Fall Pasture Pictures

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
I spent the afternoon moving some of the cows over into the fall pasture/stubble fields...With the almost 2" of rain we had the last couple of weeks up there- even the old dry crested wheat is greening up on the bottom- so they didn't know where to start first...

cows7-2-08044.jpg

cows7-2-08043.jpg

cows7-2-08037.jpg

A nice looking heifer calf following her mother...These are mostly the older cows or later calvers as the younger ones and heifers are in the community pasture and won't be brought home til October...

cows7-2-08039.jpg

cows7-2-08042.jpg

Calves should pick up a bloom off this...From the eartag it looks like the Bannon bulls head in the corner of the picture...I had to trail thru the bulls and horses- and meant to leave the bulls- but my dogs were too efficient when I wasn't paying attention- and brought up the bulls too which I had to cut out....

cows7-2-08026.jpg

Some even found the stubble fields- where the volunteer wheat coming up makes it pretty tasty....

cows7-2-08045.jpg

My last "white angus" calf is looking pretty good- naturally found the kochia and weeds first...The old building in the background was built by my Grandpa in 1917 as the first house they lived in until the got the big house built...Now we use it as a grainery...

cows7-2-08034.jpg

The little Whitney Creek Legacy bull is in pretty good shape for having spent the summer chasing every cow that moved up until a couple weeks ago....

cows7-2-08035.jpg

Some of the mares found the open gate too....

I always enjoy your pics, good to see cattle thriving on native grassland. You just need a herefordbull on those black cows ;-) thanks for sharing

love looking at the countryside...and your cattle..they both look great...especially your "white angus"..i made a trip through montana 2 yrs. ago..beautiful country..

TNMasterBeefProducer":1xcpbomp said:
Good commercial cows and calves. Bull looks a little funnell butt though.

I think the little bull is better than this angle in the picture shows...Definitely is compared to some of the others...I'll give him another year and see how he fills out...I thought he was in pretty good shape for just coming off the cows...I expected he'd be skin and bones after chasing 300+ cows thru several sections of pasture for 3+ months..I know some of the other young bulls looked like greyhounds ;-) And this bull was a worker-- I'd watch him and he'd spend all day moving from cow to cow checking them out- and I think he checked every one every day :shock: I don't know when he took time to eat....

I love that blue sky :cboy: I need to find a way to live and ranch in Montana in the spring, summer and fall.....and then move back to Tennessee for the winter :D

Looks like a good hardworking set of cows. I thought the little bull had plenty of depth and gut, and was in good condition all in all. I would like to see the muscling carry down lower in his rear, but I wouldn't classify him as a funnel rear, and sounds like he does the job for you just fine.

As you may have suspected, I am very partial to those occasional baldies that somehow made it into your herd. Feel free to post more pics of them :D Are they the result of a neighboring bull, or did you buy them, or used to have some old herf cows they came out of, or used to have a herf bull in the mix?

seems to be a tougher crowd here than at the other forum OT, lol , good looking cattle.

greenwillowhereford II":35rel2le said:
Looks like a good hardworking set of cows. I thought the little bull had plenty of depth and gut, and was in good condition all in all. I would like to see the muscling carry down lower in his rear, but I wouldn't classify him as a funnel rear, and sounds like he does the job for you just fine.

As you may have suspected, I am very partial to those occasional baldies that somehow made it into your herd. Feel free to post more pics of them :D Are they the result of a neighboring bull, or did you buy them, or used to have some old herf cows they came out of, or used to have a herf bull in the mix?

I agree that I would like a little more muscling in his rear...I think the way he has muscled up this summer he may still fill out some there too...Won't know how he's doing throwing the genes he's got until calves come next year...

What I was totally shocked with was that he was in as good a condition he was in after spending from May on breeding cows..Because some of the bulls that weren't out as long as him and even older were in lot poorer shape- some looking like greyhounds...

