Family photo

Help Support CattleToday:

I've grazed that pasture harder than I should. I moved them to another. With all the rain we are getting, figure I can get away with some heavier grazing. Ran a shedder over the sumac in the picture.

Big Brother came back.

http://cattletoday.com/photos/showphoto ... puser=3269

LW 1235, HW 729, age 23 months, breed- Red Angus
This was a grassfed steer. I feel we could have finished him sooner. I'm shooting for 18 months. The drought we had made grassfed a challenge. We were concerned about the meat quality. Went on the grill right after this picture. Eating good now :D

Last 60 days they were on a ryegrass/crimson clover mix. It seems to have put a nice finish on them. I wish I would have weighed them the day they went on the ryegrass. They were putting the weight on those last 60 days. I'm working on a forage chain that will work in my environment. Right now centered on the native grasses. Ryegrass/crimson is not a native. I used it to help get me out of a bad situation (drought). Eastern Gamma grass was the most productive grass thru the drought period. I planted about 40 acres of it this past spring. It takes a while to get started. In the mean time I'll be grazing a corn-LabLab mix this july/aug if the weather works out (grazing corn before milk stage). LabLab is a nitrogen fixer which will climb the corn giving the cows a nice mix with each bit and give the corn a little nitrogen. I've got a few other experiments going on as well. My goal is to have a forage chain of native grasses. I believe it is doable. But I can also see that some of the introduced grasses/plants may help fill the voids. One other note- I have not even gone into animal genetics. It plays an important role on the ability to finish on grass. Was happy with the finish we got in the picture. But working to get it a notch or two higher.

Bluestem":3o7bzn9q said:
Last 60 days they were on a ryegrass/crimson clover mix. It seems to have put a nice finish on them. I wish I would have weighed them the day they went on the ryegrass. They were putting the weight on those last 60 days. I'm working on a forage chain that will work in my environment. Right now centered on the native grasses. Ryegrass/crimson is not a native. I used it to help get me out of a bad situation (drought). Eastern Gamma grass was the most productive grass thru the drought period. I planted about 40 acres of it this past spring. It takes a while to get started. In the mean time I'll be grazing a corn-LabLab mix this july/aug if the weather works out (grazing corn before milk stage). LabLab is a nitrogen fixer which will climb the corn giving the cows a nice mix with each bit and give the corn a little nitrogen. I've got a few other experiments going on as well. My goal is to have a forage chain of native grasses. I believe it is doable. But I can also see that some of the introduced grasses/plants may help fill the voids. One other note- I have not even gone into animal genetics. It plays an important role on the ability to finish on grass. Was happy with the finish we got in the picture. But working to get it a notch or two higher.
- Bluestem- Could you please go into a little more detail regarding the "LabLab" mix? What is the Protein percentage?

DOC HARRIS

Crude Protein from 18 to 22 percent. DDM 59%. The botanical name is Lablab purpureus. I believe it is native to Africa. The Australians have done a lot of research on Lablab as a forage. Thought I would give it a try. Maybe Knersie form South Africa or some of the posters from Australia can give use more information on the grass and hay board.