand why they come here if it makes them unhappy to be hot, tired, and dirty.
City golks, who understands them?

NMVaquero":s7nz7pmh said:
I can say....
may bring balance to their lives :cowboy:

ALACOWMAN":2lt4vmwv said:
NMVaquero":2lt4vmwv said:
I can say....
may bring balance to their lives :cowboy:

Nope, they come in and try to tell us how to do every thing. Being that "they made it" to the big city they feel qualified to tell the rest of us how things work.