Fall pairs

Help Support CattleToday:

dompeters84

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm new to cattle sales. What do they mean by fall pairs? I'm going to the sydgen angus sale in November. They have a section called fall pairs. Does it mean you bidding on the cow and her calf? Also heifer pairs and bull calf pairs... Same question? Thanks for your help. The web site for sydgen is www.sydgen.com

Yes at the sydgen sale the fall pairs will be a cow and a ~2 month old calf selling at her side, one price gets you both cow and the baby calf.

The section that says heifer pairs and bull pairs will be a spring bred cow (due Jan - Mar 2013) and her 10 month old heifer or bull calf. Those will come into the ring and the winning bidder will get choice of the cow or the 10 month old calf. After the winning bidder picks one, then they will sell the other one or you can double the bid price and take them both. So basically on the heifer/bull pairs you can either buy a bred cow (likely due in January or Feburary) or her 10 month old calf for the bid price.

Been to that sale alot and good cows seem to be spread evenly in both the fall pairs and spring pairs. I would concentrate on whichever breeding season you currently use (spring or fall).