Fall Snowstorm and Blizzard!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
We have an early season snowstorm and blizzard hitting Montana...Some southern parts of the state already have a FOOT & a HALF of snow- and its supposed to continue thru the weekend...None here yet- but they're predicting we could get a FOOT or better over the weekend...

TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS WILL BE BETWEEN 1
AND 2 FEET BY THE TIME THE SNOW TAPERS OFF SUNDAY NIGHT.

Sure going to be tough on all the cows still out on the range- and if it stays could be tough on haystacks and feed supplies for the winter...

I hope it isn't a repeat of 2003 when winter hit the end of October- gave us a record 80+ inches of snow, and didn't leave til May....

man if yall get hitt by that storm itll slow things down for awhile.it hurts when you have to start feeding early.

It's 10:09 pm and it's 68 degrees outside. Supposed to be 82 here in s.e. Ky tomorrow and you're expecting a foot or more of snow. Hmmmmmmmmm. Thank you Lord for setting me down where you did! :D

I sure hope you keep that stuff up your way, I am not ready for it yet!!! We are supposed to get a real nice weekend, up in the 70's during the day....goes to 30's - 40's at night.

Still not getting much here- a little "snain"- but it hasn't even got the ground wet- temp is 37 degrees...But the radar shows its slowly moving north and east....Just talked to my daughter in Big Timber who was coming home today and she said its snowing hard there with bad visibility on the roads...

I understand this is picking up "tropical moisture" from whats left over of Hurricane Norbert...Sure wish we could have got that "tropical moisture" in July when it would have felt "tropical".. :|

Heres a link to some pictures of a ranch located in south central Montana- and whats supposed to be headed our direction:

http://ranchers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=304951#304951

Oldtimer":2yddkejd said:
We have an early season snowstorm and blizzard hitting Montana...Some southern parts of the state already have a FOOT & a HALF of snow- and its supposed to continue thru the weekend...None here yet- but they're predicting we could get a FOOT or better over the weekend...

Sure going to be tough on all the cows still out on the range- and if it stays could be tough on haystacks and feed supplies for the winter...

I hope it isn't a repeat of 2003 when winter hit the end of October- gave us a record 80+ inches of snow, and didn't leave til May....

So? I guess I'm missing your point.

ND because you are crazy like the rest of us. :lol2: Just kidding.
Had a small skift of snow yesterday morning and then nothing til this morning. We had about a 1/2" when we got up and it is still coming down.
Sister called from down south. They got 8" overnight on top of what they got in the last couple of days. Sounds like the town they are at is closed because of all the snow.

msscamp":nng3t8e1 said:
Oldtimer":nng3t8e1 said:

So? I guess I'm missing your point.

My point is that if snow comes now and stays- and folks start having to feed instead of being able to graze into December or January like usually, there won't be enough hay available to feed a lot of them...

It snowed all night here- was melting as fast as it hit the warm ground and didn't start sticking until about 4 AM...Only have about 3 inchs now of wet slop- temp is 31-- but the predictions are for up to a foot more thru today and into tomorrow... Snowing pretty heavy right now...
And it sounds like the roads in the southern part of the state where its been snowing the last couple days are terrible...
I think this we have up here will melt and not stay the winter as they are predicting temps in the 50's and 60's later in the week...But like I said I've seen years where it didn't...

We needed the moisture- but if I had my druthers I'd druther have had rain...

On a happier note.........

This is the first year in at least nine years that we have not had snow in September. It has gotten cold and has froze quite good in the middle of the night but no snow.. :banana: :banana:

My bedding plants lasted until the first week of October,,,a first for us ever..

Tomorrow is supposed to be a balmy +17 celsius ,that is what, around 65 Fahrenheit..

Loving this weather, HATE winter more and more every year, I would move to a more tropical climate if it weren't for the bugs and snakes and hurricanes etc..,,,,,,... :cowboy:

Well, we ended with about 4 1/2" out of it. We were supposed to get the cows out of the Community pasture tomorrow, but I don't imagine that will happen now.

We needed the moisture- but if I had my druthers I'd druther have had rain...[/quote] yep me too. a good rain leaves the ground a little tighter .. melting snow is great on a hay field, with no traffic. but mush when cattle are tromping. what do summers last y'all any way?.... couple weeks :p our start around april and last till it takes a dam notion ;-)

Alacowman- a lot of years we can graze up here from May to Dec/January- sometimes even into Feb- only giving a little hay because the pasture is getting low...This year if the permanent snow stays away- I may have enough grass to graze until January...And your right about that snow doing wonders putting moisture back in the ground.....

Well our snowstorm finally quit about 6AM- and now the sun is shining, but it isn't very warm out..Temp is 27...

Weather bureau says we ended up with 14 inchs of snow and about an inch of moisture- (altho it seems more than that as huge as the water puddles are under the snow when you walk thru it)...Still have about 10 inchs of snow on the level...More than we get a lot of winters..

The wind blew hard enough to blow some areas in the pastures clear- and my cows are doing plumb fine until this stuff gets melted with the warm temps (60's) they are predicting by the end of the week- and hopefully puts a little water back in the creek and brings the spring levels up..

Sure be nice to get a nice long Indian Summer now that would last til about January..

The Sandhill cranes must have seen enough- and think winter is on its way...Flock after flock of them going over today headed south...Can't hear yourself think for all their chirping...

Red Lodge got 40 inches of snow.
Ours is all melted here. Got a small rain shower this morning.
Got a great big full moon rising tonight.

Oldtimer":38un54hx said:

Well, it finally made its way here. It's been raining off and on all day. Had 6/10ths rain :banana: by 6 PM and it is still drizzling every now and then. Let the dogs out a while ago and it seems to be a little cooler, 66 and wind is turning to the north. Heard some of those sandhill cranes going over. I guess Fall is visiting Texas for a few days.