False heats..??

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Another member mentioned false heats while we were having a discussion after trucking a cow. Bought a cow that was examined safe in calf about 4 months, 2 days after getting her home she is in heat.

Someone mentioned that false heats sometimes happen after trucking, she also just had her 6 moth old calf pulled when purchased.

So if there are false heats, will a bull breed them on one?

False or not the bull bred her, so to him it was real.

Herd manager calls them follicular heats. We use all AI, so not sure about the bull. But I've seen pregnant cows in standing heats repeatedly.

Tom, I asked the same question a while back after my heifers were bred. I noticed on several occasions the heifers mounting each other but the Bull never did try. This went on for several months so I decided to get a blood sample to send in and have them preg checked. The all came back positive.

I was told by another person on here that it is common even in older cows.

Yesterday two of my bred heifers were trying to mount a young bull but he wasn't paying them any attention. Another young heifer was in heat and had just been bred by another bull in the pasture next to them. They were standing at the fenceline separating them. I've also had cows that were several months bred stand for a bull.

Worried about this one because I bought this cow out of a purebred sale, examined safe to a 6-1 AI date. Si its is get her checked by my vet or take her back I guess.

Latest posts