We always had some herefords- and for a few years, 25 years ago, we ran some hereford/simmental cross bulls along with the angus bulls...I also picked up a few purebred hereford cows from a local breeder a few years ago- and saved some of their baldy calves for heifers..Got rid of the last one last year...Besides the baldies the only thing on the place that isn't black is that "white angus's" mother- and she is actually almost all angus with less than a 1/16th charolais, that came about because of a neighbor 25 years ago that ran char bulls for a few years...

ALACOWMAN":1kgz1uaz said:
I just seen this same thread on ranchers, not one mention of funnel butt...hmmm aint that funny?

Oh I think much of it is a difference in grazing/feeding philosophy- and how cattle are handled...Over on that site there are many more that are seeing the demand/advantages for cattle that run in big country- and rough country that can convert grass/feed more efficiently- and that don't need to have tons of grain poured to them...That was one reason I was happy to see this bull and the Bannon of Wye bull I bought last fall both come off the cows in good shape- and actually gaining weight thruout the breeding season-- as potential mama makers that can raise cows that can raise a good calf, keep their condition while doing it, and survive the winter on just forage...

While this bull was developed on forage only--I watched some same age yearling bulls this summer that had come off the bull test lots, butcher fat, after putting on 3-4-5 lbs a day gain on grain rations all winter- and as soon as they hit the big pastures for breeding they just fell apart...I haven't weighed him- but I'd bet this bull put on 200-300 lbs during the breeding season on grass-- while some of those hard pushed bulls probably came off the cows at less weight then when they went into the tests on :roll:

Oldtimer":v6p9mmx4 said:
ALACOWMAN":v6p9mmx4 said:
I just seen this same thread on ranchers, not one mention of funnel butt...hmmm aint that funny?

Oh I think much of it is a difference in grazing/feeding philosophy- and how cattle are handled...
  • >>Over on that site there are many more that are seeing the demand/advantages for cattle that run in big country- and rough country that can convert grass/feed more efficiently- and that don't need to have tons of grain poured to them...<<<<
That was one reason I was happy to see this bull and the Bannon of Wye bull I bought last fall both come off the cows in good shape- and actually gaining weight thruout the breeding season-- as potential mama makers that can raise cows that can raise a good calf, keep their condition while doing it, and survive the winter on just forage...

While this bull was developed on forage only--I watched some same age yearling bulls this summer that had come off the bull test lots, butcher fat, after putting on 3-4-5 lbs a day gain on grain rations all winter- and as soon as they hit the big pastures for breeding they just fell apart...I haven't weighed him- but I'd bet this bull put on 200-300 lbs during the breeding season on grass-- while some of those hard pushed bulls probably came off the cows at less weight then when they went into the tests on :roll:
you'r making those folks sound like ranchers.

SFFarms":1aq9rfdu said:
Great Pictures! :) In the third picture what type of grass is that? (Foxtail)?

Mostly crested wheat grass- a little native grass mixed in along with some alfalfa in that "improved" pasture...We usually graze that pasture early in the spring- and again later in the summer/fall...The cows don't like the crested wheat as well after it gets headed out- but will gobble it up with that new green growth down below....The crested wheatgrass is an early growing grass- and greens as soon as the snow goes off, long before the native grasses- so I usually leave a good amount of the old grass thru the winter so they have something to go with that green washy grass...
That pasture and the stubble fields really put a bloom on the calves... :D

ALACOWMAN":902259y8 said:
"Funnel Butt" is a Space Cowboy term.
Nice photos, Old Timer.

The "funnel butt" people have no idea what type of cattle we need to cover ground, put on weight and to have bulls with a no open cow policy. A large dry pasture with a long way to water is a different world then their 10 acre paddocks.
OT, nice cattle and market topping calves.

mnmtranching":1pomwb8q said:
The "funnel butt" people have no idea what type of cattle we need to cover ground, put on weight and to have bulls with a no open cow policy. A large dry pasture with a long way to water is a different world then their 10 acre paddocks.
OT, nice cattle and market topping calves.

Quite a large percentage of the funnel butts on the range will have big bulging rears on most of the pastures I;ve seen posted here.

The true funnell butt is those bulls with no rear on the lush green improved pastures I so often see posted